Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

30 day trip -how to upload my images into camera

ranankay
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 30 day trip -how to upload my images into camera

WE will soon be leaving on a 30+ day photography trip, and I have a question about processing my photos.
First let me say I have a limited budget, [3 to $400.00] but I need to be able to process and store up to 3000 raw files per week . I first thought about a Nexus tablet [Chrome OS ]and store them on the cloud. I would have to root the machine to upload any more than 100GB and I don't have the capabilities.
Then I explored the purchase of a small laptop PC and external hard drive. I'm not sure I can get a decent PC and hard drive for that money. Is there anything out there where I can up load directly from my camera into an external hard drive like a 1T WD or a Seagate External Hard Drive Any info will be much appreciated. Thanking in advance.
Randy

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:12 PM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 30 day trip -how to upload my images into camera

A couple questions, Do you need to process the photos during the trip? What type of media cards are you using?
Reason I ask is because I take camping trips that exceed two weeks. The CF cards and SD have become reasonably priced over the past years, I no longer take my laptop or any external storage devices.

I'll be out for 14 days this fall in Alaska, no electricity. I will shoot a D4s, D800e, and D7100 on this trip as well as a V3 and AW 1. My cards consist of mainly 128 gb's and 64gb. The fastest go in the D4s, the next the D800e, and then the D7100. If you are shooting a 16 mega pixel camera (2) CF 128 gb cards can be run less than $400 thru B&H. Depending on how much you shoot, jpg or raw, raw you'll 6800 pics on two cards, a lot more if you shoot jpg's.

When I'm on the road I'll use my laptop with external HD's doubled up and still leave the cards loaded until I get home. I've had several external units for images but other than external HD's I use only media storage from the camera now. I use Buffalo HD's but load from my Mac airbook. I rarely edit on the road and never while in trekking mode.

I do have an Epson P-7000 Multimedia Storage ViewerŪ 160 gb unit that I never use, I'd be happy to send you for shipping. You transfer from your cards to the unit. I am traveling right now but will be home by this weekend. PM if you are interested.

I'm not aware of an external HD loadable from the camera, mine run off the laptop power.

Gerard

Jul 22, 2014 at 04:05 AM
ranankay
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 30 day trip -how to upload my images into camera

Thanks for the reply- I shoot a D7100 -D300- and D2x,. I don't really need to process the photos while out ,I plan on using an external HD while out and I figure on getting a cheap laptop to transfer the images. It seams to be the best and fastest way.
Thanks Gerald

Jul 22, 2014 at 06:35 AM
nicolerork
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 30 day trip -how to upload my images into camera

Try one of these guys:
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/

Jul 22, 2014 at 04:19 PM
ranankay
• • •