Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

Maineguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

I just bought a Canon 70-300mm IS/L lens and the the Canon C-Ring. I keep the BG-E7 grip on the 7D body ALL the time. This lens with the 7D, C-Ring and the BG-E7 do not allow the photographer to put this system on a tripod. I have 2 questions. First, I know its possible to mount this system on a tripod using the 1/4-20 threads on the bottom of the battery grip, BUT will the weight of this combination put undue stress on the lens mount and eventually hurt the 7D body? Secondly, does anyone know of an adapter that the shooter can put on the bottom of the C-Ring to allow the shooter to use this combination on a tripod? I know that many of you are saying, "just take the BG-E7 off of the 7D body and use the lens and C-Ring the way that Canon intended"! I hate shooting without the BG-E7 grip and probably should have a back-up 7D without the BG-E7 grip in my camera bag. It will be interesting to get comments on question #1 and #2.

Jul 18, 2014 at 09:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

Perhaps your A-S plate on the tripod collar is too short to move the camera/grip far enough back. Which ball head and plate are you using?

EBH

Jul 18, 2014 at 09:25 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

EB-1 wrote:
Perhaps your A-S plate on the tripod collar is too short to move the camera/grip far enough back. Which ball head and plate are you using?

EBH

Perhaps he was trying to mount the C-ring directly to the tripod without an A-S plate and/or ballhead

Jul 18, 2014 at 09:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

Well, that won't work too well. A plate is practically necessary nowadays.

EBH

Jul 18, 2014 at 09:42 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

Peter Urbanski wrote:
I just bought a Canon 70-300mm IS/L lens and the the Canon C-Ring. I keep the BG-E7 grip on the 7D body ALL the time. This lens with the 7D, C-Ring and the BG-E7 do not allow the photographer to put this system on a tripod. I have 2 questions. First, I know its possible to mount this system on a tripod using the 1/4-20 threads on the bottom of the battery grip, BUT will the weight of this combination put undue stress on the lens mount and eventually hurt the 7D body?

If canon deemed there to be enough weight (actually leverage) to stress the camera mount then they would have provided the ring with the lens . thats why the 2.8 series 70-200's come with the ring but the f4 versions dont . And actually I bet thats more to do with center of gravity pulling on the head rather than actually stressing the mount .
Your 70-300 is a short dumpy lens that weighs 300g more than a 70-200/4 , and as the 70-200 is longer I bet the actual leverage force on the mount is more from the 70-200 . even extended there is very little extra mass beyond the dumpy lens body on the 70-300L.

TDP shows the lens mounted on camera thats gripped and tripod mounted without the ring
http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Canon-EF-70-300mm-f-4-5.6-IS-L-USM-Lens/On-Tripod.jpg

Secondly, does anyone know of an adapter that the shooter can put on the bottom of the C-Ring to allow the shooter to use this combination on a tripod? I know that many of you are saying, "just take the BG-E7 off of the 7D body and use the lens and C-Ring the way that Canon intended"! I hate shooting without the BG-E7 grip and probably should have a back-up 7D without the BG-E7 grip in my camera bag. It will be interesting to get comments on question #1 and #2.

you would really buy another body just so you didnt have to remove the grip personally I dont like the grips . the only time I use mine on my 5D3 (came FREE with the camera as I wouldnt have actually purchased it) is with my 120-300 OS as that combo does feel a little better balanced with grip than without . everything else just feels over bulky and nothing like a 1 series which feels more natural and less bulky .
If your wanting to permanently use a gripped camera then a 1 series (1DIV ?) is a much better option .

as for a adapter I dont know . can you post a picture of the lens/ring/camera/grip combo so we can see how close the the grip is to the ring and how its not letting you mount on a tripod ?

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

Took a look at the lens with tripod collar attached, try reversing the tripod collar with the foot facing forward, this might get in the way of the focusing ring but the grip should still fit/work...found a photo via google images, shows the collar's foot facing backward, but I think it's a 3rd party foot, most Canon collars have a beveled edge where the foot might hit the body/grip. I bought a 3rd party collar for my 100L and it wouldn't clear my 7D w/grip...bought the 'real' one.

Update, the link below is to TDP's review of the tripod collar, it shows the foot facing forward, seems you can mount the ring in either direction, also note the beveled edge, hope this helps

Canon Tripod Mount Ring C (WII) for 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L Lenses Review
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Tripod-Mount-Ring-C-WII-Review.aspx

Cheers,
Jerry

Jul 19, 2014 at 02:21 AM
Maineguy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

I want to thank everyone for their input and ideas. I think Ian D. is on the right track in that Canon would have provided the C-Ring for the 70-300 IS/L lens if they thought it was necessary. Therefore, the lens, camera and BG-E7 grip can be directly mounted on a tripod using the 1/4-20 thread at the bottom of the grip and the shooter does not have to worry about the stress placed on the lens mount and camera.
I'm not sure as to why I didn't think of REVERSING the C-Ring on the lens, but Stillfingerz did! Daaaahhh! This TOTALLY solves the problem! The shooter can use the lens, camera, BG-E7 and and C-Ring at the same time AND change from horizontal to vertical format on the tripod! Please see the pictures enclosed….problem solved! Thanks Stillfingerz! Sometimes the answer is right in front of our nose!

Jul 19, 2014 at 07:37 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

That is the right way to mount the ring on the lens, not the other way around.

Jul 19, 2014 at 07:44 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

Peter, glad to have helped, it was Canon's Super Telephotos that gave me the idea/thought, most of their tripod collar feet point forward, so I just figured they'd keep with that design with a standard tele

That looks like a nice setup, is that a Hoodman eyecup on your 7D and if so how do you like it?

Cheers,
Jerry

Jul 19, 2014 at 07:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 70-300mm IS L on a tripod without the C-Ring?

JameelH wrote:
That is the right way to mount the ring on the lens, not the other way around.

+1

Jul 20, 2014 at 07:05 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.