Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Products/Prices for high school sports

Cape Anton

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Products/Prices for high school sports

I am meeting with both the athletic director and head of the booster club of a local high school next week. They subscribe to the Big Teams web management/photo sales site. I have had an informal arrangement with this school in the past, but I was supplanted by a student. Needless to say, that didn't work out too well for them. They paid nothing and got nothing (or almost nothing) in return.

I already have an informal agreement with the yearbook sponsor for $35 per game, but I don't want to double bill the school, nor do I want to have my fee cut in half by charging just that for two entities from the same school.

I am trying to find out if any members here have had the same, or similar, situation. My questions are threefold:

What kind of contract did you have, i.e., for how much coverage--how many games per team per season?

What kind of end product did you offer, i.e. digital negatives, prints, online sales?

How much did you charge?

Please only offer constructive ideas. I know I am charging very little, but I am retired and have made good money from wedding and sports photography when I was younger. I have no professional competition in the area, so I am not trying to undercut anyone.

TIA,

Anton

Jul 17, 2014 at 07:57 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Products/Prices for high school sports

Oh man, I do yearbook stuff and they print so small that ISO 6400 on my D5200 looks as clean as ISO 100. I'm a student doing it for practice and fun, as I suppose in Canada people don't care about highschool sports as much as in the States. So, my advice may or may not be completely valid - I'm not totally sure what people like in America.
I would say that a yearbook wants at least one game covered per sport, plus important games like finals, plus extra coverage of the popular stuff like football. So, between soccer, football, hockey, basketball, lacrosse, tennis, badminton, track and field, and a few others, I'd assume 15-20 games. Maybe. If you're just doing field sports, perhaps 10-15. I could be way off here, depends on the school. Anyways, that's around $500 if you go by the informal arrangement. Sports don't pay, so that seems like a reasonable amount to me. I'd even be willing to go lower, and go to a few extra games for a soon to be outlined reason... Selling photos to parents. If you have a Smugmug or Zenfolio or whatever where you can upload a bunch of shots from a game and have parents come on to buy downloads, you could make a decent amount provided you got word out to them. If you had the athletics director give kids a handout with your site address, and if you promoted yourself and handed out business cards at each game, you could be able to make some decent money with this. I've not tried this though, so it could be hit or miss depending on the region. I'd assume that prints wouldn't be in high demand, but you could offer them as well just in case. I think Smugmug automates that very well if you don't want to deal with that too much.
Anyways, I hope this helps! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, shooting HS sports is fun enough and when you get paid for it I imagine it's even more fun.

Jul 17, 2014 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.