New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Grandpa and grandson

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grandpa and grandson

I was visiting my brother and SIL (along with their newborn twins) and got this candid shot with my old man and my new nephew.

I have little to no experience shooting and processing people (BW helps!), so don't hold back on anything!

I don't recall how much real estate I'm working with, but I'm pretty sure the shot is barely cropped as-is.

Is the extra bit of light on the baby's forehead over the top? Highlights have already been pulled way back, but I might have some wiggle room. Are the cropped fingers at the bottom one of those awkward portrait no-no's?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:15 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grandpa and grandson

This is a good example of what I was trying to do with my proud papa shot. I don't do B&W so I can't comment on that. I think you did a better job with the light and comp and subject isolation.

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:37 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grandpa and grandson

Thanks Ben - I'm gonna have to say the lighting and comp were more circumstantial than any direction that I gave, but I'll take the compliment regardless!

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:44 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grandpa and grandson

Not much of a people photographer myself, but I am learning and trying to improve my eye.
What do I see?
Pose is excellent with clear relationship between grandpa's gaze and the grandchild
Conversion looks pretty good.
Image is a bit soft and I think you needed more DOF and probably a faster shutter speed.
Might have improved with a bit more light on grandpa's face, but this is likely a candid. Sometimes capturing the moment trumps all the technicals.
I would add a bit of vignette upper left and maybe burn down the towel left frame edge a bit.
More please.
Scott

Edited on Jul 25, 2014 at 09:58 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:38 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grandpa and grandson

Thanks for the input, Scott! I actually opted for softer processing on this one.

You're right about the candid - I was working only with some natural light coming through the blinds, so it wasn't entirely optimal. PROBABLY should have just shot wide open.

I'll look at how a vignette does and will tone down that hot, hot towel.

Heading over tomorrow with my dad (pictured) and we're going to try our hands at the whole newborn photo thing. Wish us luck!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 25, 2014 at 06:21 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grandpa and grandson

Jeff,

Newborns are tough for me, and I think comparative sizes of infant versus adults contribute to that. In this case, to me the image is a bit all but you have few viable crop options, so moving back some or shorter FL could help. And I think BW fits well given the many skin-color issues and mixed lighting common with newborns and maternity room or NICU settings. Be careful dodging and with vignette - easy to create unwanted heavy tone.

From your comments, I suggest a little less concern on technicals, they will come. The only quibble with me is the light line running diagonally from the jar, I'd try to delicately remove it. Maybe the towel needs some burning, but not much or it takes on a tone inconsistent with the remainder of the image. Infant's skin tone, given lighting, is fine IMO. My experience is the real jewels just come, as hard as we try they cannot be manufactured - yes, you can move the situation in that direction but there are no guarantees. If there were, everyone else would be doing it Here I'm referring to spontaneous moments, not the cookie-cutter, cheesy (to me anyway) infant glam shots so often seen.

In summary, enjoy the moment and experience.

My 2¢,

Bob

Jul 25, 2014 at 07:02 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grandpa and grandson

Great insight, Bob - thanks for the feedback!

Jeff

Jul 25, 2014 at 07:04 AM
mingzeli
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grandpa and grandson

I am more drawn away by the grandpa's expression.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.