New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Question or advise

sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question or advise

Other than the RTFM suggestion, what would you advise a person, switching from Canon to Nikon, to do when first laying hands on a modern day Nikon ? Specifically the 810 & 7100 ?

Is there anything that needs to be done first and foremost while handling a Nikon ?

I were to be asked the same Q for a Canon system, I would say these; Turn on the blinkies, set image playback advance to single from the default 10, turn off ALO, select zoom button from the AF point, etc.,

Are there any of these I need to do ?

TIA

Jul 23, 2014 at 03:20 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question or advise

For any camera, I run through all the menu items to check what's availible. Some big ones for me are setting the fn button, and making sure the movie mode is 1080p.

Jul 23, 2014 at 03:34 PM
Naranek
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question or advise

As suggested, run through the menu to see what’s available paying attention to what is similar to and what is different from what you use in Canonland. For things different than you are used to spend time understanding how to work with the differences to get what you want.
Decide whether and how you want to map out the controls to meet your needs.
Spend quality time with the control layout as you’ll need to overcome “muscle memory’ in some areas.

If you are a flash user spend time studying Nikon’s implementation and how it may differ from what you are used to.

Accept the fact that you have spent your entire life turning lenses the wrong way. Same goes for exposure correction.

Enjoy the camera and welcome to the Dark Side.

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:31 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question or advise

Congrats on switching to the dark side. I trust you will be like many of us and enjoy all that Nikon offers.

I cannot comment on a 810 or 7100 . . . however, when using a zoom be patient when you zoom the wrong way. again and again and again.

Grant

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:33 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question or advise

Immediately go to custom setting A3 (Focus Tracking With Lock On), and turn focus delay OFF. Cannot emphasize that enough. Nikon defaults this to "ON" from the factory, and I can only imagine how many Nikon vs Canon AF tests (and whatever else) have been unknowingly completely irrelevant due to this oversight. It drastically affects the speed the camera will change focus for subjects moving toward/away the camera, and is useful in far less situations than if it had just defaulted OFF.

Other than that, I find both systems to be intuitive enough not to worry about much else, it won't take long for you at all to get used to it. There is a lot of personal preference involved as well, such as using the AF-ON button, Fn buttons, etc. which you will need to decide on yourself.

Command dials work the other way, but you can change that in custom settings as well to whatever you prefer. Zoom works the other way on lenses as well, small adjustment.

Oh, I'd probably turn high ISO NR off as well - software always does a better job anyhow.

Congrats on the switch, the D7100/D810 are the pair to beat at the moment, you should be very pleased.

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:40 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question or advise

Charge the battery

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:52 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question or advise

First thing you need to do, before anything else, is to make sure you have the LATEST firmware. Head over to Nikon website and check. Update if necessary.

These are the things I change:

-Turn the beep off
-Turn off AF assist lamp
-Setup custom setting banks (or) U1/U2 settings
-Set a3 to OFF, Set AF-C to Release priority
-Set the time, date, and time zone
-Setup your Copyright, Artist name, etc and make sure it's attached to every image you take
-AF Fine tune each of your lenses, check for decentered elements, etc
-Set OK button to magnify image on preview
-Set camera to use Easy ISO <- fantastic feature!

Last step is head over to POTN and post about your awesome new Nikons

Have fun!

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:54 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question or advise

Same stuff, different brand.

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:43 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question or advise

Did you buy both the D810 and D7100 ?

Update your profile!

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:53 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question or advise

Thanks everyone. ckcarr - I never thought about that

Jul 24, 2014 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.