New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

silverr1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

Looking to get a new shoulder bag for my setup and I have narrowed it down to the Billingham Hadley Small and the Think Tank Retrospective 5. I really want to get the Billingham but am a little concerned on the width. The specs show it at 80mm or 3 1/8". I want to use my new bag to carry my A7, FE 55 1.8, FE 35 2.8, FE 24-70, and FE 70-200. I'm concerned about the width of the 70-200. Specs show this lens at 80mm but I'm not sure if this includes the lens hood. My lens will not be here till next week.

Can someone who owns the lens please measure the width of the lens hood? Also full length of the lens with hood reversed would be helpful also.

Unfortunately there are no local retailers to see these bags locally so I'll have to order which ever one I chose.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated also. Looking to stay as small as possible but fit my gear.

thx

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

the hood for 70-200 is big. Dia at 100mm and length at 73mm

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:59 PM
silverr1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

Thanks for the measurement.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

btw, i have the Think Tank Retrospective 5 and you can't put all of it in there.

i also have Domke F-5XB, the 70-200 is barely fit inside (without hood) when you lay it down horizontal. Just a reference for you.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

4 lenses plus the camera - I would think both of those bags are too small. I have something similar (Tamrac - forget which reporter model) and there is no way to get those lenses in. If you go to Google or Yahoo Images then you can find plenty of shots of those bags with lenses in them for comparative purposes.

I bought a Chinese brand (Godspeed) who make very good quality, and very well designed, bags - not sure if you can find them over there - however the internal meansurements (it takes 4 lenses and the camera exactly) are : 30 cms long x 21 cms wide.

Jul 20, 2014 at 03:31 AM
allebaug

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

I used a Tamrac model #-5724, Zuma 4, several months ago while travelling. The bag held two Sony bodies, a7R and Nex6, with four lenses, the Zeiss-E16-70/4, the FE 35/2.8 and 55/1.8, and the Leica WATE, plus a small 10" laptop and other small gear - filters, spare batteries, ... A small flash too - the F20M. The camera bodies always had a lens attached, hood reversed, with another padded lens laid horizontal below the camera in the bag. A single center pad divider separated the bodies. I did need to attach a longer padded shoulder strap for messenger-style carry.

Tamrac has a bigger model #-5725, Zuma 5. That larger bag will hold your kit, plus small gear and a laptop/tablet as needed. Worth a look.

Jul 20, 2014 at 08:47 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

http://www.lowepro.com/promessenger#prettyPhoto

Either the 180 or 160 will work. I love these bags. Excellent construction, nice color, and the most comfortable strap ever.

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:26 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

I have a Billingham Hadley Pro, one size up from the Small you are considering, and I stuff it full of gear (A7R and lenses, plus tripod). I would not bet on the Small being large enough for your 4 lenses. It is not the width that bothers me (on the Pro at least), because I own a Leica R Summilux 80 wich is a wide beast (67mm diam), it is the length of the FE 70-200. Then, if that did fit, as did the 24-70 in the other pocket, and the FE35 mounted on the camera in the middle, where would I ever fit that FE55? And I am talking the Pro, not the Small. And the FE 70-200 with the tripod collar, of course. But the above is only a guess, I didn't actually try.
That said, I am super pleased with my Billingham, one of my best gear purchases ever. I take it with me everywhere and go into business meetings with nobody the wiser that it is a camera bag, and can then take pics as soon as I am out and about.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:23 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

FWIW, I also have the Restrospective 5 and there's no way you're going to fit all that in there.

I've managed to carry the following in the Retro 5, though - A7 with lens attached, pointed downward, and this roster (one being attached): FE 35, Pentax 50/1.4, Leica-R 90/2, Canon 20mm/2.8 It's fairly tight, but it works well. The Canon 20mm is actually the hardest to "fit" in the bag in this config because of it's front lens width.

Note that these lenses don't have additional hood width to contend with (Leica has built-in, the FE 35 is tiny). If my Canon 20mm had a hood, I wouldn't be able to fit it probably.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

Im happy with my Lowepro Passport Sling II - http://store.lowepro.com/passport-sling-ii
It handles my A7r, gorilla-pod and 3 or 4 lens. Sometimes my largest is the CYZ 100-300, which compares to your 70-200. It has a nice zip out extension. My only nit is that I wish it had a couple more zippered or velcro pockets.
Dave

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM
silverr1

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

Hey thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I think I'm going with the Retro 7. I've located a local seller for one in pristine condition. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:11 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7/Lenses Shoulder Bag

With retro 7, if you don't mount the A7 to any lens then it will fit all 4 lenses and the body. But do you really hauling ALL 4 lenses with you at all time?

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.