Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

upgrade to 5D3, switch to Nikon? Go back to M43?
Keep both Micro Four Thirds and Canon, do not do anything
Keep Canon and sell all the junk and Micro Four Thirds, get a 5D3 and a couple lenses
Sell everything and switch to Nikon
Sell off Micro Four Thirds and invest in better lenses for the 5D2
dance

What camera brand should I stick with?

swordfishphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Tons of options.

AF is sort of a big deal for me. I like my images to be perfectly in focus. If I'm standing in the lake and trying to use one of the stray AF points, I can't be there all day.

In an ideal world, I would have a stable full of Nikons, Canons, Panasonics, Olympuses and Mamiyas.

As for the comedian who thinks I should change my technique, well, lol. Not sure there's much else I can do. My steps are this: select AF point closest to the composition I want to have. Half-press shutter. Wait. Try again. Wait. Try again. Wait. Try again. Select center AF point. Focus. Recompose. Take exposure.

Sometimes the AF works in sunlight against high-contrast subjects. Sometimes I would have better luck with my phone.

Also, do you really think my pictures are that bad?

And never once did I ask which brand was better. Not sure where you're getting that idea.

I'm sorry I find setting up a tripod and taking pictures of trees to be so boring.

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What camera brand should I stick with?

swordfishphoto wrote:
As for the comedian who thinks I should change my technique, well, lol. Not sure there's much else I can do. My steps are this: select AF point closest to the composition I want to have. Half-press shutter. Wait. Try again. Wait. Try again. Wait. Try again. Select center AF point. Focus. Recompose. Take exposure.

The 5D II, like the 5D before it, has a very limited AF system for off axis points. Not only is the AF accuracy and lock often unreliable there, but the focus spread is very poor resulting in more need for recomposition. For moving subjects back button AF is much preferred to decouple the AF from shutter release. I'm not saying that it is impossible to take nice AF images with the 5D II, but there are many better options. If you can wait a couple months there will be a clearer indication of where Canon is going.

EBH

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:56 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What camera brand should I stick with?

I'll give this a go. Just to start off: most people on this forum take photos of scenery or birds, occasional portraits, but not many here take photos of people doing stuff. I didn't get a great idea of what you are taking photos of from your original post but with your dependence on AF I would guess it is likely pictures of people or things doing stuff. I shoot concerts in horrible lighting and events in horrible lighting, I hate flash, and I hate fill flash.

That all said, I was in a somewhat similar situation to yours not so long ago. I bought an A7 when it came out and hated that the controls were clunky, nothing moved fast enough including just changing settings because of the lag in the operating system, the AF was nothing to write home about and it can't actually track subjects when shooting at multiple frames per second because the sensor is too busy taking photos (the huge drawback to mirrorless at the moment in my book). So I sold the A7 because - flat out - it sucks for event photography where the shutter lag alone caused me to miss facial expressions that I would not see twice.

Then I doubled down on Canon, replaced my 5D2 with a 5D3. It compliments my 1D3 perfectly with its significantly better AF system that allows me to just leave the camera in AI Servo all day long and not worry about my subjects acting naturally and moving back and forth or side to side from the center AF point in one shot mode (5D2). The viewfinder is bigger, the controls are the same and the magnify function is maybe better maybe not depending on the day. The new grip feels great for 12 hour days unlike those tiny ass "grips" on the mirror-less systems.

With that in mind, I think you should definitely pick up a 5D3 - whether through lensrentals or just buying it. Forget the 135L, just get a 70-200 mk II and a 35L, they go together great and give you access to the focal lengths anyone needs. If you want wider then pick up that new 16-35 IS or a zeiss 21. You say that Nikon has better lenses but that has actually been shown to absolutely not be true - they may score higher on those dumb tests at DXo but thats only because of the higher resolution sensor on the D800 that just creates bigger PITA files to deal with at the end of a long day that I will never see the benefit from since I don't print out prints the size of walls.

That is my highly opinionated .02, take it or leave it .

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:02 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What camera brand should I stick with?

I am waiting for Photokina to see if Canon gives us a new sensor.

Until then I am shooting a Canon T4i and a Nikon D7100.

If Canon really gives us something interesting I will probably buy a 5D4 when released. Until then I'll buy whichever crop system has the new sensor.

If Canon doesn't do it, I'll buy a D810 or D610. And probably a 70D or 80D.

The 5D3 and 1DX have much higher precision AF with new lenses than the other bodies.

Give it 6-8 weeks.....

Good luck.
Michael

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:10 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What camera brand should I stick with?

I looked at your website. some nice images, though not much in terms of shallow dof.
If AF is the greatest paramount importance to you, and you want full frame, and shoot portraits, buy a 5d3. with 5d3, and assortment of its amazing lenses, if you are not getting the shot, its on you. d800 is another reasonable choice, though it had left the left AF being off issue. There are excellent lenses available for both. I do have 5d3
If you want something very small with great af, you can get the a a6000 or the fuji equivalent however, there are obviously the lenses are far more limited and nothing as fast as canikon offering

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:44 AM
swordfishphoto
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What camera brand should I stick with?

kevindar wrote:
I looked at your website. some nice images, though not much in terms of shallow dof.

Yeah up until a few months ago, all of my images were taken with MicroFourThirds cameras and lenses. I've only recently made the jump to full-frame and I love it. But there are drawbacks. The AF on my Panasonic and Olympus bodies is very quick and accurate even in the corners, unless someone is walking towards you.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What camera brand should I stick with?

EB-1 wrote:
Maybe you should rent something more modern than the 5D II for starters. That was one of the worst body purchases I ever made. Though cheap enough, the AF was just hopeless for my needs.

My thoughts exactly. I had a 5d2 . . . It was a happy day when I traded it. Don't get me wrong . . . for landscape it was excellent. But for the portrait work I do I struggled. Especially matched with the 85L. No spot metering on outer focus points and unreliable focus with outer focus points are the two main reasons I traded it for a D700.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What camera brand should I stick with?

swordfishphoto wrote:
Tons of options.

AF is sort of a big deal for me. I like my images to be perfectly in focus. If I'm standing in the lake and trying to use one of the stray AF points, I can't be there all day.

In an ideal world, I would have a stable full of Nikons, Canons, Panasonics, Olympuses and Mamiyas.

As for the comedian who thinks I should change my technique, well, lol. Not sure there's much else I can do. My steps are this: select AF point closest to the composition I want to have. Half-press shutter. Wait. Try again. Wait. Try
...Show more

Oh, this one's directed at me? I did not say anything about your photos. I was talking about your attitude.

In my "Ideal world' I'd have ONE camera and a set of lenses that did everything I needed. In your ideal world, you'd like to have every possible brand under the sun. So let's imagine your ideal world. You'd probably be blaiming Nikon for ugly skin colors, Canon for inaccurate AF, Panasonic and Olympus for noisy images and Mamiya for being slower than a snail.

The 5DII, while being somewhat handicapped in AF department is merely a tool. Many people here (for example in the wedding forum) made huge amount of money with it. Anne Leibowitz shot with 5DII back in the day. How could she survive this awful camera that constatnly produces OOF photos? So I'm *guessing* you're probably doing something wrong.

I take photos of boring things. I should also update my sports section with more recent photo, so you can bash more of my boring photos. Most of those old ones were taken with 40D, which has about the same AF module as 5DII

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Grantland wrote:
My thoughts exactly. I had a 5d2 . . . It was a happy day when I traded it. Don't get me wrong . . . for landscape it was excellent. But for the portrait work I do I struggled. Especially matched with the 85L. No spot metering on outer focus points and unreliable focus with outer focus points are the two main reasons I traded it for a D700.

The 5D MkII was a nearly perfect camera if Canon wouldn't have used its crippling method to release it with an outdated AF system still coming from the 5D to avoid internal competition with the 1Ds at the time. We still see the after-effects of this - the lack of good AF was resolved with the 5D MkIII but we then got the same sensor as in the predecessor (just with some better high ISO algorithms).

Nevertheless, the 5d MkII was a great landscape camera as long as its sensor was up-to-date, but I wouldn't recommend it now for portrait shooting with fast lenses. In this case I would go for a newer DSLR with better AF like the D700/D800 or 5D MkIII if vested in Canon lenses already.

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:17 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What camera brand should I stick with?

swordfishphoto wrote:
I really have no preference. Right now I'm shooting a 5D2 with a 50 1.4 and 85 1.8. After trading one of my Micro Four Thirds flagship cameras, I'm hooked on the shallow DOF and IQ. Not to say M43 is a slouch by any means. One major gripe is the crappy autofocus built in to the 5D Mark II. The center point is great, but with the fast glass and my penchant for shooting wide open, focus and recompose doesn't always cut it. Also I'm not at all a fan of having the autofocus points all in the middle.
...Show more

sword,

Got to agree with EB-1 on both points. Your shotgunning hoping to get a result vs lining up the items and itemizing in priority based upon their contributing value to your style of shooting. Either of the big two companies have plenty to offer & perhaps Sony as well.

There are plenty of well intentioned opinions here on FM but at the end of the day they are all based upon each provider's experiences, capabilities and preferences. The BEST advice is to RENT a body and a couple of lenses for a few days and have a plan to comprehensively test them out in regards to how they stack up to your prioritized list. The one you must satisfy is you and only you can to do that. No silver bullet here, you got to do your homework, or accept the fact that money spent in lieu of the exercise might leave you disappointed. JMTC

I would start with: http://www.lensrentals.com/

Good Luck!

Matt

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Get a 5dIII the af on the d800 isn't all that great. It's not terrible but I had better luck with fast lenses and canon than I do with my d800. I'm actually making a switch back over to canon took my first step today buying an 851.2II.

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What camera brand should I stick with?

swordfishphoto wrote:

Why?

Jul 21, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Isn't Photography supposed to be fun and rewarding, rather than an anguished Hell for tortured Gear Dweebs? Take a break, man. Don't pick up a camera for a month. Relax and think about what you really want from a camera. When you return, limit yourself to one body and just shut up and shoot the damn thing.

If you find that portrature and DOF are still critical then sure, what the heck - 'rent' a MF body and fast lens from KEH or Fleabay and give film a fling. Costs will be trivial compared to the wholesale Stalinist purge you're contemplating, and you can sell it back at minimal loss when/if you're through scratching that itch. If, after all this, you still find yourself fixating on the stupid gear, it's time to sell _everything_ and take up chess...

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:57 PM
JesseShotland
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Swordfishphoto,

I think you and I have every similar ideas of what funny is.

beaver.

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:03 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What camera brand should I stick with?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Why?

Exactly, in an ideal world Canon would have it all.

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What camera brand should I stick with?

I'm quite happy with a diverse market, but remember, de longer it goes, de verse it gets.

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:11 PM
swordfishphoto
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Milan Hutera wrote:
Oh, this one's directed at me? I did not say anything about your photos. I was talking about your attitude.

In my "Ideal world' I'd have ONE camera and a set of lenses that did everything I needed. In your ideal world, you'd like to have every possible brand under the sun. So let's imagine your ideal world. You'd probably be blaiming Nikon for ugly skin colors, Canon for inaccurate AF, Panasonic and Olympus for noisy images and Mamiya for being slower than a snail.

The 5DII, while being somewhat handicapped in AF department is merely a tool. Many
...Show more

Hmm perhaps you misunderstood me. My canon doesn't too often produce out of focus photos. Although at 100% some of the seemingly sharp photos aren't as sharp as I would like. One or two out of 100. My problem is hunting for focus and not getting it. Maybe I could solve it with the eg-s screen. Or switch to film and use a split-screen.

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Greg Campbell wrote:
Isn't Photography supposed to be fun and rewarding, rather than an anguished Hell for tortured Gear Dweebs? Take a break, man. Don't pick up a camera for a month. Relax and think about what you really want from a camera. When you return, limit yourself to one body and just shut up and shoot the damn thing.

Fun and rewarding - I think not!

EBH

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What camera brand should I stick with?

EB-1 wrote:
Fun and rewarding - I think not!

EBH

I always found photography fun until I switch to Nikon. I have fun shooting photos. Rewarding eh that just depends.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What camera brand should I stick with?

switch to anyone who has fresh hot bake sensor yearly

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:29 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password