1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2014 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

OntheRez wrote:
Staying out of the Canon-Nikon DR war, if Canon puts a higher count/greater resolution sensor into a 1D body (A 1Dsex anyone I suspect there will be approximately 14 of us who could afford it.

As a wise man (Ming Thein) once said, "that's why we have two kidneys...

Jul 24, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

OntheRez wrote:
I'm wondering these days if even Canon has a clue as to what its strategy is

Robert

It's funny hearing this from Canon users - Nikon, Sony, and Pentax users all say the same thing about their systems. They should all just combine - weatherproofing of Pentax, Sony sensors, Canon colour processing and FPS, Canon/Nikon glass, and Nikon special features like intervalometer.

Jul 24, 2014 at 04:09 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

retrofocus wrote:
What a "great" improvement...Canon finally acknowledges that they might need to do something. Still Canon rumors whereas the high MP/high DR FF sensor is already well established in a bunch of different cameras (DSLR and mirrorless). I have the feeling when Canon will finally come out with something at least similar, Sony already has mirrorless models with the next gen of even better higher resolution and DR sensors.

Which begs the question why didn't Nikon use that next gen sensor in the D810? From all accounts it's a marginal upgrade over the D800 at best.

Jul 24, 2014 at 04:50 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

Sneakyracer wrote:
Looks like Nikon raised the Dynamic Range bar once again with the D810. DxO just tested the D810 and it put out amazing numbers. 14.8 stops of DR, about .5 stop improvement over the already superb D800e.

Canon has a huge task ahead if they wish to compete with this...

Yes, amazing low ISO DR. If the 7D II does not have a truly new sensor, I might do the unthinkable and run a dual system; keep my 1D X for action/wildlife and a D810 for most other things and with up to 7fps in DX mode, it has enough pixels and good AF to make a decent to excellent wildlife camera in it own right.

I wonder if it was Nikon or Sony that raised the bar. Is the extra DR at ISO 64, seeing that should have better SNR than ISO100 as it is a real ISO and the well capacity is actually larger to allow such an improvement.

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:14 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
It's funny hearing this from Canon users - Nikon, Sony, and Pentax users all say the same thing about their systems. They should all just combine - weatherproofing of Pentax, Sony sensors, Canon colour processing and FPS, Canon/Nikon glass, and Nikon special features like intervalometer.

Or the UN should insist on a universal lens mount for the sake of humanity.

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

I'm good with the way it is.

P.S. the "universal mount" has already been done, it's a.k.a. Pentax screw and M42. Gotta watch out for that Pentax screw...

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

OntheRez wrote:
I'm wondering these days if even Canon has a clue as to what its strategy is

Robert

Lauchlan Toal wrote:

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Or the UN should insist on a universal lens mount for the sake of humanity.

Wasn't that tried a while ago with the universal screw?

EBH

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:02 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yes, amazing low ISO DR. If the 7D II does not have a truly new sensor, I might do the unthinkable and run a dual system; keep my 1D X for action/wildlife and a D810 for most other things and with up to 7fps in DX mode, it has enough pixels and good AF to make a decent to excellent wildlife camera in it own right.

I wonder if it was Nikon or Sony that raised the bar. Is the extra DR at ISO 64, seeing that should have better SNR than ISO100 as it is a real ISO and
...Show more

I am thinking of running a dual system as well. The Nikon D810 is just too good for my Architecture and Landscape needs. Its not that the 5D3 is horrible. I love the camera and I have learned to know it so well that I can work around its limitations and still make awesome images its just that the Nikon would make my work much easier. Sometimes my paid shots are really time sensitive and any gain in working speed (no need to bracket shots in most cases with the Nikon) and ease in processing is money for me.

If I did not make money with my gear then I would not really care. In fact I might not even own a DSLR at all and just have a compact M43 kit.

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

Sneaky, have you seen the new T/S adapter for the 14-24G to be mounted on the A7R that Fred posted over in the Alt forum?

Very definition of badass for architecture and landscape work .

Jul 24, 2014 at 07:05 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

johnctharp wrote:
Sneaky, have you seen the new T/S adapter for the 14-24G to be mounted on the A7R that Fred posted over in the Alt forum?

Very definition of badass for architecture and landscape work .

I saw that. Looks very nice.

I tested the 14-24 @ 14mm on a D800E and it is a great lens but it is very hard to filter (the filter adapter available uses huge and $$$ 4x6inch cinema style filters) and somewhat large and heavy. Image quality is superb though. The adapter allows only about 5mm shift at 14mm but is still nice. Definitely very cool to see a product like that.

Overall I think the 17mm TS-E is a better choice. I also tested the Zeiss 15mm in ZF.2 mount on the D800E also and found it superb. The 14-24 @14 is close but the 15mm Zeiss is smaller/lighter and easy to filter with the hood removal mod. I also tested the Nikon 24mm PC-E and found it ok, not great. The 24mm TS-E is a better lens no question. I should have rented a 21mm zeiss also to test it since it has gotten great reviews everywhere.

The cool thing about the A7R is that adapters allow the use of just about any lens available for the format.

Money no object my kit would be a D810 with the Zeiss 15mm, Zeiss 21mm and a Nikon 24-70mm 2.8. With those lenses I can do just about all my Landscape and Architecture work. I usually travel light.

The benefit of the D810 is that it works well for all my Advertising work also which a lot of times involves people, low light and some movement so AF performance (speed/accuracy) is critical. That is a huge shortcoming of the Sony. Maybe the next gen will improve this.

Regarding Canon I feel the system is prime for a better sensor. They have really nailed everything else. Af is great, Lenses are awesome and service is great.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

I'd imagine that your Canon kit would still be in the running for low-light or high-movement work; I once considered an A7 for better DR and adaptability, and access to the FE55 as a portable kit, to complement my Canon setup, but then I woke up and realized that I wasn't made of money and that the acquisition would be less for a tool and more for a toy, i.e., the ROI equation didn't *quite* pan out favorably .

Jul 25, 2014 at 01:56 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

ggreene wrote:
Which begs the question why didn't Nikon use that next gen sensor in the D810? From all accounts it's a marginal upgrade over the D800 at best.

I simply suspect for marketing reasons - Sony has no competition currently in the area, so they might not see the need to hurry. The D810 seems to use the Sony A7R sensor withourt AA filter and latest DxO lab scores show a marginal sensor outcome improvement over the A7R, too. But I agree, otherwise it doesn't seem to be a huge step up.

Jul 25, 2014 at 07:54 AM
technic
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

Sneakyracer wrote:
I am thinking of running a dual system as well. The Nikon D810 is just too good for my Architecture and Landscape needs. Its not that the 5D3 is horrible. I love the camera and I have learned to know it so well that I can work around its limitations and still make awesome images its just that the Nikon would make my work much easier. Sometimes my paid shots are really time sensitive and any gain in working speed (no need to bracket shots in most cases with the Nikon) and ease in processing is money for me.

I'm considering a dual system as well, but that might be Sony body because I also want small/light and a tilt screen. Nikon doesn't have that on the pro models (apart from that, the D810 looks very nice). If the A7 didn't have some 'issues' I would already have purchased one. Maybe a next generation A7, if Canon doesn't deliver at Photokina.

Those who love action / fast AF, high framerates, low light etc. already have all they need from Canon; several bodies to chose from like 5D3, 1DX. But landscape, architecture etc. photographers have been left in the cold for years when it comes to bodies, compared to what is available on other platforms. IMHO they need a 6D II with 30-40MP, better DR (and relatively low framerate to keep weight/price down). If it has a tilt screen and can work in APS-C crop mode even better. Maybe there is room for a High MP 1D series brick as well, but I won't buy it ;-) For this type of photography super tough, fast and heavy bodies are usually not required or even downright inconvenient.

Jul 25, 2014 at 08:28 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

technic wrote:
But landscape, architecture etc. photographers have been left in the cold for years when it comes to bodies, compared to what is available on other platforms.

Oh please

Hyperbole much

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:01 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

technic wrote:
I'm considering a dual system as well, but that might be Sony body because I also want small/light and a tilt screen. Nikon doesn't have that on the pro models (apart from that, the D810 looks very nice). If the A7 didn't have some 'issues' I would already have purchased one. Maybe a next generation A7, if Canon doesn't deliver at Photokina.

Those who love action / fast AF, high framerates, low light etc. already have all they need from Canon; several bodies to chose from like 5D3, 1DX. But landscape, architecture etc. photographers have been left in the cold for
...Show more

The A7 "issues" are pretty minor but well blown out of proportion in the internet. The most severe issue is the drawback in AF with other than Sony/Zeiss lenses with the A7 series. Otherwise I personally consider my A7R the best digital camera I have ever used so far. But that's because AF is not of big importance for my kind of shooting.
I wouldn't expect too much from Canon at Photokina. I am sure they will announce the 7D MkII but regarding FF sensor updates, we might not see something until some time in 2015. And it will come out in a 1D brick first anyway before it shows up in a 5D/6D series later.

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:11 AM
technic
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

dhphoto wrote:
Oh please

Hyperbole much

The current bodies work, but there hasn't been any improvement in IQ for years on specs that are relevant for this type of work (DR, resolution). And the competition is more than a small step ahead in sensor quality (especially DR). At the same time Canon has been churning out new bodies with higher framerates, faster AF, better High ISO etc.

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:20 AM
technic
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

retrofocus wrote:
The A7 "issues" are pretty minor but well blown out of proportion in the internet. The most severe issue is the drawback in AF with other than Sony/Zeiss lenses with the A7 series. Otherwise I personally consider my A7R the best digital camera I have ever used so far. But that's because AF is not of big importance for my kind of shooting.

How would you rate AF and MF capability on A7/A7R when using Canon EF lenses with suitable adapter? I'm now using MF on my 450D for some subjects because AF is way too slow. But I have no way to test how the A7 performs with my lenses when doing MF. Is it just as fast and accurate as using an optical viewfinder after getting used to it? For static subjects like landscape and architecture I can accept slower AF, as long as it is accurate.

Agree that we probably won't see any spectacularly improved Canon body within 1/2 to 1 year - that's why I'm considering alternative options that can still use my lenses.

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:27 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

technic wrote:
The current bodies work, but there hasn't been any improvement in IQ for years on specs that are relevant for this type of work (DR, resolution). And the competition is more than a small step ahead in sensor quality (especially DR). At the same time Canon has been churning out new bodies with higher framerates, faster AF, better High ISO etc.

*in your opinion*

I'm earning money just fine with mine.

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

retrofocus wrote:
I wouldn't expect too much from Canon at Photokina. I am sure they will announce the 7D MkII but regarding FF sensor updates, we might not see something until some time in 2015. And it will come
...Show more
I try not to buy into the rumor mills too much but I remember reading one of them stating that a 1dx replacement would be toward the end of this year and a 5dIV if they call it that would be early 2015. My one main issue with the a7 when I bought it was noise performance. I didn't find it as good as people said it was. It seemed noisier at equiv ISO than a d600. A lot may have to due with sensor heat. Had Sony released the A7s initially I probably would be shooting with that.

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:31 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Todays Latest Rumor 7/23/14

retrofocus wrote:
The A7 "issues" are pretty minor but well blown out of proportion in the internet...

The "issues" of every camera/brand are always blown way out of proportion on the internet, as are the brand/model advantages.

I thought that was why they invented the internet... ;-)

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:40 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.