Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Upgrading from D70, is the D300S still relevant?

jefflee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Upgrading from D70, is the D300S still relevant?

I've been using a D7000 since they first came out and have the D7100 also. The 7000 is a very good camera. I got the D7100 for video not because I needed a new stills camera. If you are looking for a wide angle consider a used Nikor 12-24 (about $500 around here) and put it on a D7000 and never look back.

In fact now that prices are getting low on used 80-200 2r f2.8, I'd also save to get one of those. For me the 12-24/80-200 and the D7000 are really a fine kit that could last one a long time.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM
CAlbertson
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Upgrading from D70, is the D300S still relevant?

xxguitarist wrote:
Checking in for some opinions before moving forward with purchase.

I've been frustrated lately as we attempted to decorate our house with some prints from my D70, and the resolution was inadequate. I've had the camera for quite a few years, and learned how to work with the ISO restrictions etc.

We'll be taking a vacation in a bit, and I don't want to miss opportunities for photos.

A couple years ago I was planning on the D300, then other things took priority. Would the D300s still be a good choice, or should I look to some of the other consumer
...Show more

DO you need the in-body focus motor? That is the big question. What lenses do you have.? If you don't need the focus motor your options open up a lot.

Also is the problem really "resolution"? If you are making 300DP no-crop prints with a D70 the long erg can go up to 10 inches. So unless you crop, or go above 8x10, resolution is not an issue.

Then if resolution IS an issue, doubling the number of pixels only gains you 1.4 times larger printer. You've have to go to 4X more pixels for double size prints. So you are looking at a 24MP camera which rules out the D300.

Take a good look at the D5300 and D3300. They have the newest sensors and image processor chips and outperform more expensive models. The D3300 is a bargain but if you need the fold-out view finding the D5300 has that.

If you need the focus motor then you have to compromise and get the D7100. I wish there was a D7300 but not this year.

If you only have one inexpensive lens that needs the in-body motor consider selling that lens with the D70. Unless you have an expensive AFd lens you are money ahead replacing it.

Jul 26, 2014 at 01:22 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Upgrading from D70, is the D300S still relevant?

The 24MP Toshiba sensor is a bit of a let-down IMO. The D7000 files can be up-res'd if you need to print huge. I've done 36 x 24 prints in the past with no issues. The downside to the 3300 and 5300 is the poor control layout, lack of AF points and having to delve into the menu nearly everytime you need to change a setting. The D7000 also offers a proper battery grip with full portrait orientation controls.

Jul 26, 2014 at 02:19 PM
xxguitarist
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Upgrading from D70, is the D300S still relevant?

CAlbertson,
Yes, resolution has been an issue on some 18x24s and similar sizes.

I usually shoot full manual, so the small bodies without the dual scroll wheels are nearly unusable for me. Flip screen for me, would live in the "normal" visible, flat position all the time.

I now have a D7000 on order from a member here, looking forward to giving it a spin!

Jul 27, 2014 at 07:40 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Upgrading from D70, is the D300S still relevant?

Definitely the D7000. I shoot bike races with it. Check my other site, not the Flickr. The only downside is that it isn't as bigger as the D300s. The AF back button is too close to the eye cup. You would literally have your thumb pressing against your right cheek. Other than that, you don't have much options if you want the D300s layout but with a higher resolution, unless you go full frame, like the D800 or D810.

I like the D7000 a lot but few issues I can live with them. D7100 is actually not a sport camera because the buffer size is very, very limited. Is half of the D7000. Nikon basically increased the resolution on the D7100 but failed to increase the size of the buffer memory. After 6 frames, the camera begins to clear the buffer vs 10 to 11 frames on the D7000, both in raw.

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:02 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.