Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Yet another T&I question

timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yet another T&I question

For a few years now I've done the white background for T&I and believe it has a been a pretty good selling point as all of the emphasis is on the athlete. But, I am thinking of giving my customers something a bit different this year.

What I'd like to do is take a nice image of our local high school stadium and have that printed on a banner and use that as our backdrop. The idea is that we do a local community park sports teams and could make a banner for each one with their local high school stadium as the backdrop. In years past, some of the T&I guys have actually taken the images at the stadium and used it as a backdrop. That works great when the light and weather cooperate, but like many parts of the country, we have thunderstorms pop up at the last minute which can really disrupt an outside picture day so I've been doing them inside. Plus, it's cooler for the parents to sit in an A/C room and wait than outside on an August day when it might be 85 degrees outside. All of that is to say that I would prefer to stay indoors.

So my buddy takes a nice shot of a local HS sports stadium (those in that community will recognize as "their" stadium). It is the first image.

What I did with the second image is to digitally cut out a player from a white screen and put him on the image. I think it looks pretty good (I did it in about 1 minute just as an example, so its not perfect). But, what I would prefer to do is to have a backdrop printed with the stadium image and then use that. I've looked at several backdrop sources online and just have not found any with stadium images I like and thought the customized route would be cool.

So, my question to you T&I shooters is have you ever done anything like this? For everyone else, what are your thoughts, impressions, suggestions, etc.? As information, I try to brand myself as a step above most T&I shooters in image quality. Not because I am better (clearly not in many of the cases), but that I am willing to eat quite a bit of time, let parents pick images, etc. and not be the cookie cutter guy. In my case, the smaller size of the leagues I target allow me to take the time.

Jul 24, 2014 at 02:51 PM
kermey

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yet another T&I question

I don't shoot T&I so you probably want to take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I really like the final shot. It definitely different. I would think that you may be able to offer the original image of the player on a white background at one price, then for a few more dollars price the second image with the stadium in the background. If I were the parent buying I should shell out a some extra money for the stadium background. It would also allow you to offer more products with not much of an added cost.

Jul 24, 2014 at 03:43 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yet another T&I question

Tim, I like it....a lot more than what I had to do on the fly a few years ago for a league I shoot. Like you mentioned, we take our photos outside every year, but this particular year we were hit with a lot of rain for 2-3 days straight. As opposed to re-scheduling picture day, the league just wanted me to take them on a white background and call it good. I offered the white background for one price, and the custom background for an additional $5 (this covered the extraction costs and time to create it). The final result is below. I like your background way better and if I were you I would get the 6x9 (maybe even bigger just in case you get buddy shots) background printed up and call it good. It will save you time and money in the long run. Keep me posted. I would love to see the results.

Billy-

** I remembered I had to do this with another league the next year as well, but they wanted their logo in the background.

Jul 24, 2014 at 04:24 PM
clindsey

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yet another T&I question

We do this type of composites for team and individuals also. We charge a premium for them though, which includes an increase in package/a la carte prices and a shooting fee. Since we do a composite for both team and individuals, we limit the amount of teams we will shoot. Our last shoot pushed the limits with 9 teams...I like to keep it around 5 for a faster turn around time. Below is one of our recent composite individual.

No one in our area does these types of shots so we are sought after. The parents/leagues love the composite team shots and since they are all shot individually, they also love the fact that the players don't have to be at the shoot all at the same time.

Jul 24, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yet another T&I question

Tim as reflective as Banner material is would you be concerned about that? Or do you have a place that does cloth banners?

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:17 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yet another T&I question

Thanks for the comments all.

Kermey, you idea is valid and supported by others.

Billy, I just blurred my background image a bit and that might have made your athlete image pop a bit better or given you better separation. I could be wrong. I like your upcharge idea.

CLindsey-your work is top-notch and one I try to emulate- thanks for the comments and ideas. I can't do your level of customization with this league-about 15 teams, but would like to strike a balance between boring ones and yours. Love your lighting.

Matt-I've asked my banner / printer guy just that question. Waiting to hear back from him. Looks like backdropoutlet.com offers custom printed drops in a variety of materials/quality.

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:54 PM
madmat
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yet another T&I question

Colorado Timberline (http://www.coloradotimberline.com) makes backdrops where you can upload your photo and they will print it on various sizes. I believe that they use more of a fleece material that will absorb the light instead of reflecting the light as a vinyl banner will probably do. Look under their Decorated Products section for Backdrops. In order to see sizes and prices, you have to get an account with them and sign into your account. If you give them a call, they may give you the sizes and prices without having to open an account.

Denny MFG. (http://www.dennymfg.com) might print your images on a muslin or canvas material. I don't see anything on their web site but, it may be worth a shot to call them. Their canvas backdrops that come rolled on a wood rod are great!

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:59 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yet another T&I question

I still photograph one of my football leagues against green screen for composite work. I also have started doing more individual clients this way as well. As noted above, doing teams like this helps picture day logistics quite a bit. It also allows for things like the second image which is a sibling picture.

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:48 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yet another T&I question

James, I love your teamp composites and your individuals are great too. May borrow your team composite posing. Simple, but effective and am guessing arm position just helps with the cutouts and showing off the jersey numbers.

Thanks madmat for the links.

Jul 24, 2014 at 07:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James Broome
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yet another T&I question

Cutouts are done somewhat automatically through a Photoshop plugin. I record a single action, then let it run as a batch overnight. So the posing is just what works visually.

Here's one I did last month for the cover of a local magazine.

Edited on Jul 24, 2014 at 07:44 PM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2014 at 07:38 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yet another T&I question

Hey Tim... whether using a cloth, muslin, etc. backdrop or not, it still won't come out as good as it would going the greenscreen route, but seriously, it might only be noticeable to us photo geeks.

Jul 24, 2014 at 07:39 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yet another T&I question

Paul, I have a feeling your are correct, on both points.

James, maybe I need to take your greenscreen class.

Jul 24, 2014 at 08:06 PM
rrwingnut
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yet another T&I question

'

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yet another T&I question

Cool thread.

Jul 26, 2014 at 01:39 AM
glort
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yet another T&I question

timgangloff wrote:
Paul, I have a feeling your are correct, on both points.

James, maybe I need to take your greenscreen class.

I do a lot of Greenscreen mainly for corprate and event work. I have done a trial with T&I which went as expected, no problems at all.

It's not at all hard to do. I did my first event after 30 Minutes practice and about an hourws reading up on it and really haven't changed anything since.

The software I use is Photokey and I am impressed with it. YOU can use pretty oprdinarly lighting and wrinkly backgrounds and it still works perfect. I shot on a moroon coloured wall once after doing a test and found the program was clipping that jhust as well as the background cloth.
I have even done greenscreen underwater with learn to swim kids. Just threw in th epool, weighted the edges down and shot available light. Wasn't easy getting the kids in the right position but the software worked fine.

It's made out to be a precise and difficult thing but that just isn't the case. A bit of fiddling to find your feet and you'll be off and running with it in no time.

Jul 27, 2014 at 01:43 AM
rob4bama
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yet another T&I question

I like doing the cut-out for T&I. Once you cut them out, you can do pretty much anything.

Riley Bradford 5x7 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

Piercen - Banner by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM
lnhgerval3ab

Account locked
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yet another T&I question

great thread

Jul 28, 2014 at 08:13 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password