New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Places in Sacramento and Surround

kezeka
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Places in Sacramento and Surround

Hello friends! I am going to be staying in Sacramento for the month of August for business and will have some time to drive around that area and some of the surrounding areas to take photos. I am not at all familiar with Sacramento or the surrounding areas outside of it being close to SF and Tahoe. Any travel will just be a day trip so the most I am willing to drive in any direction is around 2 hours.

What is worth seeing? There look to be tons of parks all over the place!

Thank you in advance!

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:38 PM
StephenS_CP
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Places in Sacramento and Surround

This is really a "what's your interest" question.

Downtown area:
-- state capitol building, its gardens, and the surrounding downtown area (street photography)
-- classical churches and cathedrals
-- Old Town
-- California State Railroad Museum in Old Town
-- Sutter's Fort
-- California Automobile Museum

Metropolitan area:
-- extended walking and biking trails along the American river, opportunity for rafting/kayaking
-- the bridge area over the American River at Folsom can be photogenic; old iron bridge and lots of kayaking
-- Folsom historic downtown

North and south along the Sacramento River I'm not familiar with except for the migrating bird sanctuaries from Stockton to an hour's north of Sacramento. But this isn't the migration season

Scenic/dayhiking:
-- lots of high Sierra day hiking within 1.5 - 2.5 driving hours from downtown
-- along Hwy 50 I go to Lyon's Creek Trail (Lyons and Sylvia Lakes)
-- swinging south form Hwy 50 using Mormon Emmigrant Tral to Hwy 88: Silver and Caples Lakes and Emmigrant Lake trail for hiking
-- Hwy 49 Gold Rush towns from Grass Valley and Nevada City down to Placerville and Jackson are within your driving range

Bay/Napa area:
-- lots more opportunity but at the outer edges of your 2-hr radius

I do not know "events"

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:36 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Places in Sacramento and Surround

It might be about the edge of your time limits but you could drive up over Donner Pass. The summit area has some historic railroading areas, and the old road and drive from the pass down to Donner Lake and Truckee some interesting scenery, bridges, etc. The Donner Memorial State Park is at the east end of Donner Lake. There is rafting, etc., along the Truckee River. You aren't too far from Lake Tahoe at that point.

Not sure what the delta roads, mostly "south" of Sacramento would offer this time of year. I always thought it reminded me of what it might look like along the Mississippi - on a much smaller scale, of course. Levees, bridges, IIRC locks at the connection between the river and the ship canal?

Jul 26, 2014 at 02:16 AM
stan2
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Places in Sacramento and Surround

the foothills of Amador and El Dorado counties just to the east less than an hour both have nice oak hills and other scenery, as well as old mining towns along state Hiway 49 (as in the gold rush of '49). There are dozens of wineries, and very good wine, with far less traffic and people than Napa Valley. But if you want to get into the more big time wine areas, I would suggest Sonoma County over Napa too. The town of Sonoma is very nice; one of the original Spanish missions, etc.

To the south of Sac a few miles is the old Chinese town of Locke, and the rest of the Delta. Old mansions, bridges, farms, etc.

Around town, the area of town from Old Town Sacramento (again lot of old gold rush era buildings) to a mile or so east of the Capitol has a lot of old restored residential architecture that's interesting.

You're also 2 hours from SF and the ocean and 2 hrs from the top of the Sierra Nevada mts, so there's always those day trips.

Aug 07, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Places in Sacramento and Surround

IMO, you could do worse than a very early morning drive down 160 to Rio Vista and back. The riverfront scenery is pleasant (if not spectacular) and probably different from anything you've seen in Texas.

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.