Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

NZ North Island in February

Henry W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NZ North Island in February

We are booked into motel on the outskirts of Auckland early in February. We will have a rental car and 3-4 days free to look for photo ops.

Any ideas for an older (and not very agile) couple would be appreciated.

Thanks - Henry

Jul 19, 2014 at 05:46 PM
infectedlogic
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NZ North Island in February

Hi Henry -

New Zealand is one of my favorite places in the world. Everywhere you go is stunning, so you can't go wrong just driving around and intentionally getting lost. Around Auckland, I have two suggestions -

One of the first places I visited when I was in NZ was Karekare Beach... Easy to get to (~45min drive), relatively flat, and absolutely beautiful. I went in May and my cousin and I had the whole beach (and surrounding park) to ourselves.

Second place I highly recommend if you have time, is the Coromandel Peninsula. The coastal drive was a lot of fun. If you get a chance, stop by Umu for some excellent food, one of my top meals in NZ (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g652406-d1917387-Reviews-Umu-Coromandel_Coromandel_Peninsula_Waikato_Region_North_Island.html)

Can't wait to see the photos from your trip!

Rich

Aug 29, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NZ North Island in February

Great thoughts

Coromandel was recommended by another friend also.

- Thanks

Aug 29, 2014 at 09:50 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NZ North Island in February

Henry, be careful on the North Island. Lots of gang activity, and car break-ins are common.

http://e2nz.org/

-Phil

Aug 30, 2014 at 01:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mattnz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NZ North Island in February

For landscapes, the region's west coast beaches are wonderful and rugged - Karekare beach as mentioned, and I'd add Piha to that list as well. The east coast beaches have white(r) sand and have a more tropical feel, especially the further north you get.

Coromandel is really lovely, if you can manage a somewhat uneven 30 min walk, Cathedral Cove is a very popular and beautiful spot.

3-4 hours north of Auckland is the bay of islands, another really beautiful and popular destination. Might be worth having a quick google to see if that's of interest. Water based sightseeing is popular up that way.

I'm sure Phil's intentions are good, but NZ is not known at all as being a dangerous country and like most places if you are careful & don't leave valuables in your car you should be absolutely fine. From what I've heard we (kiwis) are generally a friendly bunch! Hope you have a great trip.

Sep 01, 2014 at 11:32 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NZ North Island in February

mattnz wrote:
From what I've heard we (kiwis) are generally a friendly bunch!

Absolutely, but if you are honest with yourself you can't deny that NZ has a problem with P, alcoholism, boy racers and gangs, and some race related issues between Maoris and Pakehas on top of that. I've lived in your beautiful country for quite some time and know a few of the dirty little secrets that Tourism New Zealand would love to sweep under the carpet.

mattnz wrote:
NZ is not known at all as being a dangerous country

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10553238

-Phil

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NZ North Island in February

Many thanks to all for your very interesting info.
Not sure what this means: NZ has a problem with P

H

Sep 02, 2014 at 05:20 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NZ North Island in February

Henry,

"P" is the Kiwi name for meth.

-Phil

Sep 02, 2014 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell