Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Rain Gear for your kit

josh_jordan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rain Gear for your kit

What gear are you using to cover your gear or what methods are you employing to stay out in the elements and would you recommend it?

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:17 PM
mcarlson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rain Gear for your kit

I use the ThinkTank Hydrophobia and wouldn't think twice about recommending it to any and everyone. Simple to 'install', allows virtually full use of camera functions. Some will likely reply to this thread with the 'garbage bag and elastics' method, but, my logic is I have spent many thousands of $ on quality gear, why skimp a few more to effectively protect this investment. I work in a situation where, as long as they're playing, I'm shooting, and given Florida in the summer and fall, that means a lot of wet, so I don't have a choice but to get some quality rain gear, and the ThinkTank series is the best I've used.

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:37 PM
josh_jordan

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rain Gear for your kit

Thx MCarlson...I can spend $12K on a lens, but then balk at an addl $170 for the cover from think tank...not sure why that is

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rain Gear for your kit

I use the Canon rain gear for my 1D series cameras.

Do a search on ERC-E4S, M or L depending on the length of your lenses.

That's for my camera gear. As for myself, I have a gore-text jacket and waders that I can use in inclement weather.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Therese Lombar

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rain Gear for your kit

Thanks for posting this. I was just asking myself this very question and looks like there are some great answers!

(How does one use a shower cap on their camera? ......... )

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rain Gear for your kit

I use Think Tank stuff. If I can't spend less than $200 to protect a 6K camera and a 6K lens. I really don't need the first two.

Matt

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:37 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rain Gear for your kit

josh_jordan wrote:
Thx MCarlson...I can spend $12K on a lens, but then balk at an addl $170 for the cover from think tank...not sure why that is

… Human nature … It’s easy to rationalize $12K on a lens … $170 when you can (should) come in out of the rain … but you want to get the shot … but you just dropped $12K on the lens and common sense says stay out of the rain … etc. … etc.
Drop $90K on a set of wheels … drive it in the rain … drive it at all … ? .. Same process …

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:41 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rain Gear for your kit

One more vote for the ThinkTank Hydrophobia. They make a two different sizes -- one for the sports shooter gold standard 70-200 lens -- and another one that works for any super telephoto from 300 all the way through the 600.

I have used the garbage bag and gaffer tape in a pinch, but there is nothing like knowing that my gear is good to go. With the Think Tank gear, it always comes home drier than I do.

You will love it.

Jul 22, 2014 at 06:09 PM
rdalrt
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rain Gear for your kit

Yet another vote for the ThinkTank Hydrophobias. Love the 300-600 version on my 400. The 70-200 versions is a bit trickier to use in a hurry in the weather, but nothing beats the protection. I wish they made a smaller 24-70 version.

And for myself, nothing but Gore-Tex stuff.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:10 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rain Gear for your kit

Please allow the voice of a disgruntled AquaTech user be heard!!

I have the AquaTech covers, both for my 70-200, as well as my 400 and I HATE THEM!! They are a pain in the rear to put on. The eyepiece has to be crammed on so tight, I feel as if I am going to snap it every time I put it on. Lastly, it does not give you easy access to all the dials on the top and back of the camera without having to unzip it, say 11 Hail Marys, stand on your head and say a few curse words.

Take it from an AquaTech user whose next purchase will be a ThinkTank hydrophobia.

Billy-

Jul 23, 2014 at 02:16 AM
Top Gun
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rain Gear for your kit

Sounds like you already have your answer.

I don't mind the $170 for a rain cover...it's the $30 for a plastic eye piece that gets me!

-Isaiah

josh_jordan wrote:

Jul 23, 2014 at 02:34 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rain Gear for your kit

Top Gun wrote:
Sounds like you already have your answer.

I don't mind the $170 for a rain cover...it's the $30 for a plastic eye piece that gets me!

-Isaiah

Agree 100 percent....that eyepiece should be included with the Hydrophobia. Almost as annoying as having to pay for parking at a hotel after they ding you for $150 a night for the room.

Jul 23, 2014 at 04:31 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rain Gear for your kit

Pretty simple Jefferson, its not want to get the shot, in Mikes case as is mine and many others, we don't want to get the shot, we NEED to get the shot. When you are employed by someone to get the shot no matter the weather or conditions you need it.

I've seen many on the sidelines saying oh my gear is water proof, etc. No its not, its water resistant like a watch, etc. And if the seal is bad or there is a screw missing or something then there are openings for water to get in.

I have no problem paying under 200 for peace of mind, no it may not fully protect you but when you shoot in a hurricane or torrential rain, but when you need the shot I'll take the extra protection.

And I've seen 6 figure cars on the track in the rain, they are getting paid to be out there, an accident is part of doing business as is shooting in the rain, snow, etc.

I wouldn't have gotten this shot if I went back in to dry up,

http://www.clarusstudios.com/portfolio/sports/?image=c487dd4c64eb1819bc6f777ca8143d6a

And yes another vote for the ThinkTank Hydrophobia.

Jefferson wrote:
… Human nature … It’s easy to rationalize $12K on a lens … $170 when you can (should) come in out of the rain … but you want to get the shot … but you just dropped $12K on the lens and common sense says stay out of the rain … etc. … etc.
Drop $90K on a set of wheels … drive it in the rain … drive it at all … ? .. Same process …

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rain Gear for your kit

Geoffrey Bolte wrote:
Pretty simple Jefferson, its not want to get the shot, in Mikes case as is mine and many others, we don't want to get the shot, we NEED to get the shot. When you are employed by someone to get the shot no matter the weather or conditions you need it.

I've seen many on the sidelines saying oh my gear is water proof, etc. No its not, its water resistant like a watch, etc. And if the seal is bad or there is a screw missing or something then there are openings for water to get in.

I
...Show more

Your … want to … should have more influence on your shot than your … have to …
Rain can add much to a shot and embed an “artistic quality” into the image … enhance that feeling of competition … etc … etc …

I, believe it or not, understand the need to get the shot … not from the want to live indoors and eat regular … but from the “need” derived from personal motivation …you come across as having lost that motivation …

Lighten up …

… and I’ve seen a few high dollar rides on track … rubbing fenders .. in the mud, guard rails, each other …. all in the rain …

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM
threepairsphot

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rain Gear for your kit

I've been using the Kata E702 & E704 for years. I just upgraded to their newer version as the clear plastic has a new formulation and does not fog. Kata was recently sold to Manfroto, but the model name is the same. It is reasonably priced and doesn't require a separate eye piece as the Hydrophobia does.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM
mmorey79
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rain Gear for your kit

If it's pouring what I shoot doesn't generally go down, so I usually just use OPTECH's disposable sleeves when it is misting. One of these days I'll get a hydrophobia, all of my other think tank gear is great including the speed freak that saved my gear in an hour long torrential downpour with it's rain cover.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rain Gear for your kit

Jefferson wrote:
Your … want to … should have more influence on your shot than your … have to …
Rain can add much to a shot and embed an “artistic quality” into the image … enhance that feeling of competition … etc … etc …

I, believe it or not, understand the need to get the shot … not from the want to live indoors and eat regular … but from the “need” derived from personal motivation …you come across as having lost that motivation …

Lighten up …

… and I’ve seen a few high dollar rides on track … rubbing fenders ..
...Show more

Don't get me wrong, the motivation is there, I want to get the shot as much as I need to. Yes rain/snow/sleet etc can add a lot to a shot, I have shot many and captured some of my favorite moments in adverse weather, love shooting in it. Just wanted to throw out there as you made it seem like it is easy to just pack it in, some may, others know what they signed up for and make the best out of it.

Jul 23, 2014 at 07:12 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rain Gear for your kit

My Hydrophobia 300-600 has served me well through Canon days and now in Nikon Days. It's earned it's cost many times over.

MJO_3560 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rain Gear for your kit

I love the shots in the rain and have Hydtophobias for my 300 and 70-200. Tried a Lenscoat brand and it just does not seem to shed water the same.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rain Gear for your kit

We've moved twice in the last year and a half and my Aquatech gear is missing so I'm looking to get the Think Tank Hydrophobia for my 70-200 IS II. Anyone use this with a TC attached? Is there enough length to cover that combo?

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.