Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Remote Control and Raynox capture 6mm spider (Images added)

e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Remote Control and Raynox capture 6mm spider (Images added)

The location for these shots was where I shot mushrooms previously. I checked to see if any more had emerged but all I could see was what looked like tiny colonies of white fungus. For details of the habitat see:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1306600

Close inspection showed these to be egg cocoons and associated with each was a tiny, shiny, reddish brown spider. Any movement set the spiders running away from the cocoons, not always in the same direction or plane. Only in one shot did I get the spider and cocoon framed with the latter almost in focus.

I got some low power shots with my Kiron lens (at f16) and twin flash on flash brackets. I then wanted to go in closer so I attached a Raynox 25 (x4) achromat supplementary lens. This meant I had to get even closer.

It was difficult enough to get the flash directed into the bin at the lower magnification. With the Raynox attached the short working distance gave me only one option: I had to detach the flash guns an lay them on top of the compost and rely on TTL via remote control. Not only that but I could view the framing and focus only via the tilted live view screen. With the camera more or less at arm's length it was not the easiest of sessions. Anyway the results of this first session may be of interest.

The spider was about 6mm long. I don't know the species but it spent most of its time hanging upside down from the web. The rainbow colours are not a processing artifact and I have seen such colours on sheet-like webs with no lens involved in some circumstances.

Harold

Harold Gough 2014

Harold Gough 2014

Harold Gough 2014

Harold Gough 2014

Edited on Sep 06, 2014 at 02:56 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:18 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Remote Control and Raynox capture 6mm spider (Images added)

Here are the final two spider close-ups. I used the Kiron + Raynox combination again.

Only one spider was present and it was very active. The image I expected to show the underside in detail revealed clasped prey, probably a beetle. These spiders are atypical, having shiny, brown bodies, more like those of predaceous mites.

See how leaving the flash in the same, off-camera positions, the amount of bokeh (of globules of glue on the web) varies enormously when changing the viewing angle slightly.

Harold

Harold Gough 2014

Lots of bokeh

Harold Gough 2014

Grasping its prey

Jul 26, 2014 at 09:13 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password