Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Photo Insurance

Peter Urbanski
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Insurance

I am looking for an insurance company that has good rates and coverage for camera equipment and liability when on assignment. A company that specializes in photo insurance contacted me 3-4 years ago and had excellent rates, but I lost their contact information.

Jul 20, 2014 at 01:54 PM
jjf88
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Insurance

Look into Package Choice with Hill and Usher. I have had no issues and good communication with them. Have yet to file a claim.

You will get a lot of suggestions.

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:43 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Insurance

I’ll second Hill & Usher . . . I switched to them after previously being with Tom Pickard ( tcpinsurance.com ).

My only complaint with H&U is they’re not set up to notify you via email when your policy is about to expire, which can be a big problem if you’re traveling or out of the country.

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:56 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Insurance

Or you could try State Farm.

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:22 PM
glort
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Insurance

We'll I'll admit it's a long time since I even looked into insurance for gear but when I did, it was ridicilously expensive. The tales of the companies knocking back legit claims also outnumbered the satisfied people I spoke to but a very significant number.

I have been a shooter 30 years now and the only time I ever lost any gear was basicaly when I was a dumb kid and didn't tie my bag od second had garbage to my motorbike properly and a lens fell out.
In all my years as a pro, I haven't had any other disasters. Only gear failures I have had was when the things were under warranty so that wasn't an issue even if it would be covered.

I know some people have disasters and insurance is helpful to them but the thing is for me I have been lucky ( or very careful) and haven't had any disasters. even if I lost my whole camera bag which is far from everything I own ( I take what I need to a job and that's it) It's not the end of the world. I can afford to replace it without having to pawn my children ( if only I could!!!) and If need be I could go and buy something at the local shopping centre to get me through if I had another job tomorrow.

I weight that up with the cost of insurance which while I don't know what the cost would be, it's a pretty fair bet that if I can hang on to my stuff without calamity for 5 or less years, it's paid for in the preimums anyway.
When I buy gear now I buy he 5 year warranties which meansthe gear is coverd against failure for more than it's workable lifetime. My kids already take some pretty impressive looking gear on school excursions but it's pretty much worthless to me so what the hell.

I have public liability and disability insurance because I can't afford to potentially cover that. One trick a friend told me to reduce your preimums on any insurrance is take a bigger excess. Instead of picking up say the first $250, I increased mine to $1000 and it made a very significant difference to the yearly preimum. Again, I have never had to clam on this so when I do, i'll be well ahead anyway.

There are some insurances I wouldn't live without because the potential loss is too much for me to meet but other things like camera gear that I can cover and have never had any problems with, I'll risk manage myself. If worst does happen, Oh well. Perfect justification for a new bag of goodies and I'm ahead over all on what I would have paid for all the years of never having anything happen to claim on.

Jul 22, 2014 at 05:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JakeB17
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Insurance

I have Taylor and Taylor for my gear insurance.

TCP is good, but a little more expensive that others, and requires general liability coverage. I've heard good things about Hill and Usher, but in my experience it took them months to even get me a quote despite numerous calls.

Jul 22, 2014 at 05:58 AM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Insurance

CNA Insurance
Tried Hill & Usher but they don't sell in this state.

Jul 24, 2014 at 01:13 AM
robots4joey

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo Insurance

We have hill and usher- no complaints but no claims either.

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:35 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo Insurance

Do a search. This topic comes up about once a month or so.

I use and recommend Tom C Pickard: http://www.tcpinsurance.com/

Jul 24, 2014 at 08:38 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password