Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

BillyHurst
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

I covered last night's game hoping to see the match-up ESPN and everyone wanted in Kershaw vs Wainwright. Well, I got to see 1/2 of it as Kershaw dealt for the Dodgers while the Cardinals put the talented, fireballing youngster Carlos Martinez on the hill. The Dodgers were able to pull out a 4-3 victory and avoid being swept by the Cardinals in this series. Here are a few of my images from the game. I know it's been a while since I've posted, so please go easy on me.

Billy-

Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Clayton Kershaw (22) delivers a pitch during the second inning.

Los Angeles Dodgers center fielder Andre Ethier (16) is congratulated by third base coach Lorenzo Bundy after hitting a triple during the second inning.

St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Carlos Martinez (44) pitches to Los Angeles Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez (13) during the third inning.

Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Clayton Kershaw (22) pitches to a Cardinals hitter during the third inning.

St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Carlos Martinez (44) delivers a pitch during the fourth inning.

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:49 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

6-10 Thanks for looking!

Billy-

Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Clayton Kershaw (22) delivers a pitch during the fourth inning.

Los Angeles Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez (13) leaps over Matt Holliday (7) as he turns a double play during the fourth inning.

Los Angeles Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez (13) reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch from St. Louis Cardinals relief pitcher Trevor Rosenthal (not pictured) during the ninth inning.

Los Angeles Dodgers pinch runner Miguel Rojas (72) slides safely across home plate, scoring the game winning run during the ninth inning.

Los Angeles Dodgers players celebrate after defeating the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium on Sunday night.

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:53 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Almost forgot team Fredbird!

Members of Team Fredbird get the crowd on their feet during the middle of the seventh inning.

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:54 PM
IamSnowman

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Great set. Kershaw from behind the plate is the pick of the lot followed by the play at 2nd.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:46 PM
josh_jordan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Once again Billy, great stuff bro!

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Thanks guys!
Snowman, glad you dig the Keeshaw shot. I liked the fact you could still see his eyes even that far along in his follow through.

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:34 AM
jcnemy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Nice set indeed. #4 is my fav....I guess cause it's similar to shots I try to capture or desire. Great expression captured on the pitcher.

I do I have question....since I'm on a quest to improve my baseball shooting and cropping/PP in general....concerning the first pic....when is appropriate to crop at the mid-section only and when to crop the entire body (include pitcher's legs, feet, and I guess top of the pitcher's mound)? I know tight cropping is usually desired in order to fill as much of the frame as possible - but is there any guidance or norm to say "Oh...based on how the pitcher is captured...crop it mid-body versus entire frame"?

To try to answer my own question...I believe it's one of those 'just depends' situations based on the photo dynamics, photographer's desires, or publication requirement.

But if that's not the answer - would like to know more.

Thanks

JC

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:37 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

JC,
Thanks for checking out the set. You pretty well answered your question, but to elaborate on it a bit more, I will say this. I try to get 3 shots of starting pitchers. One full body horizontal, one full body vertical cropped to the pitchers body, and one waist up horizontal. If I didn't submit a horizontal close up of the starting pitcher my editor would certainly be asking for it, so I've just gotten into the habit of making this image because it gets ran.....a lot. Hope this answer or explanation helped.

Billy-

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:35 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Billy this is a nice set. The only ones I'm not digging are the ones up high. The angle just doesn't "do it" for me. But that may be a personal thing. I'd loved to have seen the play at second from the first base photo well. Maybe you should bring me a long as a second and we can cover multiple angles at the same time.

Matt

Jul 22, 2014 at 04:34 AM
Sean Carpenter

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

IamSnowman wrote:
Great set. Kershaw from behind the plate is the pick of the lot followed by the play at 2nd.

I'd have to agree with all of the above!

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Billy....nice set with a variety of looks. That follow thru you got of Martinez in #3 is pretty neat. Looks like he is going to tip over. I never saw one like this

Right time - right place for #9....I like elevated shots and of the 3 you posted.....I like #7 the best. And I think it has to do with the funky dirt or field mix that is on the mound. Almost looks like the pitchers are standing in kitty litter vs the nice color of the infield dirt in #7.

Good Stuff as always Bud..
Frank

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Matt, Sean and Frank - Thanks for taking the time to stop in and offer c/c. It's always good hearing feedback from others.

Matt - I kind of dig the look from up top, especially pitchers. I think I would benefit from a 1.4X TC though because these are cropped pretty good. At least the 1DX files can take it! Regarding the double play shot, Curry made a nice image of it from inside first, but there is still the distracting logos and advertising crap on the wall behind him. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice shot, but I like mine, only because it's a different option with a super clean background.

Frank - Glad you dig the Martinez shots. he has a crazy, exaggerated follow through...kind of like Bob Gibson back in the day. I wanted to show this and it turned out to be a pretty cool shot. Funny you mention the "kitty litter" on the mound, my wife said the same thing.

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:31 PM
jcnemy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

BillyHurst wrote:
Hope this answer or explanation helped.

Billy-

Yes - thanks for confirming and sharing your comments on shot selection and strategy to meet your editor's requirements. Will look for additional angles next time I'm out....which is hopefully later this afternoon!

JC

Jul 22, 2014 at 04:18 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Billy,

I love these shots. Just crazy about the Hanley double play turn. I see what Matt O is saying about the other angle as it might show the height of his jump better, but I think the all dirt background is so different that it makes the shot standout in a set of really cool images.

The other thing I want to add is that I love the way you respond to posts and explain what it was that you were trying to capture as you made these images. It's always great to be able to get inside the head of other shooters when they are at work. Great job sharing the wealth of knowledge that you have amassed.

Rick

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

nice MLB set

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Rick,
Glad you could finally join us (HA!!). I'm one to talk. Glad you dig the Hanley image. I figure if folks are going to take the time to give c/c, the least I can do is thank them and maybe offer a little insight as to why I did something, whether if be planned or pure, dumb luck!

Thanks CW, glad you like the set.

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:29 PM
Gal7373

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Go easy on you? I would smile from ear to ear if my pics were half as good!!! Awesome set.

Jul 26, 2014 at 02:03 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Thanks Gal. Some of these guys can be pretty mean at times.

Jul 26, 2014 at 05:48 PM
lnhgerval3ab

Account locked
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sunday Night Baseball Cardinals vs Dodgers

Good Stuff as always Bud..

Jul 28, 2014 at 08:14 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password