New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

beji
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

Hello All,
I am looking to buy either a used Nikkor 24-70 G or an imported version.
price difference between the 2 options are may be 100-150 dollars. If I ignore that difference for a minute, what would you recommend?
Anyone had issues with their 24-70 in the first year? Also, any experience with any warranty services for imported lenses?
please share your thoughts...
thanks in advance,

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:50 PM
jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

First I would consider the value of Nikon's warranty. It has been well documented, right here, that Nikon too often looks to void their obligations with bogus claims of impact damage. I concluded long ago that buying USA lenses
was not worth it so I prefer to buy grey market or used. As far as resale goes, as the warranty is non-transferable,
there is no difference in value. Just one guy's opinion.

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:59 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

The Nikon 24-70 is one lens I wouldn't want to be without the 5 year warranty. There have been random reports of the assembly basically falling apart after pro usage/handling. Then again, I agree with Jim that the value of the warranty is lessened when the issuer has a record of avoiding its obligation.

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:08 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

snapsy wrote:
The Nikon 24-70 is one lens I wouldn't want to be without the 5 year warranty. There have been random reports of the assembly basically falling apart after pro usage/handling. Then again, I agree with Jim that the value of the warranty is lessened when the issuer has a record of avoiding its obligation.

I agree. You would have to be very brave to buy any Nikon product without a valid warranty these days.

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:50 PM
beji
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

biggest worry/fear is even if I have the warranty, based on the stories we are hearing, does not look like it is getting respected much... I dont know if that is true. I never had to use warranty(knock on the wood!)
my interest in buying imported is because it is new. You would expect pro lenses to be used in a pro way, and wont expect it to be used gently. so that bothers me a little, unless I am buying a beatup lens.
but the other part of me keeps wondering if the $400 -$500 that I might save in buying used or import ... will that be a lose if I have to repair out of hand.. . decisions... decisions...

any personal experience with any warranty repair?

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:52 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

Not everyone on this forum is pro, and pro lens doesn't mean it's used as pro-level 100%. Just buy one in EX or LN condition with all accessories as new, it's more likely been used lightly.

On resale value, you're thinking about buying a used lens, right? Try putting yourself in seller's shoes. On the Buy-N-Sell forum here, when someone tries to sell an IMPORTED lens, any model, it is almost impossible to sell unless you price it at well below identical US version lens. Under warranty or not, people always wanted to make sure it is Nikon USA lens, partly because Nikon USA refuses to repair any non-Nikon USA lens, even for fee! And many newer products, no other repair shop is able to do any repair work(no parts? not sure). Of course, your mileage may vary.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:00 PM
beji
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

Good suggestions everyone ... Really appreciate it.
Anyone has experience with repairing a stiff zoom ring within warranty or using one of 3rd party repair centers?

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

Steve,I have to disagree with you about resale value. A used lens is a used lens.If you look at any of the places where a lost of used gear is sold (KEH, BH or Adorama) none of them and I'm going to repeat, none of them
specify if the lens is or is not grey market! It doesn't make a difference to the majority of people mostly because
warranties are only valid for the original owner. There are a very small number of people who care, mostly because they mistakenly believe that they can't get it fixed in the USA. That is a total misconception Nikon USA won't fix it,
but their own authorized repair shops will. Of course.you may still may prefer to only purchase used USA product,
but that limits you opportunities to places like FM where you can ask the seller. I have sold a fair amount of stuff
on the B+S forum and have never been asked nor, have I ever specified the origin of a product that I was selling. I have also never asked a seller when I was purchasing stuff. In my experience very few folks care because they realize that it doesn't matter.

Jul 22, 2014 at 03:24 PM
beji
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. These are similar conflicts I had in my head as well. Your thoughts were helpful for me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:16 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

I've had a lot of gear problems far in excess of my just quota, but the lens problems have all occurred well after the first year. Just be sure to buy a lens well before you need it and not while you are too busy to thoroughly test it very quickly. Test at every combination of aperture and focal length, and do so especially at fast shutter speeds to better appreciate if the aperture diaphragm is not working properly (because exposure errors will be a relatively bigger part of the total exposure). Test with and without using flash to be sure that the lens is communicating properly.

With cameras I will take the warranty every time because they seem to go wrong whenever they feel like it. I think they incorporate a better grade of crisis detector for knowing the worst time to break

I don't know what sort of photography you do or what gear you have, but consider that a supposedly "inferior" 24-120 f/4G VR might be more versatile in low light because of the VR - especially if you still need to use a smaller aperture than f/2.8 to get some extra DOF. It's not always as sharp as the 24-70 but not exactly bad either.

- Alan

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:51 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

Or you could just save the hassle and buy a Tamron 24-70 VC. $700 cheaper, has VR, and the warranty actually means something.

Jul 26, 2014 at 05:15 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

The 24-70 Nikkor is a fantastic lens and built rock solid. It all depends on whether you want a warranty or not and if you want to support local Nikon people. I have never had an issue with Nikon's service and I have only had 1 lens issue after over 800,000 images. I replaced a motor in my 70-200 after 8 years and Nikon did a great job. I've had one shutter replaced and they did a great job also. There really is no hassle at all. If you want the best buy then buy the Nikkor. Then It's up to you whether you want to support the local guys.

Jul 26, 2014 at 07:41 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

The issue is that if it is grey they won't repair it even if out of warranty repair--- unless they changed their policy of recent. Therefore with NIkon have always bought USA. Anyway I have a 24-70 USA and have been considering selling. I love it but just don't use it that often these days I tend to use primes in that focal range

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

24-70 has two known issues that Nikon hasn't decided to fix. The first is the focus distance plastic window leaks light in long exposure; the other is its zoom ring can become stiffen after sometime. Also I have seen brand new copies need servicing due to misalignment of the elements. Nikon does honor USA warranty even if you're the purchaser.

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:05 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

Did Nikon come out and say they won't fix these "known" issues? I think you mean that they have decided not to recall the lens. But if it fails under warranty I would bet they will fix it. And that's the whole point if paying more for a warranty when you need it.

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:39 PM
beji
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · opinion on used vs imported 24-70G

Thanks everyone.
Just for closure of the question on this topic, I finally purchased a new US version.
Here is what happened.
I wanted to buy a good normal lens. I have the 50 and 85 primes also several versions of the 18-xxx zooms with and without VR. wanted a fast zoom that is sharp and quick to obtain focus.
I did not want to get Tamron as my prev experience with it(only exp was with 28-75, not the new 24-70) was that, the focus locking was not really reliable when you have pressure and when you are on the move. so wanted to stick with Nikon.
then the question became whether to get a used, imported or US version... that is where I requested your help!
I was fine with used if I get a good copy. But I found that imported versions are may be $100 more! so why not get imported. the dilemma was around warranty. What I learned is that as far as warranty goes, both are about same, with the exception that nikon may service the used US version for a price.
I enquired at many authorized repair centers, they all repair imported ones. Not a problem as people make of it. so used vs import, the warranty question is a wash.
So decided to get an imported one, called few shops, was giving the card number to the sales rep and he guy asked why not consider the US version. I told him I dont want to spend as much, he said what if I give you a great deal, I said it depends on how great the deal is
long story short, I got a decent deal on a new US version and I fell for it!
thanks everyone for your time and sharing your thoughts.
Lens is great... exactly what I was hoping for... and it isnt as heavy as what people were telling me ... feels balanced and solid.

Jul 28, 2014 at 07:45 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.