FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

tyasa81
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

Tried post processing it different from the usual. Taken in Swiss during bus tour. Critique on the processing is appreciated. and what would you do for pp if this is your image?

Swiss Mountain by Tony Yasa, on Flickr

Sony ILCE-7
FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/5.6
37.0 mm
1/800 (Moving bus during tour. I rather have a noisy image than a blurry one)

Edited by JimFox on Jul 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

Hey Tony,

If you want people to show or tell you what they would do different, how about posting a jpg of the original also. Without seeing the original, it's really hard to say what you could have done different, or what restrictions you had in processing based on the original.

Jim

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

Thank you Jim. I didn't know why that did not cross my mind when i post this in the first place. Here is the original jpeg, before any processing

Color Original Jpeg by Tony Yasa, on Flickr

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:01 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

Beautiful view and a nice place to be chomping on a biscuit while riding the bus!

Gosh, that's a tough question for me.
I like the color version better. I think the bw conversion you created accentuates the noise. Also there is a small patch of faint green above and left of the house to my eyes. This compounds things for me. You did a good job with the bus's 'watermark' on the right corner.

I think with a foggy, noisy, through a bus window view that the color version is more pleasing. Maybe add a bit of contrast or clarity to the background. In the end, with all the limitations imposed it's a nice tour photo. You can only make this photo so good. You can't make great light or eliminate the noise while preserving detail.

Guess that's why we all try to sneak out with our tripods or fly rods while everyone is eating dinner after a long day touring. Photography and fly fishing are the same in this way.

David

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:27 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

I like the color more, it hard to tell, but with that moody light there is only as much u can do, i assume some minor PP could improve it a bit.

Andrey

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

the black and white is good, but it needs to actually be BW. i see patches of green in the middle and some magenta thrown in as well. Also a crop from the left to get rid of that sky would be nice. basically a square of the Right hand side. makes a nice square.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM
MASL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

I take it that the sky is not recoverable? Detail in the clouds would help a lot. otherwise the B&W works.
-Mark

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

Thanx all for the reply.

The goal of this pp is to post process it differently than my usual. I added blue in the shadow and orange in the highlight. No idea how it become green. Guess it is not popular that's ok. I wanted to try to shift some of the color in the color picture as well later. Will post when it is done.

Anyway, i am getting bored of my usual pp, which is usually quite minimal. So i'm using this image to try to do a little something else even if the result sucks hopefully i will learn something. The goal is learning shifting/adding colors and playing with contrasts.

mark, the sky isn't recoverable. It is like that when i view from the eye. It is just a rainy/foggy time of the day. I shot raw and i brought out whatever is recoverable in the jpeg i posted here already.

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:32 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

tyasa81 wrote:
Thanx all for the reply.

The goal of this pp is to post process it differently than my usual. I added blue in the shadow and orange in the highlight. No idea how it become green. Guess it is not popular that's ok. I wanted to try to shift some of the color in the color picture as well later. Will post when it is done.

Anyway, i am getting bored of my usual pp, which is usually quite minimal. So i'm using this image to try to do a little something else even if the result sucks hopefully i
...Show more

Hey Tony,

Okay, so here are 2 quick workups since you wanted something different. I used presets for both of them.

#1 is with Topaz Clarity - Contrast #3 under Landscape Presets.

#2 is the first edit with Nik Color Efex Pro 4 - Indian Summer setting, for something totally different and obviously fake. But it's different...

Jim

Jul 21, 2014 at 07:26 PM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Swiss Landscape - Post processing critique

Hi Jim,

thanx for the pp... What do you thnk of the orange pp? do yourself like it?

Anyway, i kept messing around with the picture, pulling sliders, messing with contrast and colors in ps, and nothing wows me... in the end i just did another normal pp.. here's the one in color. I felt learning pp is so much harder than learning how to compose photos

DSC06189-Edit-2 by Tony Yasa, on Flickr

Jul 23, 2014 at 01:14 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.