Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

jdavis37

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

I am now using a Canon 5D3 with 500F4 L IS II + 1.4X TC for much of my bird photography and taking frequent day trips 2 hours west of me in pursuit of different birds. I have 2 wonderful bags, the Gura Gear 32L and Tamrac 5793. I love the padding and security of the Tamrac but dislike always having to reverse the hood, especially given I very recently had an issue with the screwlock on the hood.

Thus, I have bags for air travel and for times when size matters. But I would like a larger bag for my day trips to avoid having to reverse the hood multiple times in a day.

The only bags I have found that seem to meet my demands are the Kinesis L611 and L622 (the newer Lenscoat bag just does not secure the camera well enough for my likes). I am leaning toward the L611 because it is more slender and has an opening that may make it easier to insert and remove the camera.

But, how well protected is the 611 as compared to the 622? I have searched the internet for reviews on these bags and not finding much, realizing they are an expensive specialty bag. I saw a now discontinued Kata bag I thought might work but even it is a bit short on the inside. Thanks in advance, John.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM
xnavyguy

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

I have the L622 with the L127 lid and it's a perfect fit for my Nikon D4s, 600mm F4 with a 1.4 TC attached with the hood in the shooting position. It's fairly easy to get in an out (I reach in and lift by the tripod collar) but still holds the gear steady during transportation. It's padded very well so I'm not worried about my gear getting damaged.

Jul 26, 2014 at 03:13 PM
jdavis37

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

xnavyguy wrote:
I have the L622 with the L127 lid and it's a perfect fit for my Nikon D4s, 600mm F4 with a 1.4 TC attached with the hood in the shooting position. It's fairly easy to get in an out (I reach in and lift by the tripod collar) but still holds the gear steady during transportation. It's padded very well so I'm not worried about my gear getting damaged.

Thx xnavy. Sounds like the bag is doing very well for you! The only "concern" I had with the 622 was mostly it's diameter given the 600F4's fit so well and the 500 is slimmer. I would probably just do the 611 if I had more feedback about how well padded it is. I'll buy the doughnut to go around the lens near the camera mount with eithe rcase and of course the 622 has the bottom add on to assist with the slimmer lenses.

Thanks for the positive feedback. In hindsight I now wish I had bought this to start with. I know it sounds very chintzy to get tired of reversing the hood, but it does when doing so multiple times in same day. I am less concerned with the need for quick get the shot aspects but even that would be nice at times.

Thx again for the feedback John

Jul 26, 2014 at 03:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

The x11 bags are not as study or well padded as the x22 bags, but they weigh less. My 511 finally was too saggy to use and I replaced it a Vertex (for vehicle use).

EBH

Jul 26, 2014 at 04:01 PM
jdavis37

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

EB-1 wrote:
The x11 bags are not as study or well padded as the x22 bags, but they weigh less. My 511 finally was too saggy to use and I replaced it a Vertex (for vehicle use).

EBH

Thx EBH..... did you feel the x11 bags were protective enough to feel secure using it, or did it leave something to be desired? I am assuming the X11's will not stand upright on their own without some droop or sag.

On the Vertex.. same question. How much support/protection do you get form it? In other words when I first saw the new Lenscoat I was actually encouraged as it could be used as a carry on for airplane travel (reverse hood shorten bag) or as a hood in position shooter. But read a goiod review that essentially said a 500mm F4 + camera would swim around on the inside.

The Vertex looks nicely made but my initial thoughts were how much padding doe sit have and how secure is camera inside bag/ My Tamrac 5793 very securely holds camera in place and is very well padded. But hood has to be reversed.

Thx again for the post! John

Jul 26, 2014 at 04:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

The x22, Tamrac, etc. bags are more protective. I don't use the x11 or Vertex bag as a carryon; they go in the luggage. Previously I used a Lowepro for the 500/4 + full system carryon, but have recently transitioned to the Gura Gear bags. If you need one bag for all and hike long distances, then the choices are not so simple. I'd probably have something custom made or start with the closest option and have it modified.

EBH

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:44 AM
jdavis37

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

EB-1 wrote:
The x22, Tamrac, etc. bags are more protective. I don't use the x11 or Vertex bag as a carryon. I've transitioned to the Gura Gear bags for the 500/4 + full system carryon.

EBH

Thx EB..

Carry on is not a criteria for this purchase. I have a Gura Gear 32L and Tamrac 5793, either of which will work for carry on (though these days if not a preferred traveler for given air line one is at risk for them saying no room left for carry on).

I want something that will offer good protection while traveling locally or via car when frequent setup and put back will occur. Had my hood not had the problem with screwlock I would have been content with the Tamrac 5793 for day travel (hood has to be reversed). Am waiting for some small eclips to arrive to attempt a better fix for the hood. The new hood does not seem to have easy access to change out entire screwlock.

I have decided to buy the L611 as it seems to offer what I am looking for. Will see. The Vertex is also avery nice bag but timing all but ruled that out. Will post my first impressions when the bag and accessories arrive. Am hopeful this works out well. And still need to find out if the screwlock can be replaced on the ET-138 W II hood (for life of me I do not see how to access the screw lock..

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:54 AM
sigmon

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

I would like to know how your purchase turned out. How was the padding in the L611? Thanks

Feb 21, 2015 at 01:25 AM
jdavis37

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

sigmon wrote:
I would like to know how your purchase turned out. How was the padding in the L611? Thanks

I initially bought an L611 bag and accessories. It is a well made bag overall. But for me it did not offer enough padding to make me feel secure about my camera + larger lens being in back of car, etc.. Th L611 is a narrow bag as well so a camera body + 500F4 fit fairly snuggly. Others may prefer that fit and is an individual thing. In no way am I suggesting the bag is bad etc. It just wasn't offering the level of padding/protection I desired. The Tamrac 5793 offers a ton of padding and protection (but requires lens hood to be reversed which can get old if removing from bag often).

I returned the L611 and bought an L622 and it was an instant love affair that has not yet worn off. The L622 is larger but offers more substantial protection and is easy to get the camera in and out. I bought the lens liner for the bottom and have the padded collar at the top. My camera + 500F4 + 1.4X TC now pretty much permanently reside in that bag. When I need it takes about 2 seconds to have camera out and ready.

If you are wanting a more slender bag the L611 will work. The padding is okay but not nearly as substantial as the Tamrac 5793 or the L622. The L622 has a more rigid design for the outside walls whereas the L611 can be folded which in a way could be advantage L611 for travelling. Hope this helps!

As Thom Hogan wrote a while back.. in the end each of us has to find what works for us in particular. The L611 is a good bag but it just did not wow me like the L622 did which is larger and more substantial. Others may desire a less substantial smaller bag and in that case the L611 will work better for them.

Feb 21, 2015 at 08:29 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

I use the "Big Lens Bag" from Vertex. It was discussed in this thread last year,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1271207/0&year=2014#12124235

...and the Vertex site is here,

http://www.vertexphoto.com/biglensbag/

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:40 AM
jdavis37

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

Kata *used* to make a large lens bag and I found one of the last remaining ones. Bag was built with me in mind. Very padded, very protected.. and about an inch too short to hold lens in shooting position with camera and 1.4X TC attached. I purchased that inbetween the L611 and L622.

The Vertex bag looks to be a nicely made bag and from what I can see it looks more on the line of the L611 Kinesis in terms of padding. I wasn't sure when I looked at it how stable the camera + lens would be inside if it were lying flat in the rear of a vehicle. And given they are custom made I opted for the L622. But again, I wanted a well padded very protective bag. The Vertex looks to be very nice for anyone wanting quick access to their camera/lens while in a car. L622 would be difficult to remove camera inside a car due to height of the bag.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kinesis L611 and L622 bags- long lenses w/hood in shooting pos

The Vertex has an internal velcro strap that secures the lens+camera to the back of the bag (inside) for when you're not wanting quick access. The height of the internal strap is adjustable inside the bag, and so you can wrap it around the lens or extender just below the camera. The hood is nice and snug at the other end of the bag, and so it's a very secure fit.

Feb 21, 2015 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.