Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Ravitej
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Not sure if I would go 17" Had a MacPro 17" and it was a beast to carry around. Depending on what you use at home, would think that a 15-ish with all the bells and whistles and outstanding onboard monitor would be better for carry. But what happens when you go home? Do you transfer images to another computer? If not, would ask your computer guy if he could configure the computer with a graphics card that could support a top notch monitor to be plugged in at home. Laptop and monitor for pallets and main work area when back at base. And use an outstanding wireless mouse for tight PS work. Or even a smaller graphics tablet and pen. That should all fit in a compact case for carry. At home the plug in monitor at 23-27" for finish work. Have 1 TB HD for photos and video. Photos just need lots of space to save on. One can fill up a smaller SSD drive on an extended shoot and get too close to not having enough for the PS work. The working environment is all the same then. Compact carry and serious work. Same mouse, tablet and computer. Nothing varies. Same results out or in.

Jul 20, 2014 at 06:30 PM
IzzyG
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Nevermind. Just saw your last line. Lol ;p

Jul 21, 2014 at 02:36 AM
CarnCarn

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

I second the Asus, it's an amazing laptop that is a powehouse for video, potential space and RAM.

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:06 AM
Mike1.6
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
In the end, I'm having my computer guy build me an ASUS from scratch with a large SS drive and lots of RAM. Cannot wait to get it. No Macs - not interested.

I've had good luck with Asus myself, Lisa. Although my Dell XPS 15 has also been very good, after calibration. Tell me, did you go for a 17.3" screen or a 15.6"? Also, since you are having your machine built custom, are you opting to stay with Windows 7?

Just curious. I've never used a 17.3" laptop and the only thing about the XPS 15 I haven't thoroughly enjoyed is Windows 8.

I don't really want to touch my laptop screen, ever. It's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, surrounded by enigma.

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:34 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Absolutely amazing how many people ignored an explicit request to NOT recommend a Mac. *mind blown*

They just read what they want, not the whole post...

Edited on Jul 21, 2014 at 09:38 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:15 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

I'm a pc fan and yet I own a macbook pro retina. Best laptop I have come across for editing photos. It is now my main editing machine. Touchpad is amazing and I never use a mouse anymore.

Why not consider a mac? It really is the best for laptops.

Jul 21, 2014 at 03:27 PM
jodo
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Absolutely amazing how many people ignored an explicit request to NOT recommend a Mac. *mind blown*

sivrajbm wrote:
They just read what they want, not they whole post...

To be fair, Lisa added the no Mac request as an edit long after many Mac posts were made. No reason to belittle those posters.

Jul 21, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

sivrajbm wrote:
They just read what they want, not they whole post...

Well, it is a misleading title. The title should have been Best non-Mac laptop for editing.

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:29 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

I read that you are getting a custom built ASUS. SSD and lot of RAM will help.

For any others, below is my experiences.

Alienware is a great brand. I have lots of gamer friends that love them.

I would stay away from Toshiba especially the Qosmio. I bought one from Costco, which had a major motherboard failure and the entire laptop was replaced under warranty. The warranty replacement went up in flames and smoke (literally) just 3 months after the extended warranty expired. I took it to a local shop for evaluation, and the tech stated he had several Qosmio units in over the past year or 2. He did not recommend fixing due to the amount of damage.

I now have an older (2-3 years ago) Dell XPS 17, which works great for me. I did add more RAM to max it out.

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:59 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

I'm a little late to the party here, and despite my usually running away from threads like this I'm going to add a comment anyway. It also looks like you've made a decision so I suppose it's only for some future reference.

It continually amazes me to see the opinions of this topic here and at almost every other site. I think that many who insist there is only one solution have some, but maybe limited experience with a lot of variety in hardware. I especially love the Dell bashers and Apple bigots...those comments are usually the most closed minded and often misstated of all. Statistically Dell has one of the highest reliability rates in the industry. The record is very good. In fact, in most credible studies all of the major players are surprisingly close. Dell, HP, Lenovo and Apple are competing for fractions of a percentage point. Why do I say all of this? I suppose if nothing else it would be to encourage people to look all around. I get that you have had a terrible experience with XXX OEM, and that really sucks. We all appreciate learning from those experiences.

For what it's worth I work daily with a variety of systems. Currently a couple different Macbooks and a couple different Windows machines. If I were to compare similar configurations I can't say one is vastly superior over the other; they are just different. For me I've enjoyed spending more time with the MBP lineup than I might have in the past.

To that end, I've long been a fan of the Dell Precision machines and the power/certifications and capabilities they bring. Again, I'm not saying it's better than a MBP 15" Retina machine (which really is an incredibly bit of technology) or any other. I think the Dell Precision 3800 is worth a look. QHD display, lots of memory, SSD, etc. Here is a link to a (Dell published) whitepaper comparing to a MBP. Take it not as gospel but rather a point of consideration: http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Precision_M3800_MacBook_Pro_1113.pdf

The Asus machines mentioned are also pretty nice too. But in my opinion, a 17" portable just gets a bit difficult to deal with. I want portable, not luggable. I had enough of that way-back-when.

Enjoy the new custom config you are having built!

EDIT: One more quick thing...while the gap is probably closing, there really is a different between what I'd consider consumer-grade machines and commercial-grade offerings. In loose terms, if I can find it easily in Best Buy or other superstore, it is very likely a consumer grade product. The commercial grade products will frequently offer a higher quality set of components and meet many standards quite well. The trade-off might be that they are not on the bleeding edge of what's available. They are designed for stability not the fastest component of the week.

Jul 23, 2014 at 01:08 AM

ICee
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Lisa, Maybe you should have put best windows laptop as putting best laptop only has one answer as you have found "mac".

For what it's worth getting one built to your specs is the next best option.

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:47 PM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Dang - sorry Mac fanbois - they are NOT the graphics machines they *used* to be. When I went from Tiger to Leopard Apple broke color management, file sharing and a half dozen other things. They blithely tried to point the finger at Epson, Canon... anyone but themselves. Took 'em 8 months to fix it. Don't get me started on the 6 bit LCD panels they foisted on folks thinking they were higher quality.
Granted that's past history but they have increasingly separated themselves from the professional graphics folks now for the past 5 years. They are increasingly catering to the education and hipster crowd.
Meanwhile Windows based computers have simply gotten astonishingly good at graphics - note that the last two passes on Adobe-ware the high performance and 64 bit options were on PC first - things like GPU utilization for a coprocessor.
So to the OP - good decision on a PC. Sony and Asus both have some higher end machines that have superb graphics. Some of the Dells I hear have potential. I found I only did so much editing "in the field" as it were. Get something with higher end graphics and use an external monitor for critical editing. I was just looking at some Alienware laptops that have actual ATi video cards with up to a gig of ram on them.

Jul 25, 2014 at 06:23 PM
swordfishphoto
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

I would get a PC if I didn't care about accurate colors or contrast.

Since no one made a laptop a one or two years ago with a comparable screen, I'm stuck with Apple. I need to buy used because I'm poor/broke. If anyone knows a way around this, lemme know.

Jul 25, 2014 at 08:13 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

4k Option. Toshiba Satellite P50T-BST2N01 Laptop

LAPTOP SUMMARY This product is prebuilt.
Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ Processor
Windows 8.1
16GB DDR3L memory
1TB 5400rpm Hybrid hard drive
2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ R9 M265X
DVD SuperMulti Drive
4K Ultra HD TruBrite® Touchscreen display (3840x2160)
Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AC + Bluetooth® 4.0 (867Mbps), HD
HD webcam w/stereo microphone
LED backlit keyboard
HDMI® with 4K Ultra HD output
Starting at 5.1 lbs

--------

Roger Lund

Jul 25, 2014 at 08:22 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

4K resolution on a 15" screen? How can you even see anything?

We just got my son an alienware that's 1920x1080 on 17" and that's hard enough on my apparently-rapidly-aging eyes.

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:56 PM
swordfishphoto
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Lol touchscreen.

Jul 26, 2014 at 07:27 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

some good responses in this thread - thanks to everyone who shared their experiences/expertise on the matter.

Lisa, please let us know the specs of your final machine when it's ready!

Jul 26, 2014 at 09:12 AM
jeffrichdavis

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

I have an ASUS laptop and love it. Not sure which one you're getting, but if I were you I would get this one:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/02/asus-zenbook-nx500/

Jul 26, 2014 at 02:49 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

Jonathan Brady wrote:

She also said: "I just want something that will work well and not give me a migraine." So naturally, those who have a Mac would ignore that last sentence. She also said budget wasn't an issue. So if you can afford the best....

Besides, what fun would life be if we all followed instructions?

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:21 AM
warpig602
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · BEST laptop for photo editing...Go!

I literally just went through this last week. After ruling out a Mac I wa set on an Asus or Alienware. Then I added a Toshiba Qosmio to the list. Then while looking for computers with similar specs, I found this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161373398436?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

All the specs I was looking for and 4-600.00 cheaper. Aside from Windows 8.1im pretty happy.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password