New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Samyang (Vivitar) 35mm f1.4 - Detroit Skyline

dhamments
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang (Vivitar) 35mm f1.4 - Detroit Skyline

Good evening all!

I recently acquired a Vivitar (manufactured by Samyang) 35mm f1.4 lens chipped for Nikon. The Samyang (Rokinon / Bower, amongst others) is known to be an inexpensive alternative to the OEM lenses. Photo review sites seem to universally give it high marks for sharpness etc... I've found the lens to also have decent contrast and resistance to flare. Here's a sunset I took last night of the Detroit skyline as seen from across the Detroit river in Windsor, Ontario. I have been impressed with the edge to edge detail this lens can reproduce. Has anyone else any experience with the lens (or any of its variations)?

Detroit Sunset - Samyang 35mm by dhamments2013, on Flickr

Cheers and good light,
David A. Hamments

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:53 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang (Vivitar) 35mm f1.4 - Detroit Skyline

I have the Bower 35mm f/1.4. I had great success with it on a 5DII. Now that I have sold my 5DIIs I use it on an Fuji X-E2, or rather I should say I have the adapter and I CAN use it on my X-E2; however, the Fuji 35mm is so much smaller and a good lens as well. The Bower sits in the lens cabinet these days, but someday I should test it out on the X-E2.

It was good while I used though.

Nice shot.

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:59 PM
dhamments
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang (Vivitar) 35mm f1.4 - Detroit Skyline

galenapass wrote:
I have the Bower 35mm f/1.4. I had great success with it on a 5DII. Now that I have sold my 5DIIs I use it on an Fuji X-E2, or rather I should say I have the adapter and I CAN use it on my X-E2; however, the Fuji 35mm is so much smaller and a good lens as well. The Bower sits in the lens cabinet these days, but someday I should test it out on the X-E2.

It was good while I used though.

Nice shot.

Thanks for looking Mike... I've also found the lens to be quite resistive to flare, as you can see from this image shot straight into the sun...

© dhamments 2014

Motor City Skyline - Portrait Orientation

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM
dhamments
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang (Vivitar) 35mm f1.4 - Detroit Skyline

Here's a few more images of the Detroit skyline taken with this under-rated lens... The second is a three shot panorama.

D71_0389-Edit by dhamments2013, on Flickr

D71_0381 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

More to see here, if you're interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

Cheers and good light,
David A. Hamments

Rock Cache - Ambassador Bridge

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:30 AM
dhamments
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang (Vivitar) 35mm f1.4 - Detroit Skyline

I guess there aren't many people using this lens..... Wide open, focus is tricky, but if it's spot on, the results are worth the effort...

Cheers and good light,
David a. Hamments

© dhamments 2014

What You Lookin' At?

Aug 04, 2014 at 07:50 AM
phlegmon
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang (Vivitar) 35mm f1.4 - Detroit Skyline

Had this lens in Nikon mount for a while. I ended up selling it because my vision sucks and my ability to manual focus sucks even more.

When I did manage to get critical focus, the image was great.

I also have the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 for wide angle shots. This is more forgiving.

Aug 07, 2014 at 04:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.