Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · What camera brand should I stick with?

swordfishphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What camera brand should I stick with?

I really have no preference. Right now I'm shooting a 5D2 with a 50 1.4 and 85 1.8. After trading one of my Micro Four Thirds flagship cameras, I'm hooked on the shallow DOF and IQ. Not to say M43 is a slouch by any means. One major gripe is the crappy autofocus built in to the 5D Mark II. The center point is great, but with the fast glass and my penchant for shooting wide open, focus and recompose doesn't always cut it. Also I'm not at all a fan of having the autofocus points all in the middle. Since I shoot mainly on location in crazy conditions, I don't always have time to go into live-view and zoom in.

I could get rid of my Micro Four Thirds stuff and buy more nice L lenses for my Canon, ditching the 85 1.8, picking up an 85L, 135L, 200 2.8 L, and 24-70L.

I could keep both and just suck it up, wait to make money at photography (lol yeah right) and buy what I want later, keeping the benefits of the M43 system (size, deep DOF for critical focus) and full frame.

I could sell everything and switch to Nikon, which I think has better lenses. For the money I bet I could get a D800 and a couple lenses and flash. Always wanted a D800.

I could sell everything but the 50 and upgrade to a 5D3, plus a couple nice L lenses.

Honestly the larger sensor is amazing. And shallow depth of field is a game-changer for portraits, which is pretty much all I do. But a gripped full-frame camera with a telephoto portrait lens is heavy. Bulky. My EM-5 with 45 1.8 or 75 1.8 is nothing compared to the equivalent.

CaNikon have better accessories, but Canon has native radio flashes.

Nikon has Defocus Control lenses.

Olympus has X-sync of 1/250th (EM-5) and 1/320th (EM-1). Which means I can use all my manual flashes.

Or I could switch to medium format/645 film with leaf shutter lenses with 1/500th x-sync and say to hell with everything.

EM-1 has built in wifi tethering. 5D2/3 has an expensive accessory and makes you only able to use one battery.

Poop.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What camera brand should I stick with?

You might want to try a more focused question. You've asked about 5 different systems/options that seem so scattered.

If you like a D800 and think Nikon has better lenses, why not go that route?

Or just get a 645 camera and shot film...

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Maybe just go make some photographs. It is very difficult to make any sense out of your post or your question(s)... ;-)

Jul 20, 2014 at 01:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Something does not add up, i.e., I suspect the problem is not simply equipment.

Maybe you should rent something more modern than the 5D II for starters. That was one of the worst body purchases I ever made. Though cheap enough, the AF was just hopeless for my needs.

EBH

Jul 20, 2014 at 01:59 PM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What camera brand should I stick with?

If you want something light and cheap get a used T2i or a new SL1. Your 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 will give you great portraits with shallow depth of field. If money is no object, a 5DIII with a couple good L lenses is the way to go. A 6D is also a good option in between a rebel and 5DIII.

Or you could just keep the awesome 5DII kit you already have. If you shoot mostly portraits, you won't notice much improvement with any other camera you buy.

Jul 20, 2014 at 02:32 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What camera brand should I stick with?

You need to research the different options and see what works for you. Neither Nikon or Canon is better or worse when it comes to lenses-they are about equal some are better and some are worse. Canon has a few more options, but either should do the job. I've stayed with canon because I think their overall system is better and feel their repair system and pro support is better than Nikon or others. also 6d has wifi and gps that you mention, but you'll probably not be able to focus with it since most of the focusing points are around the center. Canon also has a soft focus lens.

Jul 20, 2014 at 02:39 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Here's the way to go ... :

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/Photography/Pendergrass/i-sPNhpqH/0/XL/Petit%20%2713%20Fri.-54-2-XL.jpg

Jul 20, 2014 at 02:42 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What camera brand should I stick with?

It often times takes years to purchase a full high quality kit that will meet all of your expectations. Most people can only justify building their kit at a certain rate and that can mean that you can not cover every expectation. You seem to have a pretty broad range of expectations and lack the funds to pursue everything you want. So it is time to prioritize and think through what is really critical for you. I would develop and write down a roadmap for how you might want to expand and change your kit over time (could be years). Then slowly move toward that plan, adjusting as required along the way.

In my experience, it is nice to own both a FF kit and a portable/compact kit. So playing one against the other is probably not a winning strategy. I would keep elements of both. Then your next big decision is where do you want to put your emphasis. For me, I placed my emphasis on my FF kit. Think through how you might want to construct both your FF kit and compact kit given your realistic resources.

Here is what I did ... you may make different decisions. I have a kit built around my 5D3; it is very complete. In addition I have the Canon EOS M. The M with a 22mm & 18-55mm lens is very portable. I have the adapter and can use other small EF lenses on the M (like the 40, 35 IS, 50, 60 macro, 85, etc.). The 40 has been really excellent for me in this role. The M can produce fantastic images. The 5D3 even better. Just stop and think about what you want in the end and slowly move toward that configuration for a couple of years.

Jul 20, 2014 at 02:45 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What camera brand should I stick with?

I think the dance option is the best one. FF and M43 is a great combo and covers just about any situation save for sports and hummingbirds...

Jul 20, 2014 at 03:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What camera brand should I stick with?

I'm dancing with many brands and formats. Most of my gears is Canon, with a Fujifilm appetiser, and a bit of Sony for dessert. That's always subject to change, but I don't see any big shifts in the near future.

P.S. the 1DX covers sports and BIF pretty OK, even small ones.

Jul 20, 2014 at 03:22 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What camera brand should I stick with?

A valium. A dram of bourbon or Islay whisky. Two doses of the grass isn't actually greener.

A a bit of toilet training for that random poop.

Edited on Jul 21, 2014 at 01:22 AM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2014 at 03:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What camera brand should I stick with?

I'd go for the grass...

...and maybe a wee dram of Islay for bedtime. Lagavulin, that is.

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:01 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What camera brand should I stick with?

If I were making such decisions, I'd sell all my cameras and get into golf. Then I'd join a golf forum and ask which brand of holes is the best, because my drive is awful and everybody laughs at my putting skills.

You said you're unhappy with the autofocus of 5DII. I find it strange that you're not trying to address the issue first by improving your technique OR buying a 5DIII and see if your photos won't get better.

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:12 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Sony A6000 for sure

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Jefferson wrote:
Here's the way to go ... :

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/Photography/Pendergrass/i-sPNhpqH/0/XL/Petit%20%2713%20Fri.-54-2-XL.jpg

Looks like he's receiving a telegraph.

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Personally if I had no allegiances I'd buy ..............

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Whayne, your signal got cut.

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:57 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What camera brand should I stick with?

Neither Canon nor Nikon have all the good lenses. Between some Canon L favorites, and some of the Nikkors, I am doomed to be a dual-brand shooter forever. To keep from going broke, I try to avoid too much duplication in lenses, and shoot with older camera bodies.

Yes, Canon Speedlites have RT, and even without RT, the 600EX is my idea of the best shoe-mount flash, but the SB-910 is a close second. The tie-breaker, for me, is the apparently sturdier latch and mount of the 600EX, and the way the electrical contacts engage in a way that cuts through any debris or lubricant on the hot shoe.

To be clear, I am not necessarily recommending that anyone become a dual-brand Canon-Nikon shooter; the main idea is that both brands are quite good. The skill and art of the shooter are what is important. Trying to learn, and use, two systems, can make progress more difficult. I had (and have) the advantage of mentors using both brands, to somewhat offset the complexity of trying to learn and use two systems.

I do not know enough about Oympus equipment to comment, other than to repeat myself: trying to learn, and use, two systems, can make progress more difficult.

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What camera brand should I stick with?

RexGig0 wrote:
...Trying to learn, and use, two systems, can make progress more difficult...

Yes, but I think it allows you to focus on exactly what you want the camera and lens to do for you. The rest is practice, leading to competence (hopefully).

Jul 20, 2014 at 06:26 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What camera brand should I stick with?

If I was interested in super shallow DOF portraits I would think the fast Canon L's would be the way to go (50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2, 200/2). As far as bodies go, I would choose a 5D3 but I value AF quite a bit. If you don't mind MF then perhaps a Sony A7r with adapter would be an alternative to get you the higher resolution sensor.

You've got a lot of options.

Jul 20, 2014 at 08:05 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.