New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

Invertalon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

Side note... Just got my 5D3 and 24-70 II both back from Canon NJ. I only had the CMS on the lens, but noticed this dust bunny behind the front element the past year or so is gone. I would guess they went in and blew out behind the front element.

They also checked/calibrated the lens with the 5D.

Aug 01, 2014 at 03:39 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

Got the camera and lens back, in separate boxes. Is there a video about how they clean bodies and lenses? They are CLEAN.

I also didn't know what my shutter count was. Interestingly, the Shutter has 40189 and the mirror count is only 35734. I've taken very few with my mirror locked up?

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:47 PM
donmega
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

Can I revive this thread instead of creating new one?

I have the same issue as of today. I sent in my 1D MkIV, 70-200 II and 100-400 in for CMS. I got the standard emails from CPS about the receipt of my gear. But it also says this in the Description of Problems/Symptoms area:

Calibrate, repair, clean and check all functions. Repair to good working order. Gold CPS discounts have been applied. Payment has been recieved. No response necessary. Thank you.

Great, (I didn't pay anything? And I asked for CMS) but when I checked the status tonight, it says they are awaiting my approval for repair... WTF?

$231 for each lens and $187 for the camera. $650 worth of cleaning and checking? Needless to say, I'm a little taken aback. And now I have to wait until Monday to get an answer. Ugh...

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

I had just sent them an email and that as enough to get it cleared up. Is it a Friday thing?

It does get you at full pucker when you see the bill.. Plus, I was on a tight time line for a shoot.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM
donmega
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

It's just that time of year for me where I'm in a lull after all-star baseball/softball and football, soccer and fall baseball (all youth sports leagues). It's been my practice to have them do clean and check on most of my regular working gear.

I talked to a 24-hour CPS hotline rep and he sent the Newport News facility an email but that won't get acted upon until Monday. He also suggested I call back Monday. So, it'll be a long weekend.

Did you send an email to CPS or the service center?

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

anselwannab wrote:
Got the camera and lens back, in separate boxes. Is there a video about how they clean bodies and lenses? They are CLEAN.

I also didn't know what my shutter count was. Interestingly, the Shutter has 40189 and the mirror count is only 35734. I've taken very few with my mirror locked up?

Maybe video and live view use figure into that. My two numbers were thousands apart and I've never used MLU, rarely use LV but shot many videos.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM
campy
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

For whatever reason they don't think the lens is covered so they will charge you the shipping for the lens, and since it's attached to the camera it brings the weight up and cost.

Sep 13, 2014 at 04:37 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

CPS has been having trouble with their data base of members' equipment: items have disappeared off it. (What they are looking at is not your page. The problem is in their data base.) This has happened to me a couple of times and CPS reps have admitted there have been issues. I've had to insist that it is and has been on my list of registered products, and my account screen shows it. Where the item had been sent in for repair previously, I gave them the earlier repair number to show it had been registered.

It has happened to me with both lenses and camera bodies. Polite but firm worked in each case.

Edited on Sep 19, 2014 at 09:40 AM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

They don't include calibration in the free clean and check. They charge about 200 for calibration.

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:35 AM
adamx12m
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon CPS CMS Service- I'm being charged for lens cleaning

Don't rely on email with CPS to get a status. They'll tell you "We communicate primarily through email with our members" but imo the whole process is poorly done from a customer service standpoint.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.