FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Misty Mountains

Nexed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Misty Mountains

Misty mountains, through heavy haze. Post-processed with Google's Nik Collection.

© Nexed 2014

Misty Himalayas

Jul 17, 2014 at 04:45 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Misty Mountains

I like the subject. But it seems a tad flat thru the entire image. Maybe Viveza2 or SEfx Pro can bring out some structure to the mountain ridges and to the mid level clouds. Also some more light on the right? Contrast?
Now I can't tell if it is in B/w? But that is just my eyes.

The composition does invoke emotion, scale and depth.....
Now these are just my comments..if it pleases you..fine!
Dan

Jul 17, 2014 at 08:51 AM
Nexed
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Misty Mountains

Thanks! I've put it through viveza, and sharing the result. Also sharing the original.

© Nexed 2014

Post-Viveza

© Nexed 2014

Original image

Jul 17, 2014 at 09:26 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Misty Mountains

A vast improvement! I can see more detail and there is more scale, depth and emotion fg to bg. And I now see that it IS a color image.
I still think the right might be enhanced w/ a bit more brightness. But that is just my opinion.
Good job. Play with this a bit...you have the tools...
Dan

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Misty Mountains

Hi Nexed,

The edit is much better here, except for 2 things. That cloud in the middle is now blown out, and being the brightest area in the scene it now becomes the visual focal point. That's not what you want. You need to use a layer mask here to protect that cloud from blowing out, or if you are using a preset program like it sounds like, then find an option that adds the contrast while not allowing areas to blow out.

The 2nd thing is still the same as was first mentioned, the right side of the image is too dark. Its like a band of darkness over the whole right side, almost like an ND Grad was used sideways in the image. This would be a case where a layer mask over that right side could be used to allow that side to not get so dark.

I think the composition has a lot of potential, but you are dealing with some tricky light in this, so a bit more care will be needed to bring out that full potential.

Jim

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Nexed
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Misty Mountains

Thanks for all the useful comments. I'm using mostly preset stuff here, so I'll see what I can do about the right side, and the blown out clouds. Post-processing is not something I have much experience in, so all the suggestions are great.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Misty Mountains

Nexed wrote:
Thanks for all the useful comments. I'm using mostly preset stuff here, so I'll see what I can do about the right side, and the blown out clouds. Post-processing is not something I have much experience in, so all the suggestions are great.

I am not that proficient either. But Nik has some wonderful tutorials to follow. Try viewing those.
Also if you have PS CS5 or 6, the ACR Clarity, Vibrance, Shadows and other sliders are wonderful in enhancing hidden detail.
Like I said above..you have a goood subject "to play" with.
Good luck!
Dan

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Nexed
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Misty Mountains

Yeah, Nik really is very wonderful. Still finding my way around it, and I tried to do something here from scratch that maybe seems better on the whole to me.

One thing I noticed is that increasing detail/structure does cause the left side to darken. I think it was raining in that region, so that might explain it? It certainly was a wet day. I can't quite account for why it gets selectively dark there, otherwise.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Misty Mountains

Allot better!
I can see detail, fire trails, actual trees in the foreground now plus more detail in the entire composition. Sky is looking more dramatic also.
Good work Raj!
Nik tools are wonderful but can take some time to really get the "jist" of them. I have had them for many years and I still learn something everytime I use them.

If you have ColorEfxPro, play with it some...you might find you can get some addtl color out.
Look forward to more of your work!
Dan

Jul 17, 2014 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.