Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

Paul Tessier
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

In theory a 7DII could spec out to be a sweet piece and I may be interested in one myself. I feel though that if you look at the overall trending of things that a direct replacement of the 7D is not a given.

Jul 18, 2014 at 03:55 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

There is no credible evidence of a 1DX2 either. Do you think Canon is just going to give the pro sports market away to Nikon?

Canon has the resources to develop in parallel across different models. I doubt that a very much needed 7D2 will deter them from developing a 5D4 and a 1DX2 as well.

Jul 18, 2014 at 04:08 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

I appreciate all the input so far and would love to continue to hear everyone's opinion on the matter.

I've decided on getting the 7D to hold me over. One because I'm looking for something to take to San Diego in September and would provide me with a little additional reach that I don't have with my current kit (longest lens would be the 70 with the kit zoom). I'm looking to keep it native without any adapters and don't want to spend $1,500 on the 70-200. It's just a matter of when and at what price I want to get it. I have a number in mind that I'm looking to pay for body only, wouldn't need the grip which a lot of bodies on the B&S are selling with, so only I will know when to go.

I did entertain the idea of a 70D, a t4 or 5i, but at the end of the day I decided to stay with the 7D. Yes the 70D has much improved features over the 7D and if I were set on keeping the camera I'm buying now for the long haul I'd probably get the 70D instead, despite the higher price tag. But because I do want the 7DM2 if and when it releases, I see the path of least money lost with the 7D. Who knows maybe I'll keep the original 7D as a backup. And if and when the 7DM2 comes out I envision all of the improvements they put into the 70D in the new model along with additional features.

Jul 18, 2014 at 04:33 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

My bet is that 7D2 is in stores late September/early October.

Jul 18, 2014 at 04:36 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

TMaG82 wrote:
I appreciate all the input so far and would love to continue to hear everyone's opinion on the matter.

I've decided on getting the 7D to hold me over. One because I'm looking for something to take to San Diego in September and would provide me with a little additional reach that I don't have with my current kit (longest lens would be the 70 with the kit zoom). I'm looking to keep it native without any adapters and don't want to spend $1,500 on the 70-200. It's just a matter of when and at what price I want to get
...Show more

Good choice. I personally think that currently the used 7D is a real bargain. I have one that is very seldom used but the prices of them now makes it hard to let it go.

Jul 18, 2014 at 04:46 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

bipock wrote:
70d>7d in all aspects except FPS, which doesn't seem to be of huge concern to you. I wouldn't waste the money on the 7d.

7d better:
burst size = 25 or so. 7od can't do this. Combined with faster fps this makes it better for wildlife.
spot focus
Uses CF cards

Same:
iso performance

70d better
less noisy image requires less noise cleanup when not great exposure
~10% more resolution

Although it would be close, I would prefer the 7d over the 70d, just because they are very similar but 7d has better burst.

Jul 19, 2014 at 02:30 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

Spot focus is a great advantage of the 7D over the 70D.

Jul 19, 2014 at 04:31 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Eagerly anticipating the 7DM2, worthwhile to get a 7D as a stop gap?

I have a 5d3. Its wonderful. the af is amazing. the size is about the same as 7d (which I also owned). but you have had that already, and feel for your style of photography you need more reach.
I have owned most of canon offerings from xxxd, xxd and 5d, including all the sl1, t3i, 70d and 7d
for family shooting, I think 70d is the best canon makes. its has the cleanest files, very good af, perfect size, and awesome for video, which to me is very important as I have little kids also.
That said, the crop camera I use now is a sony a6000. it is in an entirely different league AF wise, entirely. Paired with a sony 50 1.8 or 35 1.8, I would take it over a 7D with a prime. it focuses more consistently. I also love the face detection, and low angle shooting using lcd. It gives me the freedom to compose without fussing the choosing focus point. It is liberating.
Now if you shoot wildlife, the dlsr is still the way to go for the lenses available, as well as lack of importance of face detection.

So in summary, if you are open to all suggestion, I suggest a6000. If you are looking for a canon dslr, I suggest 70D. If you have your heart set on a 7d2, and think would 7D be good, the answer is yes

swing action sequence with sony and 50 1.8
dave swing by kevindar, on Flickr

hummer with 55 250
a6000-1 by kevindar, on Flickr

portrait
flickr-2-13 by kevindar, on Flickr

I have a ton of action shots of kids, just not much on the internet

good luck

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.