Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Rainy day black bears

mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rainy day black bears

Had a day off to photograph some black bears near OBX, NC, but the weather decided not to cooperate

But, as a friend pointed out, a rainy day photographing black bears is still a pretty good day . Here are six images for your perusal. Please feel free to share any suggestions/crits .

Canon EOS-1D X    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/400s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/800s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/800s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/800s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 20, 2014 at 01:57 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rainy day black bears

Canon EOS-1D X    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/6.3    1/800s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/6.3    1/800s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 20, 2014 at 01:58 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rainy day black bears

Rain or no rain theae are wonderful. The famy shots are precious and I like the wide view showing the setting perfectly.
Eric

Jul 20, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rainy day black bears

Nothing wrong with working in the rain and having that evident in the shots Mitesh. That's nature and that's how it is when we are out in it on occasion. The trick is to work the rain well and that isn't easy. You did a marvelous job in the conditions. Pay careful attention during post to color cast and loss of contrast due to the conditions. 2 & 3 I really like because of the rain but I do think both could improve with just a touch of warming and some careful contrast adjustment. I have a whole pile of bison in Yellowstone that look like 2! Really nice work Mitesh And yes, shooting bears in the rain isn't such a bad thing

Tim

Jul 20, 2014 at 03:29 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rainy day black bears

Super work Mitesh with the first and last my top picks

Morris

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:00 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rainy day black bears

Very nice set, Mitesh. I like the freshness of the first one and the sweetness of the last
Socrate

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:21 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rainy day black bears

great shots with the cubs.
you know what they say about your worst day fishin'.....

David

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:30 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rainy day black bears

I love shooting in the rain. Or even better yet, in snow. It's tough, yes, but so rewarding when you get it right. And you did. Nice work!

H

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:34 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rainy day black bears

Lovely set Mitesh, well done. #2 and #6 are my favourites here.
David

Jul 20, 2014 at 07:36 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rainy day black bears

a sweet set Mitesh.. the last one is my favorite

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rainy day black bears

eyelaser wrote:
Rain or no rain theae are wonderful. The famy shots are precious and I like the wide view showing the setting perfectly.
Eric

Thanks for the comments, Eric. I know you've seen a lot of parent/child interaction in the different animals you've photographed, and I agree that there is something very special about those types of photos. There was another sow with three cubs in the distance that were even more active than this family. Too far to photograph, but we still enjoyed watching the cubs play and learn about their surroundings .

---------------------------------------------

morris wrote:
Super work Mitesh with the first and last my top picks

Morris

Thanks, Morris!

Shasoc wrote:
Very nice set, Mitesh. I like the freshness of the first one and the sweetness of the last
Socrate

Hi Socrate, thanks very much! I was amazed at how much "salad" the first bear was able to put away during the time I was watching him!

dgdg wrote:
great shots with the cubs.
you know what they say about your worst day fishin'.....

David

Thanks, David, and yes, I do know and agree

hnilsson wrote:
I love shooting in the rain. Or even better yet, in snow. It's tough, yes, but so rewarding when you get it right. And you did. Nice work!

H

Thanks, Henrik! While shooting, I was actually thinking about some of your images shot in snowy conditions. Eagles and owls in flight, bears, etc... amazing! The weather adds an interesting element to the images, but requires additional consideration and preparation... lesson learned !

David Leask wrote:
Lovely set Mitesh, well done. #2 and #6 are my favourites here.
David

Thanks very much, David!

kmunroe wrote:
a sweet set Mitesh.. the last one is my favorite

Thanks, Kenny!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rainy day black bears

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Nothing wrong with working in the rain and having that evident in the shots Mitesh. That's nature and that's how it is when we are out in it on occasion. The trick is to work the rain well and that isn't easy. You did a marvelous job in the conditions. Pay careful attention during post to color cast and loss of contrast due to the conditions. 2 & 3 I really like because of the rain but I do think both could improve with just a touch of warming and some careful contrast adjustment. I have a whole pile
...Show more

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply and suggestions on the two images. I went back to both of them in LR and bumped WB a bit and did some curves adjustments to add more contrast. I'm reposting the originals and edits here to illustrate the difference. I do think the edits pop a bit more and make for better overall photos. Thanks again!

Original

Edit

Original

Edit

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rainy day black bears

Nice job on these bears Mitesh! I especially like the last one. Real good work.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:28 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rainy day black bears

See - I told ya' others would like these. Still a very nice job on these, and Tim's advice was spot on. I do like the rainy shots, but the shots with the cubs are too cute ~ Ron

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:16 AM
James McQueen
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rainy day black bears

Excellent images of the bears. Did you photograph those in the Alligator Wildlife Reserve? I see signs warning of the bears when I travel hwy 64 to OBX.

- Jim

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:59 AM
Elkoholic

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rainy day black bears

Great images. I've photographed a large number of bears, both black and grizzlies, and I will always take conditions like you experienced here rather than harsh, direct sunlight. Black bears in harsh light are impossible to process; these however provide wonderful mood, something that enhances images rather than distracts. Great work.
Tim

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:03 AM
psharvic
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rainy day black bears

Nice work Mitesh. The last is really nice. Like the edit on the 2nd. Thanks for posting.

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:06 AM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rainy day black bears

Even in the rain those youngsters are mighty cute, good job.

Rob

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:26 AM
capo99
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rainy day black bears

Great shots despite the rain.

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:31 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rainy day black bears

Great stuff. I think Tim's pp comments were right on and improve them. Eric's too, lovely family photos. Well done for hanging in there despite the rain. Your images are a fine reward.

Phil

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:53 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password