Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Old Homestead

pike40
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Homestead

Could not resist the light on this old homestead when we drove past it. I am mixed about the branch on the right side of the image but my wife liked it so I left it in. Any Comment or Critiques would be appreciated as would any other comments. Hope you enjoy the image, thanks for looking.

Mike

© pike40 2014

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Homestead

Hey Mike,

I think your branches on the right work here, they fill a huge part of the scene so they do feel as if they belong. The one thing I would suggest though is to work on your layer mask for the sky among the tree branches, lots of lighter sky showing through all over the place there.

Using the Color Range tool in Photoshop is one way that will then select those tiny areas in between the leaves and along edges for you. If it seems to then also select areas outside of the sky region, you can use one top layer mask with just the top half of the image selected, that way if it the Color range does select anything down in the foreground area, it won't show through.

If you need any help, or more specifics, just let me know.

Jim

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Homestead

JimFox wrote:
Hey Mike,

I think your branches on the right work here, they fill a huge part of the scene so they do feel as if they belong. The one thing I would suggest though is to work on your layer mask for the sky among the tree branches, lots of lighter sky showing through all over the place there.

Using the Color Range tool in Photoshop is one way that will then select those tiny areas in between the leaves and along edges for you. If it seems to then also select areas outside of the sky region, you can use one
...Show more

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the comments and advice. I will play with it and see what I can come up.

Mike

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Homestead

Mike,
The tree branch works for me! Cements the foreground in the image. It needed that.
Dan

Jul 19, 2014 at 03:17 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Homestead

Danpbphoto wrote:
Mike,
The tree branch works for me! Cements the foreground in the image. It needed that.
Dan

Thanks for the input Dan.

Jul 19, 2014 at 05:37 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Homestead

I reworked the image per Jim's suggestions, Also used topaz to add just a little pop to it. Appreciate any comments you might have.

Mike

© pike40 2014

Homestead rework

Edited on Jul 20, 2014 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Homestead

Like this redo even better!
Nice job!!!
Dan

Jul 19, 2014 at 06:46 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old Homestead

I like the branch too.

Jul 19, 2014 at 07:43 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old Homestead

Danpbphoto wrote:
Like this redo even better!
Nice job!!!
Dan

Thanks Dan, appreciate the kind words.

Mike

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Old Homestead

CH3NO2 wrote:
I like the branch too.

Thanks for the comment.

Mike

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Old Homestead

nice scene, but shadows/foreground is just too bright for me. I like the 1st version a bit better over the two shown.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Art Knight
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Old Homestead

Wife's right, keep the branch. Nice Image. art

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:36 AM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Old Homestead

JohnBrose wrote:
nice scene, but shadows/foreground is just too bright for me. I like the 1st version a bit better over the two shown.

Thanks for the comments John, are you suggesting masking the foreground or reducing dynamic range? I have played with both a bit since your comment. It focuses you more on the sky but I am not sure how I feel about the loss of detail.

Mike

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:56 AM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Old Homestead

Art Knight wrote:
Wife's right, keep the branch. Nice Image. art

Thanks Art, appreciate the comments.

Mike

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Old Homestead

pike40 wrote:
Thanks Art, appreciate the comments.

Mike

Mike,A good foreground could add, in your image does, interest to a picture, could be used to lead the eye of the viewer directly to the main subject, to add depth, emotion, mood, contrast, and can also be used to show environment which adds context to the image. It adds scale.
Without the branch, your image would loose much of all this.
It is a basics of photograpy.
Again..good composition.
Dan

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Old Homestead

I, too, prefer shot n°1? Somehow on the scond one, the busted-up house stands out less as the focal point of attention. And, overall, let me just say I would have been very happy take that shot.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Old Homestead

Nicely done!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Old Homestead

I'm just saying, your light source is the sunset, so when your forground and the far trees are so bright, it's just not normal looking to my mind. Like someone did a bit to much with a hdr filter or something. You don't have to get rid of details, just to bring back the exposure values closer to reality. Right now, the item that would normally be the brightest value in the scene is one of the darkest(the sky). Just my feelings.

Jul 20, 2014 at 01:51 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Old Homestead

Danpbphoto wrote:
Mike,A good foreground could add, in your image does, interest to a picture, could be used to lead the eye of the viewer directly to the main subject, to add depth, emotion, mood, contrast, and can also be used to show environment which adds context to the image. It adds scale.
Without the branch, your image would loose much of all this.
It is a basics of photograpy.
Again..good composition.
Dan

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your comments.

Mike

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:50 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Old Homestead

philber wrote:
I, too, prefer shot n°1? Somehow on the scond one, the busted-up house stands out less as the focal point of attention. And, overall, let me just say I would have been very happy take that shot.

Thanks for the comments, I have reworked the second photo again, see if the old house works better now.

Mike

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.