FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Waning Super Moon over Red Rock

rjs14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waning Super Moon over Red Rock

Hello all. I shot this last week and thought it was worth sharing. Any suggestions on how I could have captured it better? I like the image, but it seems a little off and I am not sure why. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2014 at 08:41 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waning Super Moon over Red Rock

For me there is just way too much dead space in the image, and that may be why it feels off to you. Your title has the words "super moon" in it, however it is barely noticeable in the frame. I would have shot this at 105mm instead of 28mm, and tried to position the moon in an interesting spot near/inside the cacti. That would keep all of the same elements in the frame, but in a much more compact view. If possible, a shot where the sun was casting more of a red/orange glow on the rocks would help add interest also. Hope that helps!

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:01 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waning Super Moon over Red Rock

I agree with Justin,
I think you were trying to capture something you saw with a wide landscape, but it then minimizes the moons presence.

plus, the moon gives the appearance of being much larger as it first rises. Here it's been up for a while and has settled into normalcy. You need a way to maximize it's presence/size in the frame. That usually means having a spot staked out and ready to go when it just starts peeping up.

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:08 AM
rjs14
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waning Super Moon over Red Rock

Justin Grimm wrote:
For me there is just way too much dead space in the image, and that may be why it feels off to you. Your title has the words "super moon" in it, however it is barely noticeable in the frame. I would have shot this at 105mm instead of 28mm, and tried to position the moon in an interesting spot near/inside the cacti. That would keep all of the same elements in the frame, but in a much more compact view. If possible, a shot where the sun was casting more of a red/orange glow on the rocks would
...Show more

Yep, you are correct. It was also a bad choice of title. The photo was not really about the moon. I just liked the way the scene looked. I think it's one of those times when you had to be there! I agree with and appreciate all of your comments Justin. I plan on posting an image that is more in line with your suggestions after work today just for kicks if you care to take a look. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Ryan

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM
rjs14
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Waning Super Moon over Red Rock

ckcarr wrote:
I agree with Justin,
I think you were trying to capture something you saw with a wide landscape, but it then minimizes the moons presence.

plus, the moon gives the appearance of being much larger as it first rises. Here it's been up for a while and has settled into normalcy. You need a way to maximize it's presence/size in the frame. That usually means having a spot staked out and ready to go when it just starts peeping up.

I hear you Craig. Like I said above to Justin, bad title choice. The moon rises on the wrong side of the valley for shooting through the cacti in this location. I new the image was not that good. Thanks for taking the time. I really do appreciate your opinion!

Ryan

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM
rjs14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Waning Super Moon over Red Rock

Justin Grimm wrote:
For me there is just way too much dead space in the image, and that may be why it feels off to you. Your title has the words "super moon" in it, however it is barely noticeable in the frame. I would have shot this at 105mm instead of 28mm, and tried to position the moon in an interesting spot near/inside the cacti. That would keep all of the same elements in the frame, but in a much more compact view. If possible, a shot where the sun was casting more of a red/orange glow on the rocks would
...Show more

Hey Justin, here is the image I was talking about. Still not a super moon, but I think it is a little better image. Thanks again for the comments.

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:43 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.