Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Feeding Honeybee

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Feeding Honeybee

I was baiting Carpenter bees and the honeybees found the bait. Tech Specs: Canon 1D Mark III (F14, 1/250, ISO 800) + a Canon MPE-65mm macro lens (~ 1.5x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken with a monopod that had no ball head. The monopod helps me to steady the camera, and not using a ball head means that I can rapidly change the height of the my rig.

F14 because I was changing my magnification a lot and I don't like the way that the MP-E65mm performs at F16 above 2x (it's not a diffraction issue because there's too much of a difference between F14 and F16). Some lenses just don't perform well at certain Fstops.

1/250 because I was concerned about the amount of natural light in the scene in the area around the subject. Had the subject been in "deep shade" I could comfortably open up the shutter, but the area was indirectly let pretty well and I had the ISO set to...

ISO 800 to pick up some detail in the background and to keep the background from being too dark. Increasing the ISO effects both the natural light and the flash, so my flash duration was pretty short (making it easier to freeze subject motion).

Notice that the subject is in the shade, and because there is no direct sun light on it it's easier to use the flash to freeze the subject's motion (and mine). Also I don't have to deal with specular highlights from the flash and the sun, and none of the specular highlights are blown. Keep in mind when you're shooting that any specular highlight created by the sun is going to be amplified by the flash. I'm pretty much exposing the bee with just the flash, and the harsh noon day sun in the background is controlled because it's under exposed.

Edit: Here's an example of a shot that's almost on the edge of getting binned because I'm picking up a specular highlight from the sun. I caught a slight break on the angle between the sun, flash heads, and sensor and the image didn't come out too bad, but it's close. Since I was using a 1.4x teleconverter on my MPE-65mm @ F16 the lens was actually 91mm @ F22. Tech Specs: Canon 1D Mark III (F16, 1/250, ISO 1600) + a Canon MPE-65mm macro lens (@ 1.4x due to the teleconverter) + a diffused MT-24EX.

Jul 25, 2014 at 07:23 AM
coder
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Feeding Honeybee

The light on the bee in the first is really really nice, John, well done.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Sharks123
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Feeding Honeybee

First shot realy good

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Feeding Honeybee

Thanks Daryl and Can

Jul 28, 2014 at 02:26 PM
jnaclarke

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Feeding Honeybee

wow amazing shots! you really know your settings and subjects well!

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:35 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Feeding Honeybee

jnaclarke wrote:
wow amazing shots! you really know your settings and subjects well!

Lots and lots of practice...

Jul 29, 2014 at 07:45 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password