New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

sapper_6

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

Aside from the MP being makro, built for a DSLR and having a longer focus travel (true?) I can't seem to pinpoint the differences. I have used and loved the 50MP on my Nikon FF body and am soon picking up a Sony A7(x) and would like to choose one of these.

Any guidance would be lovely

Cheers,

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:15 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

I have always found and expressed the opinion on this forum that these 2 lenses have a very similar drawing style and character. The ZM is probably better in the corners though.

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:22 PM
sapper_6

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

Well, if those are the only differences I dont think I can go wrong.

Jul 18, 2014 at 02:32 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

One thing to be aware of is that the ZM is prone to develop movement in the front of the lens that people describe as wobble. Word of mouth makes it sound fairly common, but I've never shot with one that had it, so I don't know if it has any ill effects beyond annoyance.

You're partially right about the focus travel on the MP, but the travel for common distances (infinity to .7m) is probably close to the same if not longer on the ZM. There's also a big difference between the two in the way they handle light entering the front element. The baffled entrance on the MP means that, in most general shooting situations, it won't need a hood. Not true for the ZM, and in some scenarios, even with the hood, you'll get higher contrast results out of the MP, particularly if you're using a helicoid adapter or tubes on the ZM for close focusing.

Beyond that, I'd say the biggest draw difference is in the bokeh. At common focus distances, the MP shows more structure where the ZM is a bit softer. Given the price difference, I'd say go with the ZM for general purpose and use the money you save over the MP to purchase a Contax S 60/2.8 macro. Where the MP is native 1:2, needing a tube to go 1:1, the Contax is native 1:1, so it'll give you more range as macro lens.

Jul 19, 2014 at 02:47 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

Of these two, I have only used the ZF 50/2 on Nikon 24x36 bodies.
Personally, I'd find the limited close focus of the ZM lens extremely frustrating on a TTL-view camera.

Jul 19, 2014 at 02:59 AM
sapper_6

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

Thank you all, I'm learning a lot.

Jul 19, 2014 at 08:30 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

At the expense of quoting the obvious, the ZM is much smaller/lighter. If you want your A7 kit to be smaller and lighter than a DSLR kit, dont' use DSLR lenses, else you are giving away most of that advantage. In WA you may not have that much choice (yet), but in 50mm and up, it matters. As to the lenses themselves, the MP has a slightly clinical look (as opposed to, say, the Planar f:1.4) which the ZM doesn't exhibit. And if you want the ZM to go closer up (though not macro), you can always get a helicoid M-to-E-mount adapter

Jul 19, 2014 at 09:47 AM
SteveDK
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

I’d go for the Sony/Zeiss 55mm/1.8 for the A7 series. It’s native to the mount of the camera so there is no possibility of adapter skew throwing off the focus plane, plus you would get all the EXIF data, autofocus and other benefits of the lens that’s designed for the camera. It’s supposed to be a fantastic lens.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss ZM 50 f2 Planar vs Zeiss ZF 50 f2 MP

It's native, has AF, and is fantastically sharp. But that is about all that's positive that I have to say about it. If I could have ZM performance in that package, I'd be the happiest camper, alas.... However, I am aware that this is a minority opinion.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.