Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · "Pick me out a winner, Bobby" (from last night's Cards vs Rays...

BillyHurst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Pick me out a winner, Bobby" (from last night's Cards vs Rays game)

We rarely have games that fall within what they call "The Golden Hour of Light" here in St. Louis (BTW - it's more like an inning of good light...2 at best). So when the first pitch was scheduled for 6:15 CST, I hauled my big butt all the way up to the 4th deck and found a nice spot with all intentions of catching a couple nice outfielder shots with long shadows. I did that, but was also fortunate enough to capture this as well.
Gear: Canon 1DX, 400mm 2.8 & 1.4XTC III
Settings: Manual, ISO 1250, f/4, 1/8000 ss
(The reason the ISO and SS are so high is because on the pitch when this was hit, I was shooting the pitcher in the shadows at ISO 1250, f/4, 1/2000 ss. I typically never crank my shutter speed that high, but it was all I could do since I was shooting manual. Luckily for me, it worked.)

Thanks for looking,
Billy-

July 23, 2014 St. Louis, MO: St. Louis Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong (16) turns a double play over the top of the sliding Tampa Bay Rays left fielder Matt Joyce (20) during the first inning of the game between the Tampa Bay Rays and the St. Louis C

Jul 24, 2014 at 08:47 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Pick me out a winner, Bobby" (from last night's Cards vs Rays game)

Nice grab Billy.

I'm curious if you got a shot of the Peter Bourjos catch the night before? That was an awesome play on his part.

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:43 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Pick me out a winner, Bobby" (from last night's Cards vs Rays game)

Thanks Matt!! I did, but I didn't. I was positioned in the inside first photo well when that play happened. I was locked in on Bourjos as he tracked the ball, then just as he dove for it I realized Kolten Wong was running alongside the shot the whole time just outside of frame left (Why?? I have no earthly idea. He was in no position to make the play). All of a sudden I am blocked by Wong's legs and feet!! SMH Although, when Bourjos made the catch, the framing of it looked kida of cool so I moved it anyway, but it would have been better without his dang legs in it!

Kolten Wong giveth and he taketh away!!

July 22, 2014 St. Louis, MO: St. Louis Cardinals center fielder Peter Bourjos (8) makes a diving catch during the eighth inning of the game between the Tampa Bay Rays and the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium. The Rays defeated the Cardinals 7-2.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Pick me out a winner, Bobby" (from last night's Cards vs Rays game)

you are right, it's cool on the framing, but would have been much better if Kolten had been out of the way. I knew where you were, I saw you on the TV.

Matt

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Pick me out a winner, Bobby" (from last night's Cards vs Rays game)

Oh yeah, that's right. On the Taveras hit, you screen grabbed me on the tv!

Jul 24, 2014 at 02:40 PM
amlsml
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Pick me out a winner, Bobby" (from last night's Cards vs Rays game)

Nice shot love the angle.

Jul 30, 2014 at 05:39 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Pick me out a winner, Bobby" (from last night's Cards vs Rays game)

Thank you! I thought this thread was dead and gone because nobody likes the "artsy-fartsy" stuff.

Billy-

Jul 30, 2014 at 04:31 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.