New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · C/Y - EOS adapter question

jbourne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · C/Y - EOS adapter question

So just an update on my plight. Tried a few non-destructive things, nothing worked, so I went out and bought a MMJ Distagon. Bam! All problems solved. Sold the AEJ to a guy with an actual Contax. All is well So the lesson seems to be, go MMJ and thy shalt have no issues. Or less issues, anyway.

I also have a Leitax on the way to attempt to solve the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 zooming out of focus thing. I'll report back when it arrives.

Sep 18, 2014 at 06:15 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · C/Y - EOS adapter question

The 35-70 does in fact have very slightly different infinity focus position at 35 vs 70 (closer for 35), so if as you say you're missing focus at 35 it's just that the adapter is marginally too thick. My adapter is perfect at the stop on 35 and I have to adjust back very slightly at 70mm. I have 3 lenses and they're all the same 9even the one I dropped on a concrete pavement

Let's hope that Leitax solves the problem for you. I hope the mirror will be OK, they are prone to catch the 5Dx mirror, not sure about the 6D.

Mike

Sep 18, 2014 at 06:29 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · C/Y - EOS adapter question

jbourne wrote:
Just tested it. No problem with closer subjects (I do have to refocus while zooming but I suspect that's normal for this kind of lens). I tried with my other adapter, which I thought was the same, but the sharpness is slightly better on it. So uh. Adapter is bad I guess?

I've had similarly ambiguous issues with the 35-70, on different adapters. Many people love the lens but I never found a copy that I could use without these problems (infinity focus not reached on all focal lengths, mirror hitting the lens, mechanical problems). Good luck with the Leitax conversion.

By the way, my Distagon 28 tends to hit the mirror on my 6D. I saw it as an "iffy" lens on the compatibility list, so I guess I got one. Is this an adapter thickness question or am I mostly out of luck with this particular copy? I'm assuming yours is fine?

It depends on the lens, the adapter and your camera as well. If the adapter is too thin that moves the lens closer to the mirror. I have a 28/2.8 that doesn't have any problems on my 5Dc, with 3 different adapters.
Edit: Just read your last comment -- I have a MMJ as well and that lens was optically improved by Zeiss compared to the AE version, so it was a good choice.

A note regarding the suggestion to use a piece of plastic wrap to see if that fin catches on anything: I wouldn't recommend taking exposures with that plastic in the mirror box. If it comes loose and gets caught between the blades of the shutter, the shutter may be wrecked.

Sep 18, 2014 at 06:58 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · C/Y - EOS adapter question

I have a CY 3.4 35-70 that needed some filing with a simple Fotodiox adapter. This lens focuses condereably past infinity and with my copy infinity is just past the 15 m mark.

My CY 60 mm required noteworthy filing at the fin.

Filing seems to work fine if you cover the rear lens with moist kitchen wiping paper or similar in a way to seal all open gaps. File manually as this does not scatter the pieces all over the place, they just fall off. You might hold the lens sideways rather than putting it upside down on a table. It is not that difficult.
Good luck.

Sep 18, 2014 at 07:29 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · C/Y - EOS adapter question

I once used a dremel when filing and although I took precautions, metal dust ended up onto the rear element. Wet cleaning it somehow left a permanent veil on the rear element, so be careful.

Sep 18, 2014 at 08:02 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.