New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

kodakeos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

So I started the task of packing and of course it's overkill.
I'm taking a lowepro backpack in a roller case plus a thinktank shoulder bag. Yet I'm totally full up and can't figure out what I should leave.
Currently I'm bringing :
5d3
EOS m
EOS m IR
16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and converters
14 2.8 samyang for stars
100 2.8 macro
17 and. 90 tse
35 1.4
11-22,18-55,22 for M's
580ex2
Buncha filter and converters
Batteries and chargers

Am I overdoing it?

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

Are you camping/hiking? Flying to Colorado? If not and you are driving I would take anything & everything. If you are hiking/camping way way too much. Too much over lap for me. There is only so much time allowing the use of the equipment. I can't say what lens or type of photography you shoot, what's your favorite lens or combo but after three lens, most of the others will never see much use. No tripod?

Filters, batteries, etc. are essential, esp. batteries and the ability to recharge. If I have power access daily not such a big deal. Having said all that I know the difficulty of pairing down the list. If I'm flying the cut becomes easier, camping/hiking forces another mandatory cut for weight.

Half the fun of the trip is in the planning. Have a good one.

Gerard

Jul 25, 2014 at 01:23 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

Im flying, but luckily on SW so I dont think overhead storage size will be an issue.
Were driving across most of CO, so again, I can pick and choose what I bring every day.
I just felt that when I finished up with Banff/Glacier last year I had a lot that I didnt bring with me most days (100 macro, 35L, 14) that I PROBABLY could have done without, but if I have the space.. right?

Jul 25, 2014 at 01:25 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

I've gotten much better when flying, I take a several trips a year or geared towards/for photography. An example would be if the the trip is geared toward wildlife I'll pack one fav. long tele and whatever my #2 lens choice is, a converter and a wide angle prime or zoom. No macro, TS-E, flash (maybe w/beemer).

Batteries/power/laptop need decided and for myself I have boatloads of CF/SD cards as of late I never back up on hard drives or laptops much any more while out in the field.

Now if I'm shooting landscape or general type photos its easy because all my big glass stays home. I have given up years ago on trying to have covered every situation I might encounter. Dragging the weight in and out of hotel rooms, worrying about how far I can walk away from my car with $$ of equipment in, etc., can ruin a trip.
I specifically focus on what type of photo I want to return with, after years of mistakes I just keep my equipment in bags/cases that work for the trip. I also make notes on every trip what I didn't use. I love macro but rarely shoot macro when traveling by air, probably because I have something other than flowers/plants as the main reason foer the trip. My tilt shift is the same, the trip has to be geared for it or it stays home.

I have a 14 day in the bush trip coming up, no power sources, primary target Alaskan Brown bear. Scenery might be great, the human element worth a photo, but the bear is why I go. Therefore 1st priority will be my 500/4 and this year Nikon finally produced a great 80-400 so my secondary lens, 200-400 will stay home, saving me over 4 HUGE pounds. This new lens also allows me to leave my much used 70-200/2.8 home. I'll probably settle on my 24-70 as my third lens and I always the my 16mm Fisheye, its really small. 3 DSLR bodies, when in the field I always have a lens mounted on each body, I cover from 24mm to 500mm, or more should I add an ext. or use the 16mm. My style allows me to grab what body I want for the moment, as i carry at least two on me and the 500 on a tripod/gimbal mounted.

Last year I was with 2 other photographers shooting pictures of brown bear, action had slowed and during the lull a large boar from 1/4 mile away from us, broke into a dead run chasing a large sow for her salmon who happened to be parked about 35-40 feet from us. She ran within 15 feet of us, finally dropping the salmon in front of me, the boar picked it up, sat down and ate it ten feet away from me. The chase was over in 30 seconds, the feast over in another minute or two, and I was the only one lucky enough to have the right lens on, capturing the entire sequence. The others scrambled to change lens. 1st question they both asked, Did anyone get that?

I even had time to grab a shot at the end of this showing one guy trying to ready his camera/change lens. Highlights are blown but I managed to pick up my 2nd body with attached lens as everything came at us. Some luck, some prep.

Simplfy, focus on what you want to bring home and you probably will, focus on what you want to take can get heavy and over kill.

Happy shooting,
Gerard

Edited on Dec 26, 2014 at 09:35 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2014 at 02:16 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

You could get the EF adapters for the EOS-M, to cut down on lenses..

Jul 25, 2014 at 03:06 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

oh, I have that but the 11-22 is going to be on the EOS M while Im hiking with the 16-35, or 24-70. I did have a 10-18 but sold it in favor of the 11-22, only to find out the day after that you can mod it into a 14-18 FF lens, which would have worked on Both cameras :/

Jul 25, 2014 at 03:41 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

That dude is way too close to that bear.

Jul 28, 2014 at 07:43 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

kodakeos wrote:
Am I overdoing it?

One person's "prepared" is another person's "overdoing it." That is way more stuff than I would bring, but that's me and you are you. ;-)

For primarily landscape photography with a bit of wildlife thrown in, if I'm traveling by car I'll take one primary body and four zoom lenses: 16-35 f/4 (was 17-40 f/4), 24-70mm or 24-105mm, 70-200mm, 100-400mm. In some situations I might leave one or more of these behind. I also carry a very large tripod, a small number of filters, extra batteries, etc. It all fits into a bag that is easily overhead rack compatible and which I can carry on my back rather comfortably.

I used to carry a second full frame body as a backup, but now I bring a small Fujifilm mirrorless system as my backup. Unlike the second FF body, this system actually gets used for a lot of the informal "people" photographs and similar.

I, too, went through a stage where I wanted to be "prepared for anything," sometimes carrying two full frame bodies, more than one tripod, up to nine lenses. No more.

Dan

Edited on Jul 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Packing for a week of photographing Colorado

well i did remember that if I bring my backpack stuffed into my rollerboard, I would have no where to store the laptop. so I might bring my Stealth 650 which would hold the laptop but much less stuff. so might leave home without the macro and pick one of my UWA..

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.