New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Riding Tall

hcm228
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Riding Tall

I remember back when I was a kid all of the cool things I did with bicycles, but I dont know that I could have ever got this far out of the box. I really wonder what would happen if he had to stop all of a sudden? I couldnt be fun.

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:36 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Riding Tall

They're all over Los Angeles and some even taller than that. Tall Bikes is what they call them. Interesting from an engineering standpoint, but what the hell happens when you have to swerve.

Jul 22, 2014 at 03:09 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Riding Tall

Peter Figen wrote:
Tall Bikes is what they call them. Interesting from an engineering standpoint, but what the hell happens when you have to swerve.

right, they get higher and higher - crazy

Jul 22, 2014 at 06:43 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Riding Tall

Hilarious. I've seen them two and three high near me. This is great.

Jul 22, 2014 at 07:13 AM
paneraica
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Riding Tall

Stop?

How do they start? Need something as tall as the seat to get started.

DON

Jul 22, 2014 at 08:01 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Riding Tall

It says "I am coooool!"

Jul 22, 2014 at 08:18 AM
hcm228
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Riding Tall

I aint going to lie, if I were 25 years younger I would want one so bad... I guess you have to plan your trips out really well. Stopping is just controlled crashing.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM
galactic.gecko

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Riding Tall

I've seen some wicked accidents on these things.... compound fractures etc when trying to stop.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Riding Tall

Nice image. In the nose-bleed seat, quite literally.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM
CarnCarn

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Riding Tall

When did this become a thing Cool shot.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Riding Tall

First I've seen of this. Undoubtedly started in southern California.

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:01 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Riding Tall

First one I saw was in the 1960's. One of my neighbors made them by turning the frame upside down and extending the fork tube and welding an extended seat tube for the saddle. It was hard to get going, but easy to ride. The stopping was quite an adventure, similar to a unicycle.

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:26 PM
hcm228
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Riding Tall

We use to take the forks off (the part that holds the front wheel) and use 10 speed forks. Then you could cut off the bottom parts of other 10 speeds and slide them into each other. It made for a really funky chopper. Since we were kids and broke, we didnt have access to a welding machine so we would just beat them into each other with a hammer. Most of the time this was fine (most of the time) But man was it a real hack. Well, it was until I saw this. Now I feel so outdone.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Riding Tall

hcm228 wrote:
We use to take the forks off (the part that holds the front wheel) and use 10 speed forks. Then you could cut off the bottom parts of other 10 speeds and slide them into each other. It made for a really funky chopper. Since we were kids and broke, we didnt have access to a welding machine so we would just beat them into each other with a hammer. Most of the time this was fine (most of the time) But man was it a real hack. Well, it was until I saw this. Now I feel so outdone.
...Show more

been THERE done THAT! lol

I would use bailing wire between the fork extensions to get some tension on them. Wicked cool looking...but a real drag to ride uphill!

I was actually told by a local LEO to "get that bike off the street it's too dangerous".... He threatened to take it until a more sensible and seasoned officer let's just say "intervened". I guess with hair all the way down my back and my real-vinyl imitation leather Fonzi jacket (this was like 1975 afterall...) I looked like trouble!

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.