Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

ZachOly
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

We've hit the point in our wedding business where we don't need to blog every wedding (but do).

Our past 4-6 weddings weddings have been quite strong (great clients, great locations, great weather, great photos, etc.). But our most recent wedding didn't achieve the standard we're trying to achieve now (a mix of being a bit burnt out, a bad ceremony location, very dark reception, a bit too budget overall, etc.)

This must happen to a lot of you. Would you blog a "ho hum" wedding? Would you blog a wedding when you didn't bring your A game?

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

i'd only do a handful of photos at most. If you dont have anything you're proud to show, then don't blog it.

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:40 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

I don't blog every wedding. And even the weddings I do blog, actually, for every blog post, the maximum amount of images I'll use is ten.

My blog is really just to show of a consistent stream of work, to show clients that images in my portfolio are in fact typical of the results I'll deliver.

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:05 AM
glort
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

No every wedding is going to be a high dollar affair with georgeous people and locations.

I always think about the mistake I made years ago with my glamour business. I showed young, pretty girls in all my promo pics. after I heard for about the 10th time, yeah, she looks great but I'm not her age or look like that, I started showing the whole spectrum of my clients and things imporved dramaticaly. It pretty much went to " If she can look that good, I can too!"

I think you can make people feel intimidated if they can't keep up with the Joneses and thats all you appear to be doing. People aren't as stupid as the assumptions a lot of shooters make about them. You have the glamour weddings which they will see the quality of your work in just as much as the ho hum wedding which for a big chunk of the market may be a lot more realistic to them.

My far and away largest and most profitable wedding sale to date was a very Ho hum wedding. Hertz rental cars, basic cake, even more basic wedding dress, grandma did the flowers... They spent a shipload on the pics though. They told me at the album design session " we got the cheapest of everything we could find so we had plenty of money for the pictures. Everything else is gone after its over except for the rigs so why spend money on that instead of the one thing you have to remember the day by?"

I remember wishing they would have shared that with me before the day so I would have known to take even more pics!

The other thing is some of my most low budget wedding were also the best to do and for the time and effort spent, also most profitable on average.
I don't care if people have their wedding in the back yard, If they can pay my price I'll do the very best pics I can for them.

As I keep saying, so many shooters seem to have the mentality that the job we get are just for us to make pretty pics and forget its about the clients, the people whom are paying and make the whole thing possible in the first place.

If your clients are a bit savvy, they will also realise that it takes more skill to make good pics at an ordinary event than one where granny can point her box brownie at the ceiling and still get a winner shot.

As they say, " A calm sea does not make a good sailor "

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:10 AM
Chris Cooke
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

I blog every wedding (or at least try to). I have lots of types of clients and I want everyone to see that I can photograph more than just pretty people in amazing locations. Sure I get lots of those clients but I also get the "everyday" people weddings as well. I make sure I have a good handful of images for the blog that shows that I can work with non-model brides and make them look great. I want people to know I like to shoot ALL kinds of weddings. If they want to book me I am going to shoot it so why not show it off?

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:20 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

Crap. I need to take more photos of not-so-pretty people now.

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

I blog every wedding. Many of my clients feel like it's their 5 minutes of fame and they get excited seeing themselves on my blog. I would worry about hurt feelings if there's a wedding that I didn't blog just because I wasn't that excited about the images.

Jul 21, 2014 at 04:53 PM
rondphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

I don't blog them all. Your website is constantly attracting and detracting a certain clientele.

Jul 21, 2014 at 04:57 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

I recall this being discussed previously... in no particular order, here were the general thoughts:

- How dare you not blog someones wedding when you blog everything else, it'll make the client feel terrible.
- Not blogging a certain type of client or wedding has questionable ethical qualities
- You should definitely attract a very specific client
- You should absolutely be very specific with what you blog
- You should be more select with what work you take on, if the wedding isn't right for your brand, don't do it
- Take what you can and blog what you like, it's all work.

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:56 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

What I do now, especially for venues that I've already photographed at, is blog more carefully. Just my favorite images.

If it's a venue I haven't photographed yet, and I'm still proud of the pictures - maybe they're not mind blowing, but I do like them - I'll definitely blog them for SEO searchability, and to get me on the intrawebz searchable "map" for that venue.

Blogging serves two purposes. SEO searchability, but also it makes your clients go, "Wow! We're awesome enough and had a wonderful enough wedding to hit Mike's blog!" So we blog everything. Some a little more carefully than others, but we blog everything.

Oh, and third note - it keeps your website/blog fresh. Fresh content is good for SEO and good for followers to see new work.

Jul 22, 2014 at 08:28 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would you blog a ho hum wedding?

I post an image or two of every wedding on Facebook/Instagram, but only blog whole weddings when I feel like it's something I want to attract more of.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password