Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Should I be worried...

msacks

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I be worried...

Hi,

I purchased a lens yesterday from a posting in the Buy & Sell gear forum. Communication with the seller was great yesterday, but since I paid for the lens (Jul 17, 14 08:20 PM EST), communication has ceased.

I'm starting to get concerned that I've been scammed, and wanted some input from other members. The seller 'daomak' has a great feedback rating, so not sure what's up. I've left repeated PM's and text messaged the seller as well. I paid with PayPal, so as far as I know I'm covered, but wanted to know what others here think?

Thanks in advance,

--Mitch

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:29 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I be worried...

Give the guy a break, it's only been a couple of hours since you've paid for the lens

No offense, but kindly do not buy anything from me in the future. Besides, you're benefiting from the buy & sell service here on the forum without paying the subscription?

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:44 PM
msacks

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I be worried...

Wow. I was a little hesitant to post my question, and this was my first post ever here, but I have to say I never expected to get blasted like this, your response was just uncalled for.

First off, it’s been almost 24 hours (not just a few hours). I would think any reputable seller would have respond to my inquiries by now.

Secondly, making statements like “do not buy anything from me in the future”, and “you're benefiting from the buy & sell service here on the forum without paying the subscription” are just ridiculous. Of course I’m benefitting from the service, that’s why it’s there, and as far as I’m aware, buyers do not have to pay for this service.

Perhaps you’re just having a bad day and decided to take it out on me, but seriously dude, your response was out of line.

For anyone else out there, what’s a reasonable amount of time to go without communication from the seller, before I start reaching out to PayPal to cancel the transaction and obtain a refund? Obviously a day is too soon, but two days, three, a week? What say you?

Jul 18, 2014 at 02:25 PM
drive_75
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I be worried...

Hijazist is a little rude but he he is correct. You may not have any experience buying and that may have caused you to be nervous. First of all, it's only been one day. People have life outside of FM. I have people sometime doesn't respond to me for days because they got busy. Give the guy another day and send him another message.

Jul 18, 2014 at 02:33 PM
msacks

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I be worried...

Thanks drive_75! I've bought and sold quite a bit of gear on eBay, but never here on FM which is why I'm a bit nervous. I'll give it another day and see how it goes.

Jul 18, 2014 at 02:38 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I be worried...

Sorry drive_75 but I wasn't rude at all, maybe direct but not rude. No need for name-calling btw...

The OP mentioned that he's "left repeated PM's and text messaged the seller as well" after less than 14hrs from the sale and I was being honest that this is not something I would like to deal with in the future as a seller and be called out publicly on the forum as a potential scammer after a couple of hours of the sale, I used "no offense" and "kindly" which is specifically to show that I wasn't trying to be rude.

Good luck with the transaction msacks...

Jul 18, 2014 at 02:40 PM
drive_75
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I be worried...

hijazist wrote:
Sorry drive_75 but I wasn't rude at all, maybe direct but not rude. No need for name-calling btw...

The OP mentioned that he's "left repeated PM's and text messaged the seller as well" after less than 14hrs from the sale and I was being honest that this is not something I would like to deal with in the future as a seller and be called out publicly on the forum as a potential scammer after a couple of hours of the sale, I used "no offense" and "kindly" which is specifically to show that I wasn't trying to be rude.

Good luck
...Show more

Sorry didn't mean to call you rude. I agree with you at the same time OP react to things he haven't experience before.

Jul 18, 2014 at 05:50 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I be worried...

A good rule of thumb is if the seller expects to be paid within x hours/days, the seller should respond within that time limit as a maximum.

If a seller can not respond within a reasonable amount of time, then they should not be listing items for sale.

Jul 18, 2014 at 08:23 PM
msacks

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I be worried...

The lens arrived today and was exactly as described.

Thanks everyone for all the help and assurance, I'll certainly be more patient next time!

Jul 21, 2014 at 08:08 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I be worried...

I like to get a phone number and do a little chat as I am ready to make a purchase.

Aug 03, 2014 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.