Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Couple of bugs with new diffusion set up

cadman342001
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Couple of bugs with new diffusion set up

Nothing special, but have re-diffused my flash, using a circular plastic pot lined with foil and a few layers of foam stuff, 1/32 flash power (Yongnuo YN560-III) and am using a cheap LED ring light on the end of the lens to aid focussing, set on "light" rather than flash obviously, kinda like the one built in to the MT-24EX. (It's not very powerful and I have it turned right down so doesn't affect the pics exposure), temp bracket made of cheap ass metal strip with holes in it, wanted to try to get it as good as I want it before making a permanent one.

(I'll add a pic to the "post your set-up" thread)

Here's a couple of quick shots with it

_AGM4723 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM4716 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

I have about 8 layers of thin foam, started with 2 layers and built up from there, rotating each through 45 degrees to try and diffuse better, adding more doesn't seem to help but like I say I'm using 1/32 power @ f8 ISO 200 1/200ss.

I think this light is pretty good but still get reflections on shiny bugs. Anyone got any tips for reducing that ? Is it even possible ?

Andy

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:16 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couple of bugs with new diffusion set up

Another thing to look for is pixel overload on shiny highlights, especially on shiny hairs. I get that with sunlight and flash. This is the reason some photographers go back to film.

I think you may find that f11 gives more pleasing DOF, very much a personal preference.

Harold

Jul 20, 2014 at 07:02 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couple of bugs with new diffusion set up

IMHO you'd get better light with fewer layers but either get the diffuser closer to the subject, make the diffuser surface larger, or both.

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password