Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

A bee, a bug and a hoverfly

letterslmnop

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A bee, a bug and a hoverfly

Hi!

I've been viewing the great photo's posted in this forum (lurking you might say) on and off for the past few years, and after a considerable amount of off recently I poked my eyes back in a few days ago and spent a long while looking through posts and realising how much I miss trying my own hand at macro shots. So I decided to dust off my macro lens, make up a diffuser and head out. I'm not sure i'm happy with the results from my go at a diffuser (and I'm terrible at cutting and sticking - I try to make something symmetrical and it ends up decidedly lop-sided, and off centre to boot).

Anyhow I've worked up some courage to post a few of the results so heres a trio of shots from a few days ago! I'm very much looking to improve so I welcome any feedback/criticisms .

Tim

All shot with a Nikon D90, Sigma 105mm, SB-900 - 1/200, ISO 200, f/16 (HOverfly f/13)

Bee by theletterslmnop, on Flickr

Bug by theletterslmnop, on Flickr

Top Down Hoverfly by theletterslmnop, on Flickr

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:02 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A bee, a bug and a hoverfly

Nice work. Had you pulled back slightly from the hoverfly, to get the tops of the head and thorax shar, it would have looked better. However, there is some protruding object below the right antenna which ould still be a distraction, unless cloned out. The other two are spot on.

Very nice lighting.

Harold

Jul 22, 2014 at 05:59 AM
letterslmnop

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A bee, a bug and a hoverfly

Thanks for taking the time to comment Harold. I took a series of shots of the hoverfly but didn't manage to get the head and thorax tops sharp in any of them - getting the right bits in sharp focus within the narrow depth of field is certainly challenging and something I need to work on.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jul 22, 2014 at 04:36 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A bee, a bug and a hoverfly

letterslmnop wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to comment Harold. I took a series of shots of the hoverfly but didn't manage to get the head and thorax tops sharp in any of them - getting the right bits in sharp focus within the narrow depth of field is certainly challenging and something I need to work on.

It doesn't get easy! It does get more instinctive, a bit like driving a car. I still find that my finger pressing down on the shutter release button causes most movement.

Harold

Jul 22, 2014 at 05:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A bee, a bug and a hoverfly

Very nice shots.

Birdie

Jul 23, 2014 at 07:17 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A bee, a bug and a hoverfly

The first two frames do it for me

In the future try not to clip the wings of the critters you shoot, even if they are going to be out of focus. I still like the honeybee shot though -wonderful composition and colors!

Jul 25, 2014 at 08:14 AM
letterslmnop

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A bee, a bug and a hoverfly

Thanks for the comments

John, I'll be sure to try and keep a watch on the wings going forward!

Jul 25, 2014 at 07:23 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password