New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

A single SB-800 was sufficient with my D300 for key + fill, thanks to Commander Mode. On my new single-digit body, I have been handling key with an i-TTL cord, but really need a second unit on-camera for fill. Can I ignore the SB-900 overheating issue, or is the SB-910 the better choice? My expected duty cycle is light. I would also entertain a used SB-800 because it is familiar, and compact.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:57 PM
emoyeni

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

The only issue with a pre owned 900 is you don't know how stressed it might have been for the very issue you refer to. If you have the 800 and are familiar with it I would go that route but depends on prices and your perceived value of each. The 900 series are much bigger too fyi...power output is about the same..

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:24 PM
emoyeni

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

Sb700 is a nice unit too worth considering if you're not a heavy user looking for extreme power

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:42 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

I think the SB-800 is the better flash period. The only thing the SB-900 does better is swivel 180 degrees each direction.

The overheating on the SB-900 was a problem for me (weddings). And the fact it stretched out my D700's hotshoe pissed me off.

The fifth battery on the SB-800s is annoying when charging, but well worth the hassle when shooting. Faster recycle and you can count on it firing. Smaller and more compact too. SB-800s actually have a little more power as well if I remember right. The SB-900 zooms to 200mm.

Jul 23, 2014 at 07:48 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

emoyeni wrote:
Sb700 is a nice unit too worth considering if you're not a heavy user looking for extreme power

As a Commander they are limited. Only two groups, and you can't mix TTL and Manual - so you can't, say, put the on-cam on TTL for bounced key and the off-cam on Manual for kicker etc. Also, the only way to shut off TTL BL is to have the camera in spot metering mode.

Jul 23, 2014 at 07:53 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

Nathan Padgett wrote:
I think the SB-800 is the better flash period. The only thing the SB-900 does better is swivel 180 degrees each direction.

I many ways I agree; however, the 900's menu system is easier / faster to navigate. When using it as a Commander it's a bit faster.

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:12 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

emoyeni wrote:
The only issue with a pre owned 900 is you don't know how stressed it might have been for the very issue you refer to.

I think the issue was the sudden cutout, rather than a slow-down like the 910. Assuming the previous owner used the "Thermal Cut-out: On" setting (p. f-6 of the manaul) - and it is the default - the flash will be fine. And if someone turned it off and overheated everything, I assume that the flash would have "that smell" forever more - so easy to detect and return if not satisfied.

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:20 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

Thanks for the feedback: 900 is out. Is the 910 simply a 900 with better response to overheating? And are any of these units waterproof? I know there is an accessory water shield for the hot shoe.

Jul 23, 2014 at 09:00 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

No flash other than Nikonos is waterproof. Get them wet, they will fry. I've used both SB-800 and SB-900 for weddings. The SB-800 is smaller but the menu drove me crazy. When I was under pressure I often had to stop and read my little cheat sheet. The SB-900 is larger & heavier, but the menu & operation is vastly improved. I've not had any of the over heating issues. As for the D700, very nice small flash but once you add a modifier it doesn't quite have enough power. I've been happy enough with my SB-900 that I have not felt a need to go to the 910.

Kent in SD

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:03 PM
mongoose777
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

You know there is a trick to the 900 flash overheating problem.
Its called Manual mode. Learn to use it and it will make you a better all around photog.
If you shoot it that way, I guarantee it will last you all day without overheating,
except you would need to change batteries every for hours if using the best Lenmar batteries.
Many use the TTL, but the flash thinks it needs much more power than actually is required.
I am a sports photog, but a buddy of mine who mainly shoots weddings, taught me to use
it in Manual mode as it has made me a much better light photographer.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

Perhaps part of using manual mode, as suggested by mongoose777, is using a suitable ISO rating. Go a bit higher and the flash won't need to do so much work. Just don't use auto ISO because then it competes with auto flash and anything can happen.

Personally, for an on-camera flash needed only for fill, working only with the SB-800 and not doing much work, I think you will do better with the cheaper, smaller and lighter 700-series than a 900-series. They still have the thermal protection that you will probably never need and they simply reduce the rate at which they can shoot rather than working at full speed and then taking an unscheduled coffee break to cool off. If it was for off-camera and bounce-flash / modified-flash shooting then you would probably want all of the flash power you can get.

- Alan

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:36 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

Kent's pretty much nailed it. I own and use both, but the thing that wins out for me is the much improved control and menu system on the 900. I have experienced the safety overheat cutoff a couple times, but usually I don't need to machine gun the flash enough to kick that in anyway. If that's how you use your flash then maybe the 800 is the better option, especially if you're already familiar with the control system. The 900 is noticeably bigger and more top-heavy, where the 800 with the extra battery attachment seems wider with a lower center of gravity. They both work very well when you set them up and use them right, and results with either are usually unquestioned. The difference for me is how much more intuitive the controls are on the newer model.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

Two23 wrote:
No flash other than Nikonos is waterproof. Get them wet, they will fry. I've used both SB-800 and SB-900 for weddings. The SB-800 is smaller but the menu drove me crazy. When I was under pressure I often had to stop and read my little cheat sheet. The SB-900 is larger & heavier, but the menu & operation is vastly improved. I've not had any of the over heating issues. As for the D700, very nice small flash but once you add a modifier it doesn't quite have enough power. I've been happy enough with my SB-900 that I have
...Show more

Exactly my idea/experience.
Never had my SB900 fail on me and I use it with a SD-9 battery pack for burst shooting.

Jul 27, 2014 at 04:44 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

i have both the SB900 and a Nissin MG8000 (iTTL compatible too). for more stressful situations i use the MG8000. you can pump away pretty much all day full output with it. but, it is advised to use a HVPP for quick recharge capability. a SD-9 is good but limited. i use it but i have higher cap BP's.

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:03 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SB-800 versus SB-900?

Thanks for the additional comments, and thanks to Alan: the SB-700 is a good fit for my casual purposes, being smaller, lighter, and Commander capable. The SB-800 has a lumpy user interface, but familiar, so it remains a contender. To light up an entire hall, I have Profoto packs.

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.