Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Matterorn (Zermatt) alpine lake sunrise/sunset shooting logistics.

matthewh133
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Matterorn (Zermatt) alpine lake sunrise/sunset shooting logistics.

Hey guys, I'm going to be in Zermatt for a night in August. I really want to get up to Riffelsee, or maybe Stellisee to shoot the classic Matterhorn shot while I'm there.

How exactly does getting to these spots work? Is it true you catch a train up the mountain from Zermatt then it's just a short walk to the lakes? In that case, I'm assuming the trains probably stop before I'd be heading back down. Are you able to set up a tent up there, set up for a morning shoot then catch the train down in the morning?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:01 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Matterorn (Zermatt) alpine lake sunrise/sunset shooting logistics.

-

Edited on Sep 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2014 at 09:19 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Matterorn (Zermatt) alpine lake sunrise/sunset shooting logistics.

Matthew,

You can take the Gonergrat railroad from the center of town to the Rotenboden station. From there is tis a nice ~ twenty minute walk to Rifflesee. The trains have a limited schedule, late start and early stop. I don't know who would stop you from pitching a tent in some out of the way spot.

Jul 23, 2014 at 01:17 PM
matthewh133
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Matterorn (Zermatt) alpine lake sunrise/sunset shooting logistics.

nma wrote:
Matthew,

You can take the Gonergrat railroad from the center of town to the Rotenboden station. From there is tis a nice ~ twenty minute walk to Rifflesee. The trains have a limited schedule, late start and early stop. I don't know who would stop you from pitching a tent in some out of the way spot.

@dan Sorry I did not notice the new addition, appreciated.

Thanks a lot nma for the details!

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:19 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Matterorn (Zermatt) alpine lake sunrise/sunset shooting logistics.

That section is a great idea but how many really go there?

Jul 23, 2014 at 07:21 PM
berenosphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Matterorn (Zermatt) alpine lake sunrise/sunset shooting logistics.

When I visited Zermatt I walked up to Stellisee and camped quite near the alpine lake to take advantage of the best light conditions. I walked down the next day. It's only 800m total ascent or so, and a reasonably nice walk on good trails.

Aug 21, 2014 at 06:02 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.