New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · recommendations for selling prints online

folp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · recommendations for selling prints online

hey everybody -

i'm looking for some recommendations for selling prints either online or through my website. i'm going to be doing class portraits for my daughters preschool and after the shoot i want to make the ordering of prints as easy as possible - for both the parents and myself i've looked at fotomoto and that's gotten good reviews, but i would like to hear if anybody has any other thoughts.

thanks!

mike

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · recommendations for selling prints online

Online is not the way to go. Prepaid packages are the norm for a reason: it works.

To get an online sale, it requires that THEY go to the website, that THEY find their child, that THEY decide to spend the money. That requires THEM to do too much.

Prepaid packages, money-back guarantee.

Only sell online if you don't want to fulfill any orders, because you won't.

John

Jul 21, 2014 at 07:30 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · recommendations for selling prints online

folp wrote:
hey everybody -

i'm looking for some recommendations for selling prints either online or through my website.

My strongest reccomendation and advise would be don't even think about it.
Unless you like wasting your time working hard for nothing that is.

Online is dead, buried and the POOREST way to sell pics possible. I actually print proof sheets before I put stuff online.

I would 2nd John aboves advise with prepaid. That's how all the big companies do it and as he says it works. Create 3-4 packages, add in some extras like mag covers, combo prints and maybe something with a personalised Border ( Love you Granny from Kate). Don't go overboard with key chains and coffee mugs and similar crap, 3-4 packages, 3-4 add on's, thats it.

Start the packages with something for $20 then a couple of midranges, maybe 25 or 30 then a 35 and then do a High end one, $50 or more. Don't fall into the inexplicable thinking that everyone on forums seems to have that you have to be cheap and no one has any money. Thats one of the many loads of complete twaddle out there.

You are not going to sell 50% of your clients the $50 package but this is an average numbers game and just 10 or 15% of your clients buying these will make a BIG difference to your average sale and bottom line. Same goes for the add ons which is why you put them there.

IF you are remotely serious about making any money out of this, DON"T even think of online.
If you like having your hard work stolen or ignored, selling online is perfect!

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · recommendations for selling prints online

If you do this be sure the site has telephone support for the glitches you will face. Trying to get things straightened out via email over a few days doesn't work well and 'chat' can be worse when you and the expert aren't on the same page with understanding.

Much better off getting deposits first and following the advice above.

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:36 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.