New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fujifilm X-E1 sharpness and noise reduction setting

joesfbay

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fujifilm X-E1 sharpness and noise reduction setting

Hi, do you keep the sharpness and noise reduction setting at defaults for the X-E1? After importing the JPEG and view in Lightroom, I thought I should set the in-camera sharpness a little higher and noise reduction a little lower. I wonder if other X-E1 users have same observation. I am using the X-E1 with the 18-55mm lens.

Joe

Jul 20, 2014 at 08:39 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fujifilm X-E1 sharpness and noise reduction setting

If you went out and shot, and found you wanted more in-camera sharpness and lower noise reduction... I'd say that's a good thing to go ahead and try. After all, there aren't universally right settings, or else the ability to play with the settings wouldn't be available.

My suggestion is to go out and shoot ~5 scenes representative of what you like to shoot. Try a couple mixes of in-camera noise and sharpness settings (both low, both high, one high and one low, the other high and the other low), and then come back and look at these images on screen. Then experiment with processing these different images... really experiment a bit.

Find what you like best. Set camera that way. Enjoy.

Or just go out and shoot with one group of settings. Review and process on the screen. Make changes to settings if you are not satisfied-- and iterate until you find a stable place to leave things.

Personally, I shoot RAW. But RAW or JPG, I tend to like in-camera sharpness and noise reduction turned down. I'd rather have the freedom to process the files how I see fit, as opposed to letting the camera decide how much detail to throw away or invent. But, since i shoot RAW, you might see a bias in my ability to determine these things AFTER the fact rather than giving control to the camera.

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:46 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fujifilm X-E1 sharpness and noise reduction setting

I try to avoid any kind of PP, so always shoot jpeg -pretty much like I used to shoot film .
I like the X-E1 jpeg output a lot, so I have dialed the sharpening, saturation and noise reduction on the higher side of things: I like the "grain" that the Fuji pushes out on higher ISOs and for my kind of shooting, a cleaner image is not necessarily the better one.
I shoot mine mainly with the X 35 1.4, the Rokinon 8 fisheye and the Pentax 110 lenses (18, 24, 50).

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM
joesfbay

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fujifilm X-E1 sharpness and noise reduction setting

I used to shoot RAW+JPG on my Canon DSLR. I went to a photography class a while ago and the instructor told us the followings:

- set everything to neutral and shoot RAW
- Expose to the Right (ETTR) and reduce the exposure in post-processing
- Set color space to Adobe RGB

At that time, I thought the recommendations were "technically correct" to get the best out of the photo in post-processing so I tried them.

After I got the Fujifilm X-E1, I started taking pictures in JPG only and sRGB. I did not ETTR (well I did on a few occasions when I accidentally dial up the EC dial ) I like the Fujifilm OOC JPG. In most cases, I only do a bit of cropping of the photo and it's ready to share by email or over the web. When I print, I only print up to 8x12. Hence, I want to see what camera setting would get me the best JPG. I will do some experiment as justruss suggested.

My goal is to spend more time taking pictures and less time in front of the computer PP them.

Joe

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:43 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.