Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

herion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Just got the message this morning - my lens shipped! Waiting to get the tracking information!

Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2014 at 02:04 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Uh, OK!

Jul 18, 2014 at 05:35 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Depending on when the mail comes, the lens will be here on Wednesday or Thursday

Jul 18, 2014 at 05:48 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Congrats.
Now that you posted this, you are morally obligated to let us know how you like it, and post sample pics, when you get it.

Jul 18, 2014 at 06:16 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Fred - but of course!!!! It is not only my honor, but my duty!

Jul 18, 2014 at 06:20 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Cool, congrats!!

I am definitely looking forward to seeing what you think. I don't recall seeing anyone else that has one?

Do you have anything interesting to compare it to? The 55-250 STM? 70-200 2.8 or 4.0?

Just in case you are interested in testing it out, I have been using these articles from Roger Cicala to test the used lenses that I buy:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/02/setting-up-an-optical-testing-station

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/02/examples-using-an-optical-testing-station

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/11/how-to-test-a-lens

I haven't ever done all of this. But I did set up a test chart in the basement. I like to use my strobes to get a good shutter speed and eliminate vibration. YMMV.

Good luck!
Michael

Jul 18, 2014 at 07:43 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Duplicate

Edited on Jul 19, 2014 at 03:56 PM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2014 at 07:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

herion wrote:
Just got the message this morning - my lens shipped! Waiting to get the tracking information!

Woo-hoo!

It's only a lens. Best to save your excitement for the days when you are making great photos with the lens.

Jul 18, 2014 at 07:55 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

mmurph wrote:
Cool, congrats!!

I am definitely looking forward to seeing what you think. I don't recall seeing anyone else that has one?

Do you have anything interesting to compare it to? The 55-250 STM? 70-200 2.8 or 4.0?

Just in case you are interested in testing it out, I have been using these articles from Roger Cicala to test the used lenses that I buy:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/02/setting-up-an-optical-testing-station

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/02/examples-using-an-optical-testing-station

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/11/how-to-test-a-lens

I haven't ever done all of this. But I did set up a test chart in the basement. I like to use my strobes to get a good shutter speed and eliminate vibration. YMMV.

Good luck!
Michael

There are a couple of folks that got it via DigitalRev on DPR. The closest I have to this is my 70-300 DO. I have used it on my M and it does take delightful pics with great sharpness. I did have a 200mm prime a while ago and that was one sweet lens .... hmmmm .... look for that or wait for Photokina ....

Jul 18, 2014 at 08:23 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

herion wrote:
I did have a 200mm prime a while ago and that was one sweet lens .... hmmmm .... look for that or wait for Photokina ....

I have been looking for Sigma lenses for my Nikon D7100, mostly because they focus & zoom in the same direction as Canon. That helps lesson my "muscle memory" confusion when switching between the 2 systems,

In the process I have seen some good prices on Sigma primes for Canon, which are often much cheaper than their corresponding Nikon versions. Maybe because Canon seems to have more, cheaper lenses available used in some categories?

I had never purchased non-OEM lenses before. So far I have been happy with the Sigma though.

Anyway ... looking forward to your tests. And to Photokina, for so many reasons. First, to see if Canon **finally** gives us a new sensor. I ma "hedging" my bets with the D7100, hanging on to my T4i and my $5,000 in Canon glass. And my 2 EOS M bodies and lenses & adapter ...

Then to see if we get an M with a new sensor and Dual Pixel Auto Focus ....

Cheers!
Michael

Jul 19, 2014 at 02:56 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Michael - I'm hoping (against hope, I know ... ) for a Sony A7 killer based on the M. I have a few non-OEM lenses (all of them APS-C specific - 2 Sigmas and a Tokina) and they've all been great.

I'm looking at the Sigma 15mm fisheye as well. It's a fun lens and if some FF EOS-M comes out, it would be great for it.

Similarly, a EF/EF (or EF/EF-M) SpeedBooster/Focal reducer from Canon would be a welcome addition!

Jul 19, 2014 at 06:38 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Sony A7 killer seems rather unlikely. However if Canon just releases a body with good AF and a couple more lenses, like a portrait lens and a faster standard zoom, then it will suddenly become a very competent APS-C mirrorless contender.

Jul 19, 2014 at 06:50 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Canon will get around to throwing more resources EF-M mount, when it feels like it has no other choice.

They laid some smart groundwork: a large bayonet and APS-C sensor.

You don't need to be first out of the gate to endure. Canon will, for sure.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:57 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

Let us know how you like the lens. I am very curious about it.

I think Canon has the makings of a great system when they finally decided to put their muscle behind it.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM
herion
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

The lens arrived TWO DAYS EARLY!!!!

And ... as I promised, here are a couple of sample shots using the lens. First impressions - great sharpness, great contrast and AF speed is the approximately the same as the 18-55. You can turn off the IS in the menu. Build quality ins on par with the other EF-M lenses.

All of these photos are straight out of the camera - no post-processing.

I feel bad for an EOS-M owner in the Netherlands - he got a defocused copy. Mine looks to be tack sharp across the field.

© herion 2014

© herion 2014

Focus was on the cell tower receivers

© herion 2014

Shifted a little when doing the full shutter press - was aiming for the window ...

© herion 2014

Edited on Jul 21, 2014 at 06:33 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:24 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My EF-M 55-200 shipped from Henry's !!

The remainder of the samples....

© herion 2014

© herion 2014

© herion 2014

Focus point on the blue candy in back

© herion 2014

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.