Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

Can any D810 owners tell me whether LR5 can read D810 RAW files?

No, I'm not buying one... but am considering renting one for an upcoming wedding.

But I don't want to be stuck editing in JPG.

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:39 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

Nope.

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:42 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

They are if you download the latest Beta version of ACR. So far it is getting mixed reviews on how good it is. Best bet for quality output right now IMO is Capture NX D. Good luck....

Gene

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:53 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

Thanks... looks like I'm better off renting a D3s or D610, then.

Appreciate the headaches saved- now the local pharmacy won't run out of Tylenol.

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Merlinator
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

Convert them to DNG files and then you can work on them in LR

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:28 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

geniousc wrote:
They are if you download the latest Beta version of ACR. So far it is getting mixed reviews on how good it is. Best bet for quality output right now IMO is Capture NX D. Good luck....

Gene

Even with that, you can't open them natively in Lightroom -- you have to convert them first (unless I'm doing something wrong!)

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:42 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

OccAeon wrote:
Even with that, you can't open them natively in Lightroom -- you have to convert them first (unless I'm doing something wrong!)

Yeah, you're correct. ACR only works with photoshop. You need to convert them to DNGs to open them in the current version of LR5. And that is why I've barely used my D810 so far.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:16 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

JakeB17 wrote:
Yeah, you're correct. ACR only works with photoshop. You need to convert them to DNGs to open them in the current version of LR5. And that is why I've barely used my D810 so far.

Yeah, it has really shown me how amazingly reliant I am on Lightroom. I can't stand Capture NX-D -- for whatever reason, it is almost unusably slow and crashy on my Mac.

I've resorted to JPEGs, which kind of defeats half of the purpose of the great sensor in the D800/D810 :-)

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM
WRBSTi
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

Why not just shoot in raw with the D810, then convert whatever you want to Tiff 16bit files for now, just as good as a raw file, and you can edit the fuck out of it, and it's still better than Jpeg.

That's what i've been doing for now.

Jul 22, 2014 at 03:01 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

JakeB17 wrote:

That is disappointing, my D810 arrives today. I was of the understanding downloading Beta ACR which I did, took care of both PS and LR. In fact I have read one post about Adobe doing a poor job on the Beta because the result didn't come close to NX D. Thanks for the input. Now I won't get any surprises.

Gene

Jul 22, 2014 at 09:38 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D810 RAW files- are they readable by LR5?

WRBSTi wrote:
Why not just shoot in raw with the D810, then convert whatever you want to Tiff 16bit files for now, just as good as a raw file, and you can edit the fuck out of it, and it's still better than Jpeg.

That's what i've been doing for now.

The adobe dng converter is just about the best option until LR5 gets and update. That way you stay in raw at least. However, it's slow, and if you want to keep your original raws be prepared to have each offload take up double the space.

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:13 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.