Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

rooibos1986

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

So I have an Fuij X-e1 with 55-200 lens. Not a lot to dislike about the Fuji other than it's AF. Oh my gosh. It's hard. I'm wondering if anyone has experience shooting specifically action with mirrorless cameras in general, and especially with X-E2 and X-T1.

I mean, I can make do with AF that doesn't track, but what kills me are the delays in the initial lock when you're panning around trying to catch darting/fast moving objects and the lighting is changing a bunch, the Fuji cycles through it's AF, and usually starts capturing the image about a second too late, when the subject is gone.

If I know the path of the subject, I can do fine - prefocus, and then fire when in view. But as you know, most action shots aren't that way. Or at least a lot of them aren't.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Jul 19, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

There are reasons why current level mirrorless won't ever be used in the sports world, maybe even future generations of them. AF for quick moving sports is just too fast for the technology right now. They have their limits, work around them or get the right equipment.

Matt

Jul 19, 2014 at 06:06 PM
rooibos1986

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

Good insight. Thank-you.

Jul 19, 2014 at 06:47 PM
pplskills
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

Just got an X-E1 as well. Not selling my Canon gear that I use for sports anytime soon. Might keep E1 in pocket in case I need a wide angle shot of stadium or something without having to change lenses on Canon gear.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM
josh_jordan

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

I just rented the panasonic lumix gh4 for a week...it seems that improvements have been made, but I was still losing the first few shots. It has a setting to similar to the focus/shutter priority in the 1DX, but it takes a few frames to catch up.A fraction of the weight and 12fps sure makes a nice case as a third body around the neck, even if its not a proper sports rig.

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:51 PM
alicat
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

I'm using the XT-1 and the 55-200 for action at the college level. Had almost no problems with lacrosse and softball or any other sports. Like any system you need to get used to the way the camera reacts and react the same way. I'm not missing any of the key moments. With that said, I still don't see the moment in the viewfinder like an SLR but it's really easy to anticipate the action in most cases. I can still get the action of a pitcher in softball or the ball meeting the bat--the ball in play with lacrosse at any moment, ladies or men, the men being much faster.

Here are a few shots at peak action time with a lot going on. The camera lens combo handled as well as a canon would. Iso were 800 and 2000 I believe.

Jul 23, 2014 at 04:35 PM
mgbII

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

I know it's not a Fuji but I just wanted to share this with you.

I bought a Nikon V2 with the FT-1 at a very good deal. I thought it would make sense to use it with my 70-200 for my kids soccer games knowing that ith the crop factor I get a screaming +/-540mm f/2.8 OS maxed out. Very usefull with these long fields. Maybe a bit too much but the 200mm was not enough for me anyway.

Basically it's a question of compromises. I can't say that I missed many shots with the V2 but it's a world away from my other camera, a D7100.

What bugs me the most about the V2:
- Very poor results in low light condition. AF hunts.
- Sometimes the shutter locks up when you change focal length rapidly
- The ever slow processing between shots

Now that that I got the feel of the camera I can live with it's limits and work my way around the little ''bugs''. It makes me appreciate my D7100 even more.

So, for a professional use for fast action sports... No way. Not with a V2. Never tried a V3.

But at the end, what's important for me ? Get great pictures, use my Nikon glass, turn my 70-200 into a super ''telephoto'' lens and saved a bundle on the purchase of a super 300-400mm prime.

Like many other things in life, it's always a question of compromises.

Jul 25, 2014 at 04:08 PM
srhphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirrorless For Action? X-E1/E2, X-T1

Let me be clear that I wouldn't recommend shooting sports professionally with a mirrorless camera yet. Having said that, I really don't think it will be too long before CDAF systems catch up PDAF systems.

For sports with predictable action you can successfully use mirrorless systems. I shoot a lot of Motorsport using a GX7 and a range of legacy lenses.

Porsche Carrera Cup Great Briton by srhphoto, on Flickr

Obviously I prefocus, and then use focus peaking to let me know when my subject has entered the focal plane so I can time my shot properly.

Cheers,

Simon.

Jul 29, 2014 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.