New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Floral Lemonade ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Floral Lemonade ...

Had a rogue shot of some wildflowers. Thought I'd try to make something of it with a slightly different flair than my norm.

Jul 23, 2014 at 04:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Floral Lemonade ...

Kent, I hate it when a post goes without comment. I wanted to say something yesterday but I was unsure how. Sort of like my snap shot. How to respond to an image that is not working for you.

I count 3-4 petals that are sharp and which might be on one plane. But they are so far from each other that it does not work as an isolated sharp subject.

The colors and good and the bokeh is great here, but I want either a central or off center sharp flower (or tight group) for this sort of shot. Conversely everything sharp, or perhaps even everything soft.

Jul 24, 2014 at 08:37 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Floral Lemonade ...

I dig the direction you took it in! Is there a reason you decided to only accent some of the flowers and not all of them?

Could you bring the whites up some to add some pop, or were you going for a flatter overall feel?

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 24, 2014 at 08:57 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Floral Lemonade ...

Thanks Ben.

I get the "How do I respond?" thing ... no worries.

The image is playing with the oil painting filter in PS. No real intent to have any petals sharply focused, rather a bit of intent @ "painterly" rendering.

I kinda like how my eye wanders through it a bit, but at a gentler pace than with sharply focused items. Just some visual experimentation on an elemental basis with varying color/shape/blur ... i.e. learning a new tool.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps, i.e. the colors, bokeh, etc. I'm thinking about how this styling/rendering might look on canvas as an oil emulation.

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Floral Lemonade ...

Thanks Jeff,

It is mostly a global application of the oil filter, just that different sizes/shapes/directions responded differently. I dialed it in to the point that it did have some diversity in appearance, but it was really a random effect. IIRC, I did use a little subtle masking to decrease the amount in a couple areas, but largely a random effect.

As to the whites ... I originally had them more neutral and brighter, but applied a "smokey" LUT adjustment afterwards for vibe ... blended to affect whites a bit less than the rest.

Experimentation @ harmony of soft & warm rather than my usual detail junkie.

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:09 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Floral Lemonade ...

If you could make the effect more consistent across the entire scene I'd love it even more for that swirly, oily, painted feel.

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Floral Lemonade ...

beavens wrote:
If you could make the effect more consistent across the entire scene I'd love it even more for that swirly, oily, painted feel.

Only enough to tease you with for to start ...

Here's a bit more to show some capability. This is probably a bit much for my taste ... but Karen might dig it.

Edited on Jul 24, 2014 at 09:51 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:44 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Floral Lemonade ...

beavens wrote:

+1

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:46 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Floral Lemonade ...

Kent, IMO it's already an improvement!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Floral Lemonade ...

Much better, now it has a theme I can understand. I like the shapes and colors and the removal of unnatural sharpness removes the guessing game for intent.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Floral Lemonade ...

One way to evaluate a pic is how long it grabs the viewer's attention. I confess I looked at the first frame a long long time taking it in. Bummer about a photo like this is that it feels more like I should send the comments to Adobe and not you!

I like the image. I think what I like best is the variation in visual movement between the flowers. Would be nice to not have the single green stalk in front.

Re-done image looks perfect for the walls of Dr Seuss. Not mine.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul

Jul 26, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Floral Lemonade ...

QUESTION:

Am I accurate to guess that you downsided for the web THEN applied the filter?

Paul

Jul 26, 2014 at 04:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Floral Lemonade ...

Actually, I downsized after the filter. I tried Bicubic smoother and Bicubic sharper ... didn't make much diff either way, since the filter took away the detail anyway.

The second one was a bit of an over-exaggeration for illustration. As to the original image, I all did was have a hip-shot misfire, while scrambling under some brush/tree limbs. So I really didn't even do that (at least not by intent) as a product of any "photographic" talent/effort. Just something to see if I could make the filter and/or misfire into something other than a big fat lemon.

Jul 26, 2014 at 06:18 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Floral Lemonade ...

When I first started looking at the photo, I thought it was a motion blur image. I did a run of these a while back as an experiment and had a bit of fun. Since my eyes locked on that concept, I struggled to figure out what was done till I read further down the thread. Never played with that filter till today...

Paul

Jul 26, 2014 at 07:00 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.