Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · New Otus no plastic wrap for Lens and hood?

taran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New Otus no plastic wrap for Lens and hood?

Reminds me of the Antiques Roadshow where the appraiser always points out that the packaging is the most valuable part of the item, and that the value is double what it would have been without it.

Jul 19, 2014 at 07:56 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New Otus no plastic wrap for Lens and hood?

If the lens tested good, I would not mind as long as it was discounted for not being "new" (an unopened, unused item as originally packaged by the manufacturer) as that does affect the price. The discount is something I would insist on if I were to keep it myself.

Jul 19, 2014 at 08:06 AM
gwaww
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New Otus no plastic wrap for Lens and hood?

I don't think that there is anyone at Zeiss that will personally guarantee that every lens that leaves their plant has plastic covering it. That may be their policy but I cannot believe that it would not be possible for a lens to leave without plastic. Hard to believe that if someone opened it at a warehouse that there is not more evidence of that. Did you ask Zeiss if you should be concerned? This kind of fear based thinking always amazes me. Go take pictures with your wonderful piece of equipment.

Jul 19, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New Otus no plastic wrap for Lens and hood?

If lens isnt in proper "from factory" package, it cant be sold as such.

If it was sold as "new", despite not being properly packaged, I see it as reason to return them, if possible and ask for truly new piece.

4000 USD isnt pocket money for some of us. I wouldnt be concerned about that someone touched it (my gear was always second, third.. multiple hand), but about whatever else might happen to it.

And there is that principle that opened gear should never be sold as new one. Even that is reason enough..

Jul 19, 2014 at 09:27 AM
taran
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New Otus no plastic wrap for Lens and hood?

gwaww wrote:
I don't think that there is anyone at Zeiss that will personally guarantee that every lens that leaves their plant has plastic covering it.

When you open a Zeiss lens, yes, there is a final inspection card with a personal handwritten signature, detailing the quality inspection for that specific lens. Such an inspection would of course include the packaging of such a lens, in plastic.

All expensive Zeisses come with this note. After purchasing a couple of ZF lenses with said factory packaging, I can tell you that if my $4000 Otus didn't come with a plastic bag, I would be very circumspect indeed.

The plastic bag, imho, is actually worth about $2000... it signifies the culmination of a testing process that involves japanese and german engineers, and a tradition of excellence dating back many decades.

Naturally, this is a Zeiss fanboy speaking, I really don't expect anyone to understand except for other Zeiss fanboys.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.