New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help choosing camera and lens

jjoejr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help choosing camera and lens

Retiree I live next door to has 8 year old small sony. Asked me to pick out a canon outfit for around 975.00 dollars. Give me your opinions on a camera and one wide angle zoom and one telephoto zoom to go with it. Telephoto limit from 250 to 300mm on far end. Rebel series camera would be fine. SL1 is a little too small also. Do not want the vari angle screen in the I series also. Mostly shooting landscape and static birds occasionally. Simple controls and operation. I have several combinations but would like further opinions. thanx and hope for many opinions.
John

Jul 25, 2014 at 08:55 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help choosing camera and lens

5D Mark I + 24-105L is probably $1000 used.. most flexible & best quality given the circumstances you described.

Jul 25, 2014 at 08:57 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help choosing camera and lens

I bought my daughter a t4i (or is it a 4ti) body along with the 18-135 STM lens. My mother gave her an old 75-300 lens (I think that is what it is). Not sure if that is the lens I would recommend.

But my daughter was 12 at the time, interested in photography and had experience with mostly P&S cameras. That body is pretty easy to use and learn with, but it is also complete enough to not outgrow too quickly.

I cannot suggest a lens for you in the mid zoom range, but I am sure others will or can.

There is a newer version of the t4i out, the t5i, but I have heard that there is NOT much improvement to justify what would be a higher cost. But I have NOT actually done research on that.

When I bought my daughter her camera, I got one for myself so that I could learn with her on that body and be a better help to her. We shot together a few times at first, she got the hang of it and I found it a pretty decent little camera, though I don't really use it anymore.

I think you could get the t4i now for under your price, with the 18-135 STM lens (though not sure if you really need the STM as it costs more for its mostly for video purposes).

I also have a few year old 50D, which I can never bring myself to selling. I really think that is a great body, takes good pics, but will suffer compared to the new bodies with ISO performance. But you can get those pretty darn cheap if used is okay.

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:19 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help choosing camera and lens

I'd go t3i with 18-55, 55-250, and 50mm f/1.8. Should be right around the $800 mark or so depending on where it's from. 18-55's great for walk-around, 55-250's good for wildlife and such, and 50mm f/1.8's nice for low-light indoors. The 50mm and 18-55 could be replaced with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 as well. The wider angle is better for tight quarters indoors, but loosing 1 and 1/3 stops of light at 50mm could be an issue. Kicks the butt of the 18-55 though.

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:28 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help choosing camera and lens

Mr. Toal, the t3i has the vari angle, and not what he wanted. T3 is still available with wide angle kit lens I see. Retiree asked exactly about the three lenses you mentioned btw. 50.1.8 would be nice in low light. Although crop field of view brings it to 80mm. Sounds good though. He's not pixel peeper and doesn't print.
I don't know about kit lens and 55-250 zoom quality.
John

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:39 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help choosing camera and lens

The lens suggestions of Mr. Toal are excellent; the latest versions of the 18-55 and 55-250 are much better than the originals according to reports I've read. A body? I'm not sure. T2i? 40D. 50D. 60D.
I use and love the tilt feature. It could be ignored if that's a concern and you don't find a body that does not have it.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help choosing camera and lens

The Rebel T5 (not T5i) is basically an upsized SL1- larger with no articulating screen, and can be had for $500 with the 18-55 IS II, or $600 with the 18-55 and the 75-300.

Further recommendations on lenses include the 10-18 IS STM for $300 (the 18-55 is a standard zoom with ~28-80mm full-frame coverage, not a 'wide-angle zoom'), and skipping the very basic 75-300 for the new 55-250 IS STM, which is outstanding for $350, and worth skipping previous versions as well as all 7x-300s south of the >$100 70-300L. None of those lenses are worth shooting beyond 250mm anyway.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help choosing camera and lens

You probably should see what your neighbour likes in the way of photos. My experience - much to my amazement - is that most people like just about anything and don't appreciate that something is better than ok. Nor do they want to get involved in editing, etc. Great equipment is wasted on them.

He might need a camera with good live view and/or viewfinder accessories to help out with failing eyesight. Perhaps something with a replaceable focus screen too.

- Alan

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:47 AM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help choosing camera and lens

What about the 7D? Currently available on refurbished:

EOS 7D EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens Kit Refurbished
You Pay: $863.52

EOS 7D EF 28-135mm IS Lens Kit Refurbished
You Pay: $815.52

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.