Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Beach portraits/lifestyle shoot in Hawaii....

amiletich

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beach portraits/lifestyle shoot in Hawaii....

Can anyone give some guidance and feedback for lighting on a potential beach lifestyle shoot in Hawaii.

I will be on Oahu later this year and have been wanting to get more into lifestyle and portrait photography and thought this would be fun opportunity to try some shots with my girlfriend. I am still an amateur but have primarily focused mostly on static car shoots. I will have my 5D3 with a 24-105mm and maybe a prime such as the 50mm/85mm or could consider renting a longer range lens if needed.

I would like to primarily shoot with natural light if possible. I am not very familiar with using onboard flash, but I know this can come in handy for fill flash and would like to learn and practice this with this more.

When I am near the water, should I still be using a polarizing filter to reduce the glare?

Any other suggestions or guidance? Appreciate the help!

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beach portraits/lifestyle shoot in Hawaii....

Although I've unfortunately never been to Hawaii , I've had my bit of shooting fashion/models on the beach/at the sea side, and have also shot quite a lot of surf (although again not on locations as spectacular as Hawaii ).

Wity regards to shooting during the day, IMO the words of Noel Coward in 'Only Mad dogs and Englishman ....' still apply.

Best time of day in my experience are the one or two hours before sunset (although I don't know that lasts in Hawaii) as the light becomes softer, and the shadows less contrasty (early in the morning will also do fine, although where I live the temperatures usually are still too low to be comfortable at that time of day).
This will make life easier for the model (less problems with squinted eyes) and less harsh, less sharp, and less high angled shadows (you wouldn't put your light in a studio from a near 90 degrees angle either).

Fill in flash should IMO be applied with great care and balance, to avoid the typical harsh filled i flash shots that unfortunately abound and IMO wouldn't work in the intended lifestyle shots.

Although I don't know the GN of the onboard flash of your camera, I think I can safely say it will not be enough for effective use outside.
Apart from the fact it it's really only be usable at close distances, it also is too close to your line of sight and would not create the most flattering type of light and shadows.

If you do want to use flash, I would rather recommend using a off camera one although this would need additional equipment and skills ( do some research on 'strobist' and you find plenty of info on that).

Personally I prefer using reflection screens, which can be anything from white bathing sheets to collapsible screens like eg Lastolites or the very elaborate Sunbounce items.

I would not worry about the glare of the water unless of course you shoot your model with full sunlight as well as the sea at her back, IMO not the best way to take a picture anyway.

For landscapes it's a different matter but again shooting full into the sun is not recommended.

With regards to your lenses, yes, for shooting a model I would recommend to at least rent a 200 or even longer lens to (when used wide or near wide open) get a better fashion like background separation, From what I've read there several lens rental shops in Hawaii so it should not be to difficult to rent one

My two cents, HTH

Jul 25, 2014 at 06:19 PM
dougfatheruk
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beach portraits/lifestyle shoot in Hawaii....

I'm not normally a fan of this guys videos but the effect he gets using the skylite panels is stunning, I really like the light he's getting but those things are dang expensive.

Jul 29, 2014 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.