Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

EB-1 wrote:
In the first image the saturation is almost gone,

Yup, that's the rendering I dialed in.

Peter Figen wrote:
There's so little saturation in the image that it's hard to imagine how any monitor would add as much as you say. I don't think there's a way to dial UP the inherent saturation of a monitor, but I suppose a funky monitor profile might help.

+1 @ hard to imagine ... but that's probably why it struck me as strongly as it did.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

Peter Figen wrote:
There's so little saturation in the image that it's hard to imagine how any monitor would add as much as you say. I don't think there's a way to dial UP the inherent saturation of a monitor, but I suppose a funky monitor profile might help.

Saturation tracking of a monitor can easily be off. So long as you have a properly made profile and use color-managed software the max saturation should not be off, but any lower levels can easily be too high or too low.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

RustyBug wrote:
That is essentially what I was expecting to see ... then I saw a clear "brown" boot on the Mac.

I shouldn't have used the phrase 'perfectly neutral.' The eyedropper does show a few units of variance between channels, but that doesn't show as detectable color on my monitor or retina.

You might play with the monitor temperature. Try the old trick of generating a series of pure grey images (PS fill function works well) and 'snap' viewing them after going for a short walk around the house. If your first impression suggests a warm or cool tone...

Edited on Jul 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

It is a very faint brown colour on my Mac Mini and Hackintosh.

Jul 19, 2014 at 01:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

+1 @ very faint and not "perfectly neutral" ... that was the intended rendering.

Expecting to see "very faint" and seeing "rich with color" was quite the surprise.

Jul 19, 2014 at 06:50 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

Hi RustyBug,

Viewing on my 2011 27-inch iMac I see a hint of blue in the denim and with the remainder of the image appearing to have no noticeable color cast to it. Now, I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with this edit, but I can tell you that from a cursory, in-passing, look at the image my first impression was that you had merely taken a B&W shot. Meaning, that had this image been viewed in the context of scrolling through a thread of various images from a T5i one might never have noticed that there was any color in the image, whatsoever....the color is that subtle.

However, after reading this thread I decided to drag the image to my desktop and play around with it a bit to see what-was-what...

Blinking the image between B&W and back again there clearly is some color information to be found in the areas which originally appeared to me to have no color. That I were to guess in which direction the color shift is my guess would be towards the warmer side of things, and that observation based on the boot tongue (nearly imperceptibly) hints in that direction to my nearly 60-year-old eyes.

That one of my images where presenting so off-intention in a public gallery I would certainly be investigating the situation. My first questions to myself would be...did I give them the correct file? Did something happen to my file? And, I'd be asking for a copy of the file on display and chacking again on my own equipment to see if any alteration affecting the output were causing this effect.

Then, that the image jibed with the file I wished presented, I would then try to find out more about the gallery equipment being used which was causing this anomaly (that one still existed). That you're unfamiliar with OSX the first thing I would do is check the monitor profile (Apple Menu>System Preferences>Display) and see how the Display Profile has been set...e.g. "Display, MacBook Pro, Adobe 1998, Generic RGB, sRGB IEC61966-2.1, etc.". That it has a custom profile I would then toggle between the various profiles (Adobe RGB, sRGB, etc.) in the Displays preferences (just highlight the profile in the list and the screen will automatically do a refresh update...simple, no?) and see if any of the selections corrected the image's appearance back to what had been intended. That this fails, (i.e. all profile choices yield an overly colored representation of the image) then there is an issue with the Mac laptop's display monitor.

I would then inform the gallery that their Mac is in need of repair. No sense having yours and everyone else's images presenting poorly or incorrectly!

I hope this was of some help!
Jimmy G

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

Thanks Jimmy.

+1 @ color is that subtle ... experimenting with the edge of sublimination

Just for clarity ... I was merely referring them to the FM website and randomly pulled up this image of mine, expecting to see what I've seen so many times ... and clearly didn't.

This isn't an image/file that I've presented to them that they are displaying for me ... but, it certainly raises a potential issue in that regard. They are a startup gallery, and are booked up for a year already, so not an immediate "threat" to my displayed work, per se ... but I will see if I can help them a bit to better understand what they might be displaying on their site could be different from what they are looking at on their Mac.

+1 @ unfamiliar with Mac and settings, etc. so I'll proceed with caution ... although the gallery owner admits being very technically challenged in the digital realm and would possibly welcome my input.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

Seems pretty neutral to me.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are thinking that a non-Mac computer may be less able to do accurate color balance than a Mac. I'm a confirmed Mac user, but I tend to think that in most cases (at least with a good quality monitor!) you should be able to calibrate either to look correct, but calibration will likely be necessary if you want true accuracy.

I'll bet that there is a larger variation in monitor quality among PCs than among Macs since Apple can control the quality of all the monitors it uses in its products, while PCs are built by a wide range of manufacturers using an even wider range of suppliers' parts. In the end, with a top quality PC monitor and a Mac monitor, when both are calibrated the image should look pretty darned similar.

Dan

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Seems pretty neutral to me.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are thinking that a non-Mac computer may be less able to do accurate color balance than a Mac.

Well, I was concerned that my Thinkpads were coming up short ... and that I might need to consider another avenue (which Mac had not been previously considered). But it sounds like the gallery's Mac is just coming up long, rather than being representative of a properly calibrated Mac (which I was assuming that their Mac was supposed to be good right out of the box.)

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

RustyBug wrote:
...snip...

Just for clarity ... I was merely referring them to the FM website and randomly pulled up this image of mine, expecting to see what I've seen so many times ... and clearly didn't.

...snip...

Hi RustyBug,

Well, this certainly helps understand what is going on...t'would appear that we're, once again, up against (cue the music...dun, dun, dun, duuuun) "web browsers which do not display web image content correctly"!

If you're feeling charitable...the next time you visit these folks pull up these two links for them and give 'em a hand getting their browser to play nice with ICC profiles...

The first, a simple diagnostic tool (and I mean simple...as in, "match the top picture with the other three pictures"!) to determine what the problem is...

Is your system ICC Version 4 ready?:
http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

...thank you folks at the ICC!

And, second, a more thorough go-through to get things fixed...

WEB BROWSER COLOR MANAGEMENT Tutorial - Test Page FireFox Safari Chrome Internet Explorer IE 10- FILES have embedded ICC profiles Photoshop ColorManagement:
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

...thank you GBallard for doing the work and freely posting this information on the web!

As for the folks at the startup gallery...hopefully they'll be able to add "Un-technically challenged" (er, "technically Un-challenged...oh wait..."technically Savvy and Proficient"!) to their resume sooner vs. later. Oofah. A (hrrrrum, cough) free month-long "Artist Showcase" would make a nice thank you gift for your help and assistance!

Keep us posted should there be any followup developments.

It would be nice to see everyone meet with success!
Jimmy G

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:35 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What color is this boot on your monitor?

Looks black on my NEC Spectraview calibrated with Spder 4 Elite.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.